Is it common for aspies to NOT eat in public?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 7:36 pm

RikkiK wrote:
I detest eating in public. hate. it.

That's my husband. If he could be tube fed. I think he would do it.

He has a zillion sensory food related issues. The act of chewing just gags him. Smells. Textures. People! Noises. He has a hard time using utensils, and can make a mess.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 7:49 pm

I'd rather not eat in public. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I also hate watching others eat in public. Every now and then I say to my girlfriend how much I hate having to eat, the deciding what to eat, going and buying the different ingredients, making it. I've often said to her I wish I was an android so I could just recharge with a battery pack or something :lol:

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 7:50 pm

In school I was supposed to eat in a cafeteria, but I only did it two times I guess, which made me after that eat nothing as I got the "tickets" for cafeteria food but as I did not go there, I got no food at all, but my memory of this cafeteria is one big overload, so I refused to go there.
Before I also was not able to eat, I do not know the reasons why, I guess because there was no clear instruction for it, but in kindergarden/primary school I got sandwiches from home but failed to eat them, after weeks they made a big mass of fungus in my bag, infected books and papers, got scolded for it, but it was beyond my capacity, during my whole time in school.
I always was very under-weighted due to lack of food.
I do not like to eat in restaurants, also not with people, but it is not necessary, but I still have to watch out for my weight, as I am under-weighted and do not feel a strong connection to food.
I perceive food as an abstract, coloured, in some form shaped object just like any other objects and there is no stimulation in my brains starting to make me eat.
Smell can make a difference, but then someone else needs to prepare it, because to me the abstract, coloured, in some form shaped objects do not make me undertake any action, except if I get instructed.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm

Used to be a problem, not particularly anymore aside from the very limited things I do eat. Can't eat on my feet or on the move though, I believe some people do that.

Voider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm

I never have had a problem with eating in public. While I was excluded from most people's tables until high school, I still ate wherever and how I wanted to. Also, I love going to restaurants, regardless of who's there.

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2014, 5:43 am

I avoid eating with others as much as possible, but that's mostly due to misophonia. Sometimes crowded restaurants are a bit too much as well, but I am ok with eating with a few people if none of them is a loud chewer and we're in the right environment. I don't mind people looking at me while I'm eating, I mind having to look at them :lol:

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2014, 6:09 am

I can only eat when someone else is eating and it must be at a appropriate time, for example when it's time for lunch. The only difficult part regarding eating lunch on a circular table is that wherever you look, there will be someone in front of you which I find disturbingly annoying. Anyone else like this?

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

I will eat wherever I am hungry. I am a bit self-conscious if there's an overriding social etiquette reason not to; but otherwise, will generally will sit on a park bench eating a sandwich, in a burger king or whatever (well, when I did eat that kind of thing before my diet/walking/gym regime), walk down the street eating chocolate (ditto) and don't care who sees me. Sadly, having lost 4.5st in a year with 2.5st to go, my days of eating junk food and sweets are sadly gone :(