Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Roisin
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2014, 8:26 pm

My diagnosis is HFA but in real terms it is no different now to Aspergers. I just have a different diagnosis because my speech was delayed.

I more than caught up, and have skipped a few years in most subjects (except the arts, the arts kill me) and I'm told I speak like an adult. Because the school consider me to be academically very bright, they completely disregard any problems I have and I'm always getting in trouble from being a smart mouth.

I'm always misunderstanding. Today for example the teacher was putting up a poster and she asked me what it was, I told her it was a poster, everyone laughed, and I got punished for being sarcastic. I tried explaining I'm on the Spectrum and I often misunderstand, it isn't sarcasm, it's just that I take things literally.

She insisted that nobody as "bright" as me could mistake something so simple or have a "learnng disability" (I consider myself to have a difference, not a disability) so I got another punishment for lying.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:45 pm

Have you tried talking to a school guidance counselor, special ed teacher, or a parent about this? You need an adult to advocate for you to get their attention. <hugs> too, because I know how hard that situation is.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm

I have an IQ somewhere in the 140's and I have a very distinct visual-spatial learning disability. your teacher doesn't understand learning disabilities. get a note from someone who does, preferably someone who outranks the teacher.

dc2610
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2014, 10:21 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Have you tried talking to a school guidance counselor, special ed teacher, or a parent about this? You need an adult to advocate for you to get their attention. <hugs> too, because I know how hard that situation is.

Yes, you definitely need your parents to talk to your teachers and your guidance counselors. They obviously know nothing about autism and need to be educated. That would really be a big help. Lots of times adults don't listen to children ( I was accused if lying when I was telling the truth) but they usually listen to other adults.

Can your parents talk to your teachers at the beginning of each school year?

Good luck.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

10 Feb 2014, 11:16 pm

I made everyone think I was dumb so I could do as little as possible and get away with it. I slept alot. Than I dropped out, and started turning wrenches. I do not claim to be smart, nor would I want to be. high expectations can lead to disaster. remember that it is just a teacher. people who cannot do, teach. i am sure that teacher cannot write a book on what your personality is all about. you just told us that person doesn't know you, and you cannot expect that person to understand. that person punised you for calling a poster a poster. you are not wrong. the teacher should have been more definitive.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Feb 2014, 12:11 am

This helped me understand a lot. I share it when appropriate.

My IQ is high. But it's not a straight line. I took some tests re various skills and they showed my IQ as wobbling above and below "normal", and in some places spiking high off the page. That was the first time I saw proof that I am in fact - pardon the word - ret*d in some respects. That explained so much!

I hope you might find this idea helpful too.

DisneyAddict
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2014, 4:48 pm

I also have HFA and I always used to be told I wasn't autistic i was just dumb-.- trust me I feel your pain lol:) Just believe me when i tell you that speaking to a someone does help and building up your confidence helps!:) Just remember that you are a HFA and there's nothing wrong with that:) Teachers just can't handle us because we don't fit into their perfect image...but remember for every person that doesn't understand you and puts you down there will be thousands of people like us and others who will understand and want to help you :)