Is it common for aspies to NOT eat in public?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TroubledPast
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2014, 8:42 pm

Let's start by saying I'm new to WrongPlanet, so...hi.
Now that I feel a bit more comfortable, I wanted to ask a question: Is it common for people with Asperger's to refuse to eat in public? I was asking because I do not eat in public anymore. When I'm at school, I have to be forced to eat, which I find ridiculous. However, I have no trouble eating at home-that is, unless someone is staring straight at me.

Is this common? What do I do about it? Thanks.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2014, 8:57 pm

TroubledPast wrote:
Let's start by saying I'm new to WrongPlanet, so...hi.
Now that I feel a bit more comfortable, I wanted to ask a question: Is it common for people with Asperger's to refuse to eat in public? I was asking because I do not eat in public anymore. When I'm at school, I have to be forced to eat, which I find ridiculous. However, I have no trouble eating at home-that is, unless someone is staring straight at me.

Is this common? What do I do about it? Thanks.

I hated lunch in High School. We sat at circular tables. Everywhere you looked you were staring at someone. The only other thing you could stare at was other people's food, and that made me look like a creeper. I'm so glad I am in college now. I can eat whenever and wherever I want and everyone is accepting here.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

I haven't eaten in the cafeteria in years. If I have nowhere else to go, I'll eat on the stairwell or in the drama class's costume room

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:26 pm

Even though I rarely go out, I do go to restaurants when I'm in the mood. Yes, I dine alone, but it seems like the places I go to always have other people eating alone. I don't mind it.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:35 pm

I have no problem with eating in a restaurant. It's actually one of the few times I am perfectly comfortable.

TroubledPast
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2014, 9:39 pm

Oren wrote:
I have no problem with eating in a restaurant. It's actually one of the few times I am perfectly comfortable.

Yeah, I don't have any problem eating at restaurants either. It's just school that I have a problem with.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:46 pm

I remember avoiding the school cafeteria too. Do you guys get teased there? Or feel like you are being ostracized? Or just generally have to be around people you don't like and don't trust? Ahhh, the good old days of high school.

Pastanoodle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2014, 9:47 pm

I can't eat in public. I can't even eat in front of coworkers. I don't know why!

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:53 pm

When I was younger I wouldn't eat in front of most people. At some point I outgrew it and didn't care any more but I can remember not wanting to eat in front of others well into my teens. I can't remember when I outgrew it.

This caused me a lot of trouble in school.

Last edited by hanyo on 09 Feb 2014, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TroubledPast
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2014, 9:53 pm

wozeree wrote:
I remember avoiding the school cafeteria too. Do you guys get teased there? Or feel like you are being ostracized? Or just generally have to be around people you don't like and don't trust? Ahhh, the good old days of high school.

Haha, all of the above, mate.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:00 pm

I dont like eating in public, i have this ability to turn a simple meal, into an episode of mr bean, if i eat in public, not sure wtf goes wrong, but it just becomes a mess lol. i guess its because im focusing on other stuff besides eating alone.

Think last time it was a burger, one moment im holding the burger, the next im holding the top and the buttom and everything in between went out back the burger and into my lap.

Then comes the huge choice, do you try and pick it up and assemble the burger again and eat it ? , or do you just eat the buns, or just get out before anyone notices, with big burger stains on the pants..

I just prefer eating at home. at least if stuff goes wrong, im not the laughing stock of my particular establishment.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:06 pm

I hated eating bananas in public until around year 11 and I have no idea why. There are various other foods too but bananas were the worst.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2014, 10:12 pm

Norny wrote:
I hated eating bananas in public until around year 11 and I have no idea why. There are various other foods too but bananas were the worst.

One time I made a sex joke while holding a banana around my friends at school and while the banana was going in and out of my mouth the vice principal walked by and we just stared at each other and I just froze with the banana down my throat and it was kind of hot. The principal's name at the time was Mr. Lyons and I really thought he was a cool guy, I'm never going to forget him.
#nohomo

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:16 pm

I dislike eating in public by myself. So, I avoid doing that.

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
The only other thing you could stare at was other people's food, and that made me look like a creeper.

Interesting that you mention this. Whenever I am eating out with others, I typically do two things. First, I eat really fast. This is not a surprise, because I oftentimes don’t have a lot to say. Second, once I am finished eating, I stare at other people’s food. Why, well I am not certain where else to focus my gaze. Typically, when I am talking to someone, I look at their mouths. But, it’s kind of weird and awkward to do this while they are eating (as I don’t really want to watch them chew).

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm

It was intensely uncomfortable for me in high school and college, but I honestly don't remember having a problem with it before then. So it may have just been the awkward social aspect that I hated.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 11:10 pm

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
Norny wrote:

One time I made a sex joke while holding a banana around my friends at school and while the banana was going in and out of my mouth the vice principal walked by and we just stared at each other and I just froze with the banana down my throat and it was kind of hot. The principal's name at the time was Mr. Lyons and I really thought he was a cool guy, I'm never going to forget him.
#nohomo

LOL. That sounds like something I would do.

Not wanting to eat bananas on my part however was ultimately not due to sex There were lots of other foods, namely foods where you had to dip things in a substance like 'Le Snack' or those Vegemite things. I'm not sure if any non-Australian will know what those exact ones are but hopefully the outline is enough.