StarPower game at school - advice for follow up with teacher

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mochabean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

My 13 yo some came home today upset and agitated. After a school field trip (so he's already out of routine) his math teacher declared it a free day and had the kids play the game StarPower. As I understand it from the website of the game creators, the point of the game is to teach about social/economic inequality by setting up a game which uses chance and group decision-making to create 3 groups that end up unequal -- as the game progresses the"better" group gets to change the rules to advantage themselves even more. The predictable results, according to the game designers, is that those in the"lower" group become apathetic or agitated, may resort to cheating, etc. as they try and fight a no win system.

In other words, a game that seems tailor made to be intolerable to someone who is challenged by group work, changing rules, decoding social cues. Also a game that allows NT peers to exclude him all in the name of the game. Frankly, it seems like a game that is a little much even for NT 13 year olds. And it was. He was sorted into the "lower" group (because the sorting is in part peer-driven), he got bored and disruptive when the rules changed, he was accused of cheating (probably accurate) and then the "higher" group passed a new rule that banned all cheaters (i.e.him) from the game, so he was excluded. Lots of fun!

Not sure why they were playing this game in math class. Isn't that "unexpected" behavior?

Before I go all medieval momma-bear on the school I'd appreciate input from others.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm

Yikes, that sounds like behavioral work, not math unless some kind of probability or data analysis was involved.

I would tread lightly, as the teacher probably wasn't thinking about your son, and just thought it would be a fun thing to do. I would probably educate the teacher gently that it is not really an ideal game for an autistic child. I am sure she has other things she can do during free days in the future, but if you upset her, she may not be amenable.

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2014, 11:49 pm

Was there any post-game wrap up, to calm the kids down and catalogue what they learned?

I played a similar game in an MBA-level class. It was very frustrating for 20-somethings. I can't imagine even for NT 13 year olds without some decompression afterwards, let alone a ASD kid.

mochabean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2014, 10:45 am

thanks for the very helpful feedback and advice -- will tread lightly -- plan to discuss with the school social worker. I'm frustrated because the school and teachers are well-aware of his challenges and could have seen the difficulties he'd have with the "game" from a mile away. He's a pretty good self-advocate when he starts to melt down at school, so he did seek out help and another teacher explained the game to him. But he left school feeling excluded and persecuted, and I think the "thought experiment" doesn't have much teaching value for 13 year-olds. In any event, I am calmer now! Thanks for the chance to discuss!

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm

My gut reaction is that the teacher owes him an apology. What a horrible "game" to play with an ASD student in the classroom! That's kinda like playing Name That Tune when one of your students is deaf. I would ask that if the teacher ever decides to do that activity or any like it in the future that your son be allowed to go to the library or somewhere else so he does not have to be tormented that way.