Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2007, 5:45 pm

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I was just reading through the results of my MB personality test (INTP) and was struck by this particular passage describing the interaction of two INTPs:

"However, where friendship develops rapidly, almost instantly, is when an INTP meets another INTP or similar temperament. Communication between such people can become extremely intense, leaving outsiders baffled. When two INTPs get togther, watch out! All forms of social graces and host-guest protocols become irrelevant. Both want only to share concepts and interests and absorb the intellectual stimulation of the other. Interruption of this process by any social necessity is undesired and annoying. Often the pair will become oblivious to everything around them and this may seem almost comical to an outsider.

Introductory greetings such as "how are you?" may just be given and received with nonchalant disinterest. Conversations are more likely to open with something like: "Hi, I think I've worked out how changes in the Borg's command protocols can be routed through sub-space without compromising their universal teleconnectivity!", knowing that the other person knows exactly what he's on about. Later, the host may offer the guest a drink after an hour of discussing the latest developments in computer technology, and the guest may then notice that he is thirsty.

In most cases however, INTPs have been groomed by other types into accomodating themselves into the social world, so that even amongst themselves a minimal level of social niceties will be given. Favourite topics of discussion are science and science-fiction, music, computers and any abstract concept with which one is currently fascinated by."

That sounds like classic AS behavior and communication style!
How many here are INTP? If this has already been a topic, I'd appreciate a link to the discussion.
Thanks!

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2007, 5:48 pm

Thats me and my girlfriend's sister (her sister is very likely an Aspie). When we start talking, the rest of the world vanishes and we just go on for a long time, ignoring other people. I feel bad for my girlfriend when she has to deal with us.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 5:57 pm

Am an INTJ. It does seem that the majority on the aspergers boards I have been on are INTP, INTJ, ISTP or ISTJ.

Edited because silly me put infj instead of intj lol.

Last edited by Graelwyn on 12 Feb 2007, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eipsa
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2007, 6:13 pm

Thats me. Its totally like that....! I have never seen this description though, and never thought about it like that, but yes I can definently relate to that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 6:17 pm

I was ISTJ back in 1999, when I was taking the MB test. It was part of a career test. Last time I took the MB test, a few months ago, I got ENTP or something like that.

In case anyone was interested, the career test results--keeping in mind that this was 8 years ago--had me as either being an accountant or a dentist. I am currently majoring in geology.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 7:22 pm

INTJ here, and I love that conversation opening!
"How are you?" is such an awkward thing to say. If you were really interested in how the other person was, it would be a different story - then you would sit and listen as someone gave you a real account of how they are... and I mean, really, how boring would that be?
Unless you're an anthropologist or a psychologist...

A 2.5 second conversation that goes "Hi! How are you?" - "Good, and you?" - "Good!" will never feel natural to me. I've programmed myself to say it in my early twenties, so I could fit in better, but it sounds a bit robotic whenever I say it.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 7:29 pm

Me and my friends are exactly this way.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 8:01 pm

INTJ We're 1-2% of the population and very little of that is female. It's the least common of all the types. I'm all INTJ. By that I mean, if you score close on both sides I and E for example, you are really both. If you are like me, all of your score is I and you score 0 on E. That's a skewed personality that is completely out of balance. That's mine. All I and T, no E-Extrovert or F-Feeler. Here's what it says about INTJ:

INTJs spend a lot of time inside their own minds, and may have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings. Unless their Feeling side is developed, they may have problems giving other people the level of intimacy that is needed. Unless their Sensing side is developed, they may have a tendency to ignore details which are necessary for implementing their ideas.

The INTJ's interest in dealing with the world is to make decisions, express judgments, and put everything that they encounter into an understandable and rational system. Consequently, they are quick to express judgments. Often they have very evolved intuitions, and are convinced that they are right about things. Unless they complement their intuitive understanding with a well-developed ability to express their insights, they may find themselves frequently misunderstood. In these cases, INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves. This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist.

INTJs are ambitious, self-confident, deliberate, long-range thinkers. Many INTJs end up in engineering or scientific pursuits, although some find enough challenge within the business world in areas which involve organizing and strategic planning. They dislike messiness and inefficiency, and anything that is muddled or unclear. They value clarity and efficiency, and will put enormous amounts of energy and time into consolidating their insights into structured patterns.

Other people may have a difficult time understanding an INTJ. They may see them as aloof and reserved. Indeed, the INTJ is not overly demonstrative of their affections, and is likely to not give as much praise or positive support as others may need or desire. That doesn't mean that he or she doesn't truly have affection or regard for others, they simply do not typically feel the need to express it. Others may falsely perceive the INTJ as being rigid and set in their ways. Nothing could be further from the truth, because the INTJ is committed to always finding the objective best strategy to implement their ideas. The INTJ is usually quite open to hearing an alternative way of doing something.

When under a great deal of stress, the INTJ may become obsessed with mindless repetitive, Sensate activities, such as over-drinking. They may also tend to become absorbed with minutia and details that they would not normally consider important to their overall goal.

INTJs need to remember to express themselves sufficiently, so as to avoid difficulties with people misunderstandings. In the absence of properly developing their communication abilities, they may become abrupt and short with people, and isolationists.

Strengths -

Not threatened by conflict or criticism
Usually self-confident
Take their relationships and commitments seriously
Generally extremely intelligent and capable
Able to leave a relationship which should be ended, although they may dwell on it in their minds for awhile afterwards
Interested in "optimizing" their relationships
Good listeners

Weaknesses -

Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times
May tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, rather than the desired emotional support
Not naturally good at expressing feelings and affections
Tendency to believe that they're always right
Tendency to be unwilling or unable to accept blame
Their constant quest to improve everything may be taxing on relationships
Tend to hold back part of themselves

Intimate Relationships: (And boy this is me all the way)

INTJs live much of their lives inside their own heads. They constantly scan their environment for new ideas and theories which they can turn into plans and structures. Sometimes, what they see and understand intuitively within themselves is more pure and "perfect" than the reality of a close personal relationship. INTJs may have a problem reconciling their reality with their fantasy.

INTJs are not naturally in tune with their own feelings, or with what other people are feeling. They also have a tendency to believe that they are always right. While their self-confidence and esteem is attractive, their lack of sensitivity to others can be a problem if it causes them to inadvertantly hurt their partner's feelings. If this is a problem for an INTJ, they should remember to sometimes let their mate be the one who is right, and to try to be aware of the emotional effect that your words have upon them. In conflict situations, INTJs need to remember to be supportive to their mate's emotional needs, rather than treating the conflict as if it is an interesting idea to analyze.

Sexually, the INTJ enjoys thinking about intimacy, and about ways to perfect it. In positive relationships, their creativity and intensity shine through in this arena. In more negative relationships, they might enjoy thinking about sex more than actually doing it. They're likely to approach intimacy from a theoretical, creative perspective, rather than as an opportunity to express love and affection. Although, the INTJ who has learned the importance of these kinds of expressions to the health of their relationship is likely to be more verbally affectionate. (I don't agree with the last line. I think we're just more likely to see sex as another form of art or intellectual pursuit. More of a - Here let me try this on you and see what you do - than anything.)

INTJs are highly intense, intelligent people who bring a lot of depth and insight into most major areas of their life. In terms of relationships, their greatest potential pitfall is the tendency to think about things rather than doing them, and their difficulty reconciling reality with their inner visions. INTJs are likely to be in positive, healthy relationships, because they're likely to leave relationships which aren't working for them (unless other circumstances prohibit that).

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Feb 2007, 8:20 pm

INFP here. That kind of conversation sounds familiar. I know I have a habit of picking up a conversation from last week exactly where it was left off, and if the person I'm talking to also does that, then I've found a friend.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 8:28 pm

that first post sure sounds like me at a party. If there is just one other. . .

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 8:54 pm

Well, ZanneMarie's description fits me pretty well. The last personality test I took had me between 3 permutations. ALL were IN, and T and J were in ones, so I guess I could be INTJ!

Steve

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 9:09 pm

Which completely explains why you are in my head. LOL

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 9:13 pm

What means: (IN) T or J or ???

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 9:43 pm

Introverted, Intuitive (N), Thinker, Judger

This is from K-12 Academics site.

There seems to be a strong correlation between those with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism (HFA) and the INTP type of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): description 1, description 2. Another theory states that Asperger's correlates to the INTJ personality type, whereas high functioning autism correlates to the INFJ personality type

I don't know where they got this information, but I thought it was interesting.

SilentJohn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2007, 10:19 pm

can someone please tell me what an INTP is??

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:22 pm

I do not sound like an INTJ, but an INTP.