Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:11 am

Everyday Okcupid sends me matches, but the match percentage doesn't seem to correlate with how good of a match we would be. For example, I could view a profile that is over 90% match and immediately see major things that show we are incompatible. I'm wondering how they do the matches on Okcupid. What are other people's experience with the match % on Okcupid?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:28 am

pretty sure its based on the questions we answer and how the other person answered them, yes i also see this problem, though i answered all 3k questions starting back in 2008 so some are outdated, but still i have found a lot of 90% i really like but also some 30% that i really like and seem in common, so hit and miss for me

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:51 am

em_tsuj wrote:
Everyday Okcupid sends me matches, but the match percentage doesn't seem to correlate with how good of a match we would be. For example, I could view a profile that is over 90% match and immediately see major things that show we are incompatible. I'm wondering how they do the matches on Okcupid. What are other people's experience with the match % on Okcupid?

It depends both on how you answer the match questions and the importance value that you place on them. If you haven't answered many questions, then the match percentage isn't too accurate. On the other hand, those questions are weighted with respect to the importance level that you give them, with the questions marked as "mandatory" affecting your match percentage the most down to "a little important", only giving a slight change, while the questions that you answered as irrelevant don't affect your match percentages at all. After I got some bad matches, I started adjusting the importance level of some of my questions and now I've even noticed that one particular who had an 81% match with me before has now dropped to 10% but meanwhile,match percentages of most of the people who I thought were good matches anyway generally increased.

amGuy29
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2014, 5:40 am

Forgot %, I sow 90-95% with people I have nothing in common, and where conversation stop after first few lines, so don't pay attention to % on okCupid

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 6:11 am

Works pretty well for me. The person I match the absolute highest with (within my criteria) is the person I have actually matched the best with in real life, though we didn't actually meet off OkC originally. I have met three out of my four 99%ers and they have all been a better match than most.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2014, 4:09 am

I noticed I was very incompatible with my high percent matches. I'm a liberal Secular Humanist & got conservative Catholics. Granted they are very common in that area & I don't do illegal drugs & wasn't interested in having casual sex but I could easily tell by their profiles that they wouldn't be open to a nonconservative or nonchristian

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2014, 4:19 am

Haha I noticed a similar thing to nick007.
Once I had answered 1000 questions, about 900 were completely irrelevant to me, yet I only matched 90% or higher with anyone who had not answered more than 30 questions, or had not filled out their profiles at all.