12 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm

Indeed, we are :p

Aprilviolets wrote:
Hyenas are an important part of the eco system

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 6:36 pm

Hyenas are fascinating creatures. Spotted hyenas have a social system as complex as baboons.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm

A skunk used to visit my yard and he would put his little face up to the glass panes in my door, look in at me, and scratch the door with his paw as if he was knocking. Then he would waddle to the back of the garden and hide while I put some food out for him.

Once I left my back door open at night and I woke up to a sound like a dog cleaning himself under my bed. It wasn't a dog. I looked and saw the skunk tail as the skunk came out from under my bed and waddled back outside. I kept my back door closed after that.

Last summer, a stray cat used to climb in my open window at night, jump on me, and sleep on my bed. I think someone in the neighborhood owns him and keeps him inside in the winter.

There is always a lot of birds and squirrels in my garden and sometimes I hear the pitter patter of little squirrels running across my roof.

Occasionally I look out in the evening and see a raccoon or opossum looking in through the glass doors. They come around because I sometimes leave food out for the animals at night.

I used to have a lot of stray cats come into my garden but a roommate chased them away and they don't come around much anymore.
I would have pets of my own if I could afford vet bills.

Edit:
I once saw a black and white cat and a skunk hanging out together in the garden.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm

That is very sweet :D
I really really want a dog. I love them more than humans LOL

Marybird wrote:
A skunk used to visit my yard and he would put his little face up to the glass panes in my door, look in at me, and scratch the door with his paw as if he was knocking. Then he would waddle to the back of the garden and hide while I put some food out for him.

Once I left my back door open at night and I woke up to a sound like a dog cleaning himself under my bed. It wasn't a dog. I looked and saw the skunk tail as the skunk came out from under my bed and waddled back outside. I kept my back door closed after that.

Last summer, a stray cat used to climb in my open window at night, jump on me, and sleep on my bed. I think someone in the neighborhood owns him and keeps him inside in the winter.

There is always a lot of birds and squirrels in my garden and sometimes I hear the pitter patter of little squirrels running across my roof.

Occasionally I look out in the evening and see a raccoon or opossum looking in through the glass doors. They come around because I sometimes leave food out for the animals at night.

I used to have a lot of stray cats come into my garden but a roommate chased them away and they don't come around much anymore.
I would have pets of my own if I could afford vet bills.

Edit:
I once saw a black and white cat and a skunk hanging out together in the garden.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 3:00 am

hyena wrote:

And dogs look like hyenas. Similar behavior too, though hyenas are more closely related to felines.

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2014, 6:57 am

Hyenas, so much better than lions. Seriously, they work as a team - males and females... and yet the male lion does practically nothing. The stark similarity the so-called "king of the jungle" has with human nobility is quite laughable [insert hyena laugh]. Also, it is the females who wears the pants in their society and they have the strongest bite of all land carnivores.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 8:38 am

yes - I love animals, don't actually have any pets since moving to the city anymore but I do really like them hence Vegan.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2014, 9:59 am

I do know a dog that looks kinda like a hyena lol I love her.

Marybird wrote:
hyena wrote:

And dogs look like hyenas. Similar behavior too, though hyenas are more closely related to felines.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2014, 10:01 am

Indeed, the females are in charge with hyenas! Hehe, I see we got quite a few hyena fans here :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4YxWSqxD0[/youtube]

RustDogofAus wrote:
Hyenas, so much better than lions. Seriously, they work as a team - males and females... and yet the male lion does practically nothing. The stark similarity the so-called "king of the jungle" has with human nobility is quite laughable [insert hyena laugh]. Also, it is the females who wears the pants in their society and they have the strongest bite of all land carnivores.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2014, 10:02 am

Awesome! I am a vegan too! It has been nearly six years now.

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
yes - I love animals, don't actually have any pets since moving to the city anymore but I do really like them hence Vegan.

RustDogofAus

13 Feb 2014, 3:58 pm

Not a vegetarian, but get really aggravated by those who kill animals for pleasure/some megalomaniac nonsense about being 'stewards of the Earth' and flaunt/sell their body parts; people who collect skins and bones so they can wear an item of clothing, 'feel one with nature' or have something to play with vex me to no end. I don't care who it is, what they believe or where they are from. I go out of my way to avoid fur products and try to find alternatives to killing relsove an animal related issue, even go so far as to try not to step on ants where possible.

Last edited by RustDogofAus on 13 Feb 2014, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2014, 4:04 pm

Personally I find hunting distasteful, but for the animals it is much better than factory farming.
May I try to convert you? :)

RustDogofAus wrote:
Not a vegetarian, but get really aggravated by those who kill animals for pleasure/some megalomaniac nonsense about being 'stewards of the Earth' and flaunt/sell their body parts; people who collect skins and bones so they can wear an item of clothing, 'feel one with nature' or have something to play with vex me to no end. I don't care who it is, what they believe or where they are from.
I go out of my way to avoid fur products.

RustDogofAus

13 Feb 2014, 4:13 pm

Sure, always helps to keep an open mind and I am a cook... so try new things yeah?
Probably won't go vegan though, just to let you know. Would have to disagree with factory farming being worse than hunting, I've seen some messed up stuff.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2014, 4:34 pm

Ok great, let’s get started :)
I believe that the only things which are immoral and should be avoided are the ones that harm others. If there is no victim there is no crime. If we intentionally harm someone then we are acting immorally. This is especially so if we have good alternatives. While consuming non-vegan products one is contributing to extreme cruelty against innocent sentient beings. Can we agree that this is bad? Why pay for someone to be tortured and killed when we don’t have to? A vegan diet is healthy and meets our nutritional needs completely. Then it seems that the only reason to keep consuming non-vegan products is convenience, taste or something of that sort. Basically one is trying to make one’s life easier or more pleasurable, but the cost to someone else is extremely horrible. Hundreds of sentient animals are tortured and killed each year in order to provide for the diet of one non-vegan. Those are lives that are easily saved at no harm to us. Why not become vegan and spare 200 animals a year of extreme torments and death?

Please watch this video on factory farming:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiFXlNkdRMc[/youtube]

If one thinks that since one is not directly killing by one’s own hand it is morally better I think one is very wrong. One is no less guilty while hiring a hit man than when one does the killing oneself. How is intentionally harming animals different than harming people when it isn’t necessary? Animals feel and suffer just like us. They want love happiness and acceptance just like us.

Sorry if I come out as judgemental. There was a time when I too was no-vegan. But once we realize the consequences of our action I think changing our behaviour is a moral necessity.

If you wish to change your diet I can make suggestions and give advice :)

RustDogofAus wrote:
Sure, always helps to keep an open mind and I am a cook... so try new things yeah?
Probably won't go vegan though, just to let you know. Would have to disagree with factory farming being worse than hunting, I've seen some messed up stuff.

Liblady
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm

Yes. I love all animals. I used to be a docent at the zoo where I took care of and got to handle some of the education department animals, but my irregular workschedule made it hard to keep up -- maybe I'll go back if I land in a job with regular hours. I have a special bond with cats, however. I have seven of them!

If you are into big cats and get the chance, vist the Cedar Cove Feline Sanctuary in Louisburg, Kansas (not a terribly long drive from the Kansas City metro area): http://www.saveoursiberians.org/ . My aunt lives less than a mile from it (Fortunately, nothing has ever escaped :lol: ). She took me there at Christmas. Though they run on a shoestring, they are one of the responsible big cat sanctuaries -- not one of those places run by crazies that used to pop up on Animal Planet's Fatal Attractions series. Cedar Cove started out as a tiger sanctuary, but they expanded to accept all types of big cats and wild cats and are now starting to take in some non-cat species as well, such as wolves and coatis.

RustDogofAus

13 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

Here's what I know:
I completely understand about animals having feelings.
40% of all the wheat, rice and barley grown by humans is used to feed livestock.
46% of the carcass of cattle will be discarded as unfit for human consumption and will be sold off cheaply for pet food (or pulped up for hotdogs and fast food restaurant meat)
Every 1kg of steak will add up to 10 000 kg of cereals and 100,000L water
Of the meat deemed fit for human consumption, 7% will be thrown away by the markets for being spoiled or damaged during transit.
There is also the massive annual death toll on predatory animals whom prey on livestock due to the inadequate animal husbandry practices on behalf of the farmer and his/her farmhands.
That being said: while a vegetarian diet and a vegan diet is seen as beneficial for larger forms of life, it is not without harm to animals either; consider the pesticides used to kill insects, as well as killing of invading herbivores. Interesting note, the Honshu wolf of Japan was regarded as a guardian spirit of farmers for a long period due to their pressence lessening impacts of rats and boars on crops.