Is there a single word you hate the most currently?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 3:41 am

At this point in time for myself (since, of course, all of these preferences change with time... although in life I loved words more than hated them, especially since for most of the time I mostly just wrote and read English, and as such people didn't make me hate anything, which they can currently do in an Anglophone country)... the word I hate the most would be 'team'. I mean, it is practically as ridiculous as this IT Crowd clip illustrates (that's the same guy that later casually walks out of a window)... but it doesn't help that this totally ruined it for me in my mind (long story). Of course, since my mind highlighted the word in my life I've noticed that I actually already supposedly belonged to several teams (online)... so, yeah, er. But, no, I rarely feel the neurochemistry that seemingly makes people feel all warm just because they think they belong somewhere.

And I won't even start with the artificiality of the concept in business, of course... not that anything at all isn't artificial in that department.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 11:04 am

The words I hate the most are ret*d and ret*d. I've hated those words since I was in Grade 2.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 11:21 am

Savvy

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm

It's a tie between "app" and "gadget" atm.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 4:45 pm

Fantastic!

I absolutely hate that word. People say it all the time and it just sounds so f*****g fake to me.

There is nothing in this f*****g world that warrants the word FANTASTIC! being said in an overly enthusiastic way.

I wish people would just get real and be more normal sometimes. :lol:

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2014, 5:06 pm

@babyBird: What about fan-fucking-tastic ? :P

The word I hate today is Sequester as in why the hell didn't Obama just call it what it really is, cutbacks. Oh that's right, he'd still keep his approval ratings and butt f**k us all if he uses a nicer word for cutbacks.

Currently I hate the word politics because it's nothing but a bunch of rich politicians and lobbyist fighting over ways to screw us all over and put more money in their pockets :| We need to remind our beloved government that they should be fearing us and not the other way around :/

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

MrOddBall wrote:
@babyBird: What about fan-f***ing-tastic ? :P

That's more like it.

At least with the f*****g tucked in the middle, it takes away the pretentiousness of the word.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2014, 5:12 pm

I've never liked the word "moist". It just sounds so gross to me! xP

I don't like "tender" either. I don't know what's up with that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 5:13 pm

dottsie wrote:

:lol: I know what you mean there.

When I was a kid I used to absolutely hate the word basically. People use this word to try and make whatever they are trying to get across sound more interesting.

Personally for me it is one of the most boring words in the English dictionary, plus in my humble experience it is mostly used by the most boring people on the planet.

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm

babybird wrote:
dottsie wrote:

:lol: I know what you mean there.

When I was a kid I used to absolutely hate the word basically. People use this word to try and make whatever they are trying to get across sound more interesting.

Personally for me it is one of the most boring words in the English dictionary, plus in my humble experience it is mostly used by the most boring people on the planet.

So basically you hate the word 'basically' because like the word 'fantastic' it sounds pretentious for people trying to make their point sound more interesting ? :P

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 8:16 pm

there is a certain female name that could send me into a shock if heard out loud.

Daydreamer23
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2014, 9:28 pm

I hate when people say "You know what I'm saying?" . People repeat it 5x over to me in a conversation and it drives me nuts :roll: . Also that , and the words "stupid" or "ret*d" , for obvious reasons.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 9:32 pm

I can't stand "progressive". I'd rather someone go ahead and say that they're liberal instead of saying "Oh, I'm a progressive."
Let's cut out all the bull s**t and just say that you're liberal instead of trying to fancy it up.

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2014, 10:32 pm

Christianity ! Probably the most self righteous and hypocritical out of the religion next to Catholicism and the word 'Westboro Baptist' as these people are in mortal danger of crossing the lines too far and pissing off the wrong people or person :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 11:11 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Is there a single word you hate the most currently?

"Fundamentalism".

Doesn't matter which religion or political party. As long as there are people who believe in a narrowly-defined moral or legal code, under which any violation thereof is rewarded with compassion-less death, Fundamentalism will always represent the worst state of human philosophy.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:01 am

Selfie.

Makes me feel so F***EN sick.