Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm

My friend thinks my autism is causing me to deteriorate again. When people talk to me, the words going into my ears sound like a distorted language. I have to mentally sort and order the input into my head and even then, I find myself staring blankly at the person or asking them to repeat themselves. I stim almost constantly now. Sensory overload is giving me almost daily meltdowns. I am struggling with university. Emotions are incomprehensible to me. I don't know what to do except isolate myself as much as possible.

Advice please. How do I prevent myself from having a catastrophic meltdown.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm

Would words with pictures help you to comprehend what they say? Are you drinking enough water and sleeping okay?
When I don't, it shows in how I react.
Recently when I use words (thinking, explaining, and hearing them) causes a headache.

Last edited by Lumi on 11 Feb 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 8:01 pm

Deep pressure?

Well, really, I mean, as well as isolating, really do focus on getting yourself good sensory input. Deep pressure is that for a lot of people. I wear a compression shirt around for a reason, as well as having my weighted blanket whenever I'm home.

(I'll think about other things but I have to go to dinner now)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm

Too much stress and sensory overload i think, rather than deterioration.
when there is too much sensory stuff going on, i usually cant understand what is being said to me and have to try winging it.