Parents give their Autistic teen surgery to shut him up

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I like how it doesn't say anything about how this autistic teen feels about the whole thing. I mean if it really was a tic he couldn't control and wanted it to stop himself maybe its not so evil....but if it was forced upon him and the screaming was from some kind of sensory issue or something then such a thing is probably more harmful than good.

Where is the autistic teens perspective on this?

I do notice that where interviews about Autistic people are concerned, sometimes they talk about the person instead of to him/her. I don't understand that. He could talk even if very simply, that was clear. But he looked really happy.

I also hate it when uncontrollable habits overtake me. I have to keep my hair very short for my whole life because I would be driven to torment with chewing it and playing with it. I think everything isn't an attack on Autism, all those people including the doctor were mindful of what they were doing, it seems.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:38 pm

I had a tourettes-esque illness or whatever you call it, when I was a younger, but I largely seem to have outgrown it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

You can surgically debark a dog? Well, I'll be damned.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:48 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
You can surgically debark a dog? Well, I'll be damned.

two types of nerves control the chords in a dog, one of them voluntary. the voluntary nerves are cut. the involuntary nerves are preserved so the dog won't choke. or so it was explained to me.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm

The article made it sound like there were no disadvantages to the surgery. Do you think they are hiding something? Not that media ever does that or anything :lol:

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:21 pm

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
The article made it sound like there were no disadvantages to the surgery. Do you think they are hiding something? Not that media ever does that or anything :lol:

As I mentioned before I wish I had more information.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:33 pm

I hope it didn't hurt him any.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:38 pm

Well this is just my opinion on the matter - but everything in life is give and take, very rarely are there perfect solutions to anything. IN matters like this, it's important to be cognizant of ethical problems. But I would say he has a right to surgery to improve his life quality.

I had to have a severely deformed jaw corrected when I was 20, this was after an entire lifetime of being tormented for it, dropping out of high school, etc. As weird as it may sound, even after all of that, and even though I looked really crazy, it was my face and it was hard to see it go - think about it, a different face all of a sudden. But that didn't mean my civil right were being violated - his parents made a choice for him and his family and it seems to be working out.

I guess you could start to wonder if this would now become medically standard for all Autistics who scream or people with Tourette's just to SHUT THEM UP and maybe it's a good question, but that might be jumping the gun. It might end up helping some of them too.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Feb 2014, 11:31 pm

It is fairly popular for parents to at least request surgery for their disabled children to make life easier for the parents. This is why, for example, Ashley X was subjected to rather invasive procedures to effectively halt her growth.

Right now my inclination is to view this as something like what was done to Ashley X or what Katie Thorpe's mother wants to do to Katie Thorpe. Or the autistic man whose teeth were removed Essentially, surgically altering disabled people to make life easier on parents and carers.

I am dubious that this was the best, most humane solution. I am fairly certain it was the most expedient.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

10 Feb 2014, 11:37 pm

if I had a kid around me screaming a 1000 times a day it would drive me insane. I would have to wear ear protection all the time. if it was my kid, I think I would see if I could get him some hearing aids, and turn them up. just soo long as it doesn't damage his ears. probably only do it a couple of times, and he would hate it. maybe make something to make his screams sound unpleasant to him. get him to scream in a culvert. echoing loud madness. maybe that would shut him up. just a suggestion. i'm brainstorming.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:48 pm

Verdandi wrote:
It is fairly popular for parents to at least request surgery for their disabled children to make life easier for the parents. This is why, for example, Ashley X was subjected to rather invasive procedures to effectively halt her growth.

Right now my inclination is to view this as something like what was done to Ashley X or what Katie Thorpe's mother wants to do to Katie Thorpe. Or the autistic man whose teeth were removed Essentially, surgically altering disabled people to make life easier on parents and carers.

I am dubious that this was the best, most humane solution. I am fairly certain it was the most expedient.

That's just the thing i don't know if this is a seizure like experince or something that is like communication or non-harmful or upsetting to him.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:31 am

I thought in the UK that debarking a dog with surgery was illegal, so to my mind "debarking" a child should be illegal

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:33 am

Woodpecker wrote:
I thought in the UK that debarking a dog with surgery was illegal, so to my mind "debarking" a child should be illegal

in the UK is it legal to do anything at all to get a dog to stop barking? [like antibarking collars that administer a shock or spray an unpleasant thing to distract the dog everytime it barks]

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 8:44 am

dont have a problem with it at all. its reversible. it did not impair him vocally in any other way.
seems like all that screaming would have eventually damaged his vocal cords.
his mom talked about Kade being in agony with this tic and i can believe that.
i can not imagine if someone asked him, "would you like to go back to involuntarily
screaming 1000+ times a day?" that he would say "yes" or that he misses it any.
Seems for the best to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 11:27 am

I think this has been posted before or is it another story and the family did the same thing this other family did to their autistic teen?

I have never heard of debarking a dog. I used to just put my hand around my dog's mouth when she would start barking because it always startled me and got me overwhelmed. I wouldn't care if they would bark outside but indoor barking has always annoyed me and made me feel overwhelmed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 6:16 pm

Verdandi wrote:

I have to agree on this. Waiting for them to bring back the leucotomy now.