Parents give their Autistic teen surgery to shut him up

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm

NBC whose former chairmen started Autism Speaks thinks it is the right thing to do.
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-heal ... 8C11296293

Without knowing all the facts I can not make final judgement. Article claimed screams were an obsession. Somehow I doubt sensory pain was even considered as the cause.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:32 pm

Well they make it sound so nice - now he's talking more. I don't know, you're right it's hard to say, but that was intended to make us think it was right - but it's kind of what we were talking about in the other thread.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:47 pm

I think it's a reasonable solution to the problem. The needs of the disabled have to be balanced with the needs of others.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:47 pm

I would not be able to live with someone who screamed all the time. I don't think I'm unusual in that.

It seems that surgery was a last resort, it's reversible and from the article this young man's quality of life has improved, as has that of his family.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:50 pm

the only other [humane] alternative would be if everybody wore hearing protection all the time.

Last edited by auntblabby on 10 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

If that article was written by the kid and not a doctor, I would agree with you. Not even saying you're not right, I'm just saying we've had the side of the medical professional - not always in touch with how the patient feels. But I do agree that the families needs are important as well.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

I can't link to it, but if you google the boy's name, you'll find a YouTube video in which the background to this is explained and the difference the surgery has made is talked about.

I don't think Kade would be able to write an article about the treatment, but he does seem happy.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

Marcia wrote:
I can't link to it, but if you google the boy's name, you'll find a YouTube video in which the background to this is explained and the difference the surgery has made is talked about.

I don't think Kade would be able to write an article about the treatment, but he does seem happy.

Oh thanks, I'll check it out later.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
NBC whose former chairmen started Autism Speaks thinks it is the right thing to do.
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-heal ... 8C11296293

Without knowing all the facts I can not make final judgement. Article claimed screams were an obsession. Somehow I doubt sensory pain was even considered as the cause.

Thank you for sharing this,as of now I don't know what to think is screaming could've been like Tourette's syndrome or could have .have been a form of communication there's too little information hear for me to know . I wish I knew more about the situation.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:13 pm

Kade

Here's the video - this is exactly what I was talking about, his side of the story (thanks marcia). He didn't really talk, but you can see he's happy like Marcia said. Also the doctor is a warm human who really cared, not just some sterile guy saying it was the right thing to do. Very nice story.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm

wozeree wrote:
Kade

Here's the video - this is exactly what I was talking about, his side of the story (thanks marcia). He didn't really talk, but you can see he's happy like Marcia said. Also the doctor is a warm human who really cared, not just some sterile guy saying it was the right thing to do. Very nice story.

After seeing the video I believe the surgery is a wonderful thing and was done with care and caution and now he has the ability to not be interrupted by these tics and to communicate better and to be happy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm

The video explained the cause better then the editorial. The editorial said it was probably an obsession but no cause was known. On the video it was stated it definitely a vocal tic. That would be something that can be seen. Surgery is ok to fix a psychical problem.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:25 pm

I like how it doesn't say anything about how this autistic teen feels about the whole thing. I mean if it really was a tic he couldn't control and wanted it to stop himself maybe its not so evil....but if it was forced upon him and the screaming was from some kind of sensory issue or something then such a thing is probably more harmful than good.

Where is the autistic teens perspective on this?

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I like how it doesn't say anything about how this autistic teen feels about the whole thing. I mean if it really was a tic he couldn't control and wanted it to stop himself maybe its not so evil....but if it was forced upon him and the screaming was from some kind of sensory issue or something then such a thing is probably more harmful than good.

Where is the autistic teens perspective on this?

Unfortunately I don't have that but if anyone here find it please let me know that's what I was also wondering about initially although I have a seizure disorder so I know what it's like to have involuntary movements and times you fall down out of nowhere or bump into things.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2014, 9:31 pm

While reading the article, I thought to myself, "Well, what else could you do? Hogtie him and medicate him until the screams stop?"

It's reasonable. I mean, he's disturbing others with his habit, and nothing else could really be done about it.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:33 pm

more humane than a shock collar. there is a school on the east coast that would use those on people like the autistic child subject of this thread.