Psychiatric Service Dogs And/Or Emotional Support Dogs???

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:23 pm

Do you--now or used to--own a psychiatric service dog? Do you know someone that does? Have you ever thought about getting one?

What about Emotional Support Dogs?

-SpaceCase

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:26 pm

SpaceCase wrote:
Do you--now or used to--own a psychiatric service dog? Do you know someone that does? Have you ever thought about getting one?

-SpaceCase

I just have my pets. When I created characters with Asperger's, I did give them service dogs though so they could go with them to places.

I think depending on your issues, it could really help. My pets immediately calm me and have since I was a kid. Also, I would think a dog could be taught to read emotions and subtexts that elude us. They could act as a go-between. I think you should check into it.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:35 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
SpaceCase wrote:

-SpaceCase

I just have my pets. When I created characters with Asperger's, I did give them service dogs though so they could go with them to places.

I think depending on your issues, it could really help. My pets immediately calm me and have since I was a kid. Also, I would think a dog could be taught to read emotions and subtexts that elude us. They could act as a go-between. I think you should check into it.

I WOULD get a SD,but I don't know if I have to pay to get it and keep it or what. Plus,the thing with the doctor and the court,and all that junk.

But what about the emotional support dogs?

-SpaceCase

alex
Developer
Developer

12 Feb 2007, 10:35 pm

are depressed people going to be able to take their dogs on airplanes now??

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:39 pm

Alex, I think by law service dogs must be able to go wherever the person goes. All they would know is that it's a service dog. They wouldn't know what your disability was.

Space, they do have SDs for people with Autism and emotional problems. Personally, I suggest a SD because it can go where you go. I don't know that you have to pay. What do you mean about courts? Your doctor wouldn't be a big deal. Just say you want one and why. I'm sure they'll write a letter saying you qualify. As to everyone else, they just have to comply.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:39 pm

alex wrote:

They have to be licensed Service Dogs to do that.

-SpaceCase

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:48 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Alex, I think by law service dogs must be able to go wherever the person goes. All they would know is that it's a service dog. They wouldn't know what your disability was.

Space, they do have SDs for people with Autism and emotional problems. Personally, I suggest a SD because it can go where you go. I don't know that you have to pay. What do you mean about courts? Your doctor wouldn't be a big deal. Just say you want one and why. I'm sure they'll write a letter saying you qualify. As to everyone else, they just have to comply.

I looked it up and it said $100 to a thousand dollars,depending on the program....I think I'll go for the $100 one. 8O

-SpaceCase

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:51 pm

And see if they have programs that pay for it or if your insurance will cover it. Explore all avenues.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:56 pm

SpaceCase wrote:
alex wrote:

They have to be licensed Service Dogs to do that.

-SpaceCase

There's actually no official licensing for service dogs. You need a doctor to "prescribe" one for you though, and write a letter stating such. In order for it to be allowed to go places with you as a Service Dog, it has to be trained to perform tasks related to your disability, and a place of business may inquire what tasks it is trained to do for you. They're not legally allowed to require you to state what your disability is though.

I'm getting a dog in about two months (waiting for the litter to be born and then for the puppies to grow old enough to leave their mother) and I'm going to try to train it to be a Service Dog. You can buy a dog that's already trained, but it typically costs somewhere in the range of 10k or more. I'm going to train my own, but the dog itself is going to cost somewhere between $800-$1400 anyway.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:02 am

I'm HFA,Bipolar,Anxiety/Stress,and PTSD.

What exzactly could it do for me?

-SpaceCase

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:54 pm

My mom said I could get one when I go to college.

-SpaceCase

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 2:37 pm

SpaceCase wrote:

-SpaceCase

You have to work with the service dog organization to help them train the dog in behaviors that will benefit you personally. I know that for Bipolar people, they can train the dog to sense when a mood swing is coming on (I don't really see how that benefits anyone, but that's what I read).

You can train the dog to do things like bark when you tap it on it's shoulder or when you say a certain word. That way if you're walking around and see someone who frightens you, you make the dog bark so the person will think your dog is mean and vicious and they'll stay away from you. Similarly, you can train the dog to go with you up to an ATM and teach it the command "cover me." That tells the dog to turn to he's facing away from the ATM and to swivel his head from side to side. To anyone else it looks like he's scanning for anyone that might approach you and cause trouble. You can teach the dog a command or a tap that tells the dog to start pawing at your leg and whining. You use that in social situations where you're overwhelmed or having a panic attack, and when the dog starts pawing and whining you can say "Oh I have to go, see, he needs to go to the bathroom."

There are tons of things you can train a dog to do, it's really only limited by what functions you can come up with. Do some google searches for "psychiatric service dog" and you'll get some examples.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 2:44 pm

Mnemosyne wrote:
SpaceCase wrote:

-SpaceCase

You have to work with the service dog organization to help them train the dog in behaviors that will benefit you personally. I know that for Bipolar people, they can train the dog to sense when a mood swing is coming on (I don't really see how that benefits anyone, but that's what I read).

You can train the dog to do things like bark when you tap it on it's shoulder or when you say a certain word. That way if you're walking around and see someone who frightens you, you make the dog bark so the person will think your dog is mean and vicious and they'll stay away from you. Similarly, you can train the dog to go with you up to an ATM and teach it the command "cover me." That tells the dog to turn to he's facing away from the ATM and to swivel his head from side to side. To anyone else it looks like he's scanning for anyone that might approach you and cause trouble. You can teach the dog a command or a tap that tells the dog to start pawing at your leg and whining. You use that in social situations where you're overwhelmed or having a panic attack, and when the dog starts pawing and whining you can say "Oh I have to go, see, he needs to go to the bathroom."

There are tons of things you can train a dog to do, it's really only limited by what functions you can come up with. Do some google searches for "psychiatric service dog" and you'll get some examples.

Thanks. :D My Mom says I have to wait until I go to college to get one.

-SpaceCase

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 4:34 pm

Space,

I think I told you that my dogs are only pets, but they do go out with me (except to work and public places). I'm not very aware of what's around me and I can't read people. My last dog was a Doberman. She was really good at reading people. About three times in the ten and a half years I had her, she took exception to a man approaching me. She just stood in front of me, stiffened up, raised the hair on the back of her neck and lowered her head. In all three cases, they guys moved around me and apologized. I have a big, goofy German Shepherd now, but he's huge so men especially do not approach me. My husband got them for me so I could feel safe going to the ATM, getting gas for the car, going for a walk, etc. Plus, they calm me in general. The dogs I've seen for Autistics calmed the person and made them more interactive.

Zanne

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 7:01 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Space,

I think I told you that my dogs are only pets, but they do go out with me (except to work and public places). I'm not very aware of what's around me and I can't read people. My last dog was a Doberman. She was really good at reading people. About three times in the ten and a half years I had her, she took exception to a man approaching me. She just stood in front of me, stiffened up, raised the hair on the back of her neck and lowered her head. In all three cases, they guys moved around me and apologized. I have a big, goofy German Shepherd now, but he's huge so men especially do not approach me. My husband got them for me so I could feel safe going to the ATM, getting gas for the car, going for a walk, etc. Plus, they calm me in general. The dogs I've seen for Autistics calmed the person and made them more interactive.

Zanne

Thanks. :)

-SpaceCase

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 7:12 pm

I want a psychiatric service cat/emotional support cat.