Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2014, 4:36 am

Once again, I'm emotionally exhausted. I am in the first month of a new job. There has been serious friction between the wife and kids (particularly with my teenage daughter) such that I have to put up with yelling etc and have to be the disciplinarian which has caused me to become enraged as well. Then also, I have been waylaid by a series of weekend obligatory family events. These are pleasant in a way but certainly do not help me to relax. Furthermore, its a rather tough time of year financially with school starting and the stream of associated costs.

I have become quite out of sorts as a result. The smallest thing upsets me. At times its agony to respond to simple greetings or questions.

As always I find a sense of relief in announcing these times on Wrong Planet. I somehow feel better afterwards and I turn a corner. In the process I always remind myself that its ok to want to hide for a while. In my case this means lots of online gaming and (when I get the chance), kayak fishing.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

That sounds like a lot of stress – way more than I could ever handle... You're doing well to hold it together! (And yay for online games – it's a nice escape from reality!) :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 2:35 pm

I am glad this website is helping you during these difficult times

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 2:36 pm

Yes, please take care of yourself.

First of all, that first month of work is brutal because of the learning curve and the special sensory overload issues we have.

Second, for your own sanity, please consider telling your family that for the next two months, you'll have to cut down considerably on outside family events because of your Asperger's. Also tell them that this cut-back won't be permanent, just for a time as you get more familiar with your job.

I wish you peace!

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2014, 1:28 am

The reduction of social events is an ongoing thing; much like weeding a garden. Luckily my family have become very accustomed to the way I am. Nowadays I can give it a name (Aspergers) and refer people to websites and literature if they don't understand. Previously I had to explain more and justify things a lot including to myself.