Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

IsWas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2014, 3:35 am

I have noticed there is a huge deficiency in the availability of adult support for Spectrum individuals - by this I mean support groups, ways to learn coping skills, network. I am sure there may be more services available for children and for "life skills" or job training, but not what I am looking for. Ladies, is this across the board for you too?
It dawned on me that because AS is under diagnosed and undiagnosed in women, it does not often get perceived as a support necessity - and let's face it, the skills and support I am interested in are the last thing a guy (even an aspie guy) is gonna ask for! Men don't often seek out support or ask for direction. Is this a possible reason we don't have much in the way of adult services? Thoughts?

legokitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2014, 7:38 am

I agree. There is a huge deficit in services for adults, especially women. Even in major cities that have services for children, there are none for women. They refuse to work with adults and have no recommendations or referrals. It appears that is it a money issue. Parents will throw money are their children's problems. The service providers do not have the same level of accountability as they would to an adult client. If you are HFA, female, and adult there is nothing for you. The few small books out there are highly limited in scope and not worth the money.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 4:35 am

This is a major problem I have had - diagnosed in one city and the psychologist who did could not find any resources for an adult at all. Now I am in a different city and still at a loss.