Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

That is great! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:
There are many recipes online too. Be sure to read on nutrition. This would also improve your health in the long run.

RustDogofAus wrote:
I already know some vegetarian recipies and will consider going vegetarian, but vegan no.

Thank you for the information on pesticides. I didn’t know it was that bad.
The way society treats animals (like property) is shameful to say the least.

RustDogofAus wrote:
1080 (or Sodium Fluoroacetate) is a common pesticide used on insects and mammals in the U.S., New Zealand and Australia; the truth is it was developed by the nazi military chemists to wipe out towns by poisoning water supplies. No I am not making this up. Even they cancelled development because it was far too dangerous for them to use; a single teaspoon is more than enough to kill 100 people. The use of the poison has been banned in many countries as it is seen as a threat to national security. It dissolves easily in water. It has no smell, no taste and no antidote - ingestion is followed by a slow agonising death sometimes lasting for 10 hours or more, and if anything tries to touch or consume the flesh of a posioned victim they are poisoned too.
Also, of the cattle bred for consumption in Australia 70% will be exported to other countries, some who's slaughter practices are nothing short of barbaric all for the sake of religious belief (beaten to death or death by numerous non-fatal incisions). Regarding live transport (again Australia statistic)- up to 21% of the animals on a cargo ship will die in transit due to dehydration, cramped conditions and psychological trauma. I don't support the animal racing industries either, the dogs and horses that didn't make the cut will be unceremoniously shot. Some argue that the ones that make the grade are treated well, but that's only when they are seen as beneficial to the ones sponsoring them. Ex-race horses have horrific injuries physically and mentally, they are put through hell for someone's greed and pride. Don't get me started on the Iditarod.

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

Correction regarding origin of 1080: unsure as to whether or not intended to poison water sources.

The nazis developed it as a rat poison for occupied territories and later considered using it in concentration camps as an execution method, but because of it's virulent properties they discontinued its use.
Source: http://www.predatordefense.org/docs/108 ... -12-04.pdf

Last edited by RustDogofAus on 13 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Seriously, they work as a team - males and females... and yet the male lion does practically nothing.

I don't think you're being fair to the male lions.

Here are some facts about male lions:

* they spend hours every day patrolling the border of their territory, alone or with their coalition partner(s), marking the borders so other lions are discouraged from intruding
* they suck at stalking prey because of their mane - often the hunt is more successful if the male hangs back and leaves it to the females
* they often join in on hunts with larger prey, once the females have got a hold on it, and use their increased size and strength to help bring it down
* they are the pride's main defense against rival prides, other predators, and dangerous animals such as buffalo (buffalo kill lion cubs any chance they get)
* a lion coalition typically rules a pride for 2-3 years before they are ousted by the next batch of males, and it takes several years before a young male has the slightest chance of ruling a pride, so for most of their life a male has to struggle along prideless with his mane interfering with hunting (incidentally, lions steal more kills from hyenas than vice versa - a statistic due mainly to prideless males)

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2014, 12:06 am