Do you expect people to read your Posts?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:41 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
i would expect the thread creator to read what i posted in their thread.

This.

The only thing that annoys me is when I take the time to write out a long response to someone's question or whatever in their thread and they don't even respond or at least acknowledge that I posted it, yet they respond to other posts. That annoys me. I never say anything but it's like, "okay I took 5-10 minutes (sometimes longer) to respond to your thread and you don't even bother to read/reply or at least acknowledge that I posted? Thanks."

Whatever though.

As for my posts in general threads. I don't expect people to reply or read them because I know sometimes I can go on long tangents so my posts can be pretty long sometimes.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 7:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:
babybird wrote:
It is the most important post you will never read.

I just realized. I have a general rule. I will read all the responses posted to a topic I started.

Assuming, of course, that the WP notification service is working (which is not always the case).

I generally respond to all responses if I start a thread. Not everyone does, For me it's a matter of common courtesy...

I really appreciate responses to what in post. I'm usually trying to be helpful and I like to know whether I've accomplished that or not.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 8:31 pm

cathylynn wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:
babybird wrote:

I just realized. I have a general rule. I will read all the responses posted to a topic I started.

Assuming, of course, that the WP notification service is working (which is not always the case).

I generally respond to all responses if I start a thread. Not everyone does, For me it's a matter of common courtesy...

I really appreciate responses to what in post. I'm usually trying to be helpful and I like to know whether I've accomplished that or not.

That's a good reason :)

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2014, 9:19 pm

Of course! A brilliant thinker like me, it would be foolish for others not to read attentively everything I write. I expect that to stand in awe as I divulge the truths of the universe. Hehehehehe :p

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 9:43 pm

I wouldn't post it if I didn't want anyone to read it.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2014, 3:11 am

I would at least expect the OP of a thread to read my response. Whether or not anyone chooses to respond to what I wrote is another thing, but I'm on these forums to share my ideas and experiences with others who may be going through similar situations.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:49 am

I think i must expect people to read my posts because I am careful in what I post.
If i really did not think anyone is reading this i would not bother with editing or wording.

If you want someone to read your posts keep them short.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 8:41 am

Rocket123 wrote:
I should clarify. When I start a new thread, I am hoping people will read it and respond. Because I am asking a question to the WP community.

I think it may depend on the nature of the thread. I post threads for discussion and sometimes to advocate for an action. I've noticed (from comparing polling results to the responses) that there appear to be many WPers who read my threads, may at least partially agree with me, but don't want to post a response for whatever reason.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:29 am

Ettina wrote:
I wouldn't post it if I didn't want anyone to read it.

This, why do something if it accomplishes nothing, if no one is going to read it I can talk to my wall instead and it is easier than typing the thing out.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
i would expect the thread creator to read what i posted in their thread.

I wouldn't even expect that tbh.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2014, 7:27 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
I should clarify. When I start a new thread, I am hoping people will read it and respond. Because I am asking a question to the WP community.

From what I have seen to date, it seems there are different kinds of threads on WP:

1. Threads that contain a question about how the world works or how to behave in a particular situation. These threads tend to attract people who have been thinking about a particular topic, and are a great way to validate one's observations or to connect with others who share an interest. As you indicate, the person asking the question is hoping for insights from others, and expects some kind of response or interaction.

2. Threads that describe the mental state of the writer at the time of writing, where the initial post makes it clear that the writer is looking for immediate support and encouragement from others.

3. Threads that describe the mental state of the writer at the time of writing, with no request for support and encouragement from others. In these cases it is impossible to know whether the writer is looking for immediate support, or whether the post is simply a personal journal entry.

I might read but would not tend to respond to the third kind of thread.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2014, 4:24 pm

When I look at a thread for the first time, I skim it through and respond to (or otherwise use the information in) anything I find interesting or useful. On the assumption that many others do the same, I expect that most or all of my posts will be at least skimmed, but whether or not they are read properly depends on whether each reader finds them useful.

Sometimes I put thoughts out to vent emotions and these are more for myself, so I don't care if the general membership reads them or not, as long as they are read by those in similar circumstances; people feeling the same things can often find it comforting (or for positive things, encouraging) to know that they are not alone.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:35 pm

babybird wrote:
I will be expecting everybody to read this post.

Mind...blown..... :lol:

I think expectation is too strong of a word. I hope that I might elicit a new perspective, or thoughtful feedback when I post an issue, but if it's not relevant to the reader it's a waste of time for them.

People are going to be looking for different things from responses, so a natural gravitation is a good thing.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:48 pm

I hope that people will read my posts, but I don't expect it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 5:27 pm

Well for me I use wp as a safe haven and talk about things that I can't normally talk about other to other people or if I told I'm wouldn't understand I love seeing people post on my threads . I try to read and respond to as many posts if I can it take me long to post normally because I have to figure out what I'm going to say and I have to read what the person posted carefully because I have low processing speed I use a keyboard that's speech to text on my iPhone so if I physically cannot type I could post what I need to say ( also my computer/ computers that I used to type with breaks a lot and I have my phone in our box case so I can't break it as easily)but often it does take me a long time even speaking because usually I find writing better than speaking but lately I've been speaking more because it's hard for me physically and usually by the time I post I'm really exhausted or sensory overload plus it's good speech therapy .

Sometimes I will try to post spontaneously but it often doesn't come as fast as most people type their post because I have to think about it (also my low processing speed and my physical pommes cause me to have to check the spelling a lot ) even if I am posting it spontaneously I can't just type something and press submit .

Also some posts I can't respond right away because I don't understand what they're writing often times when I hear people reply to their post I get a little bit better understanding of it and then I'm able to share my thoughts. again sometimes I just can't comprehend when I'm reading on these posts. But I'm 15 so I guess that's expected. I am always hoping that people will post on my thread.