Man Went on a Shooting Spree in Salt Lake City Mall

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 3:49 pm

Right, because taking away a legal market is so going to remove the extralegal market, isn't it? :roll: It's already illegal for convicted criminals to own weapons, but somehow, they get their hands on them anyway...probably because they don't have any scruples against breaking the law. Meanwhile, citizens who still have a little shred of respect for the law are unable to defend themselves. No, banning guns does nothing but take weapons out of the hands of responsible individuals. But whatever---as long as we ban guns, let's ban cars. They sure kill an awful lot of people.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 4:02 pm

Apparently the shooter was not even of legal age to buy the .38 Caliber handgun he had on him OR the bullets for it (the legal age is 21 - that's what has been published in some local news outlets).

The shotgun is another story. But that's supposed to be used for hunting. And no one will EVER ban any type of hunting rifles or shotguns in UT since hunting is such a big deal here.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 8:08 am

dexkaden wrote:
It's already illegal for convicted criminals to own weapons, but somehow, they get their hands on them anyway...probably because they don't have any scruples against breaking the law. ... No, banning guns does nothing but take weapons out of the hands of responsible individuals.

Whilst I'd advocate tighter gun controls than you currently have in the USA, the total ban on handguns here in the UK has done nothing to alleviate gun crime. There were some real tragedies in the UK caused by people with legally held guns, but overall, if anything, gun crime is increasing. Crimes using firearms (excluding air guns) have increased from 4900 in 1997/8 (year of the ban on hand guns) to 9900 in 2001/2.

We're now in the farcical position that our National Shooting Teams go abroad to store their guns & practice and, for the 2012 Olympics, I believe that they're going to have to have a special Act of Parliament to allow the shooting events :roll: .

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 9:32 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Right, because taking away a legal market is so going to remove the extralegal market, isn't it? :roll: It's already illegal for convicted criminals to own weapons, but somehow, they get their hands on them anyway...probably because they don't have any scruples against breaking the law. Meanwhile, citizens who still have a little shred of respect for the law are unable to defend themselves. No, banning guns does nothing but take weapons out of the hands of responsible individuals. But whatever---as long as we ban guns, let's ban cars. They sure kill an awful lot of people.

I agree with you 100%! Too bad people don't get to hear about all the cases of when lives are saved because of a civilian, with a license to carry a handgun, stops someone who is illegally carrying a gun that has the intent to kill innocent people.