Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:35 am

Firstly can I ask how to go about getting an assessment in the uk if you are close to 40 years of age? I need to rule it in or out for my own peace of mind. I don't feel as though I can proceed forwards without knowing whether or not i am on the spectrum.

Secondly if you do not already have a diagnosis is it ok to attend local groups (if there are any) for people with Asperger's as a way to meet others on the spectrum or will other Aspies take offense to this?

Oh, I am in the UK. Stuck in Norfolk...think pitch forks and gas lamps. Actually they don't have street lights where I live yet...

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2014, 9:46 am

Hiya

I'm 42 and have my assessment tomorrow.

I went to my doctor and asked for a referral. You're legally entitled to one. The National Autistic Society have lots of advice http://www.autism.org.uk/ but basically write down all the reasons why, with examples if possible, and ask for a referral.

Good luck

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2014, 10:17 am

Hi Bumble

Your first port of call should be Asperger East Anglia www.asperger.org.uk. They have been successful in arranging adult diagnosis.

They also run social groups in Norfolk and Suffolk; you don't need an actual diagnosis to attend the groups, but should email or phone them before attending one for the first time. We're all quite tolerant of people who are not sure if they have AS or not, and the groups always have a support worker or two available, so don't worry about that.

They were a great help to me (I volunteer for them, too) as I was diagnosed by a GP in my early 40s six years ago but couldn't get a formal diagnostic assessment because Suffolk NHS wouldn't fund adult diagnosis at the time. In Norfolk, you have a good chance of getting an assessment.

EDIT: Their website seems down at the moment, so their phone number is 01603 620500.

Hope this helps.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2014, 10:43 am

PS:

Hi Bumble

I just saw your remarks about learning astronomy in another thread and being Norfolk based.

Well, Norwich Astronomical Society (www.norwichastro.org.uk) at Seething near the Norfolk/Suffolk border is a good place to meet other Aspies and eccentric NTs; the membership includes a significant minority of people with AS (or borderline AS/NT); some of us are open about being AS and some not.

As for astronomy, we run lectures throughout the winter season for the public that are suitable for beginner astronomers, along with members-only lectures for the more advanced stuff and experienced members are only too happy to help newbies out with advice and information.

Indeed, I joined the society precisely because I hoped to meet more people like myself there; after all, while astronomy is something NTs can relate to, it can be a typically geeky subject: just right for Aspies :)