Digestive crap....not exactly a dinner table conversation...

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 12:17 am

Alright so I've been experiencing digestive discomfort/difficulties for quite a while on a pretty much daily basis. In the morning I wake up and have discomfort...and feel a bit backed up/constipated for some reason if I go in the bathroom shut the door and turn the shower on hot the heat from the steam seems to help get things moving a bit. No one has asked me what I am doing when I do that, if they do I am debating whether to say 'warming my a** so I can leave a crap'(taking them is gross :lol:) or something a little easier on the ears. I also find it hard to eat enough, especially when I am under stress and it seems hard to digest anything. Or sometimes I get nauseous when I'm not sick and vomit....sometimes i admit I feel like I really need to puke but it wont come up I have brushed the back of my tongue with a toothbrush which stimulates the gag reflex just enough(probably maybe not the best thing, but what else do you do when you feel like its trying to come up but it wont come out). Anyways its just pretty bothersome....another way its bothersome is I really like spicy food but sometimes it interferes with that, as my stomach just feels to sensitive for such brutal food.

Anyone else have to deal with this sort of thing?

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 3:53 am

Try going on a gluten free diet.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

Not sure I can at this point....can't really afford it even if I really did want to give it a go.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

Sweetleaf, I get those symptoms all the time when I am dealing with a lot of anxiety. Actually, I remember reading somewhere that those could be symptoms of an anxiety attack. When I have those problems for longer than a day, I'll take some of my anxiety medication. The symptoms pass, for me anyway, after taking my medicine for a day or so.
I hope this helps a bit, and I hope you feel better soon.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 8:15 pm

I know for me it gets worse when I am anxious or stressed....so I would tend to think it could be related to anxiety and PTSD. Just not 100% sure.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm

If you want to be sure, you need to see a gastroenterologist, if you really are having that much discomfort.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm

TornadoEvil wrote:
If you want to be sure, you need to see a gastroenterologist, if you really are having that much discomfort.

Well perhaps I can look into that as I am on medicaid....and got ssi, so yeah it might be in the realm of possibility. I would like to know for sure if it's stress/anxiety or something else.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 12:46 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not sure I can at this point....can't really afford it even if I really did want to give it a go.

Do it for a week. Then eat a whole lot of gluten. You should be able to tell if you have a problem with it doing that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 9:28 am

MR_BOGAN wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Do it for a week. Then eat a whole lot of gluten. You should be able to tell if you have a problem with it doing that.

I could maybe give it a go, just honestly not sure how to sustain myself without any form of bread/grain though.....I hate rice bread so yeah. Don't most foods have gluten? or something....I am really pretty clueless.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
MR_BOGAN wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I could maybe give it a go, just honestly not sure how to sustain myself without any form of bread/grain though.....I hate rice bread so yeah. Don't most foods have gluten? or something....I am really pretty clueless.

No most foods don't contain gluten. The best thing to do is stay away from processed foods, because they have hidden gluten in the additives (watch out for rice bubbles and conrflakes, potato corn chips), stocks soy sauce etc, assume everything has gluten in it until proved otherwise.
I eat potatoes and rice as a substitute for wheat, they are cheap. If you plan your meals out, it isn't that hard. Eat plain foods like fruit, vegetables, meat etc...

Also go off sugar(eat honey as a substitue) also go off dairy, for a week as well. If you plan it, it isn't that hard.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 7:15 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:

No most foods don't contain gluten. The best thing to do is stay away from processed foods, because they have hidden gluten in the additives (watch out for rice bubbles and conrflakes, potato corn chips), stocks soy sauce etc, assume everything has gluten in it until proved otherwise.
I eat potatoes and rice as a substitute for wheat, they are cheap. If you plan your meals out, it isn't that hard. Eat plain foods like fruit, vegetables, meat etc...

Also go off sugar(eat honey as a substitue) also go off dairy, for a week as well. If you plan it, it isn't that hard.

That does sound a bit simpler than what I was thinking. I do stay away from processed food for the most part....as most of it is gross and makes me feel worse. I also don't eat fast food. Potatoes are my favorite as there are so many things that can be done with them...I assume cheese and green chile don't have gluten and that goes good on potatoes. Fruits, vegetables, and meat are good...and what about things like lentil soup? I found a good organic brand of that. I also assume vegtable chips are ok....and I really only eat the organic potato chips which mostly all say gluten free.

I'd be kinda dissapointed if it is a gluten issue, because of all the stuff I like that involves bread...I mean can't very well have a burrito without a tortilla but maybe there is some kind of gluten free type that tastes ok.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 9:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

That does sound a bit simpler than what I was thinking. I do stay away from processed food for the most part....as most of it is gross and makes me feel worse. I also don't eat fast food. Potatoes are my favorite as there are so many things that can be done with them...I assume cheese and green chile don't have gluten and that goes good on potatoes. Fruits, vegetables, and meat are good...and what about things like lentil soup? I found a good organic brand of that. I also assume vegtable chips are ok....and I really only eat the organic potato chips which mostly all say gluten free.

I'd be kinda dissapointed if it is a gluten issue, because of all the stuff I like that involves bread...I mean can't very well have a burrito without a tortilla but maybe there is some kind of gluten free type that tastes ok.

All good.

There is gluten free flour, so you don't completely miss out. But it's all really expensive.

One step at a time, see if you have a problem with gluten before worrying about it.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 3:23 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:
Try going on a gluten free diet.

I second MR BOGAN

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

Gluten is exactly what I was going to say. It rescued me from 10 years of excruciating misery. It's not hard at all, nor is it expensive - in fact I just realized that I passed my 1 year anniversary and it went without a hitch. The difference in how I feel keeps me from wanting any pasta or bread. don't miss it at all. It did take me about 3 months before I felt better though. I have no idea why it took that long, but don't expect immediate results.

Also, gluten is just one possible thing that it could be.

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2014, 6:59 pm

Sounds like it could be allot of different things. I would recomend seeing a Dr. :D

legokitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2014, 6:08 am

Try elimination diets before the doctor. You may find out it is a food sensitivity or allergy. Possible causes are wheat, gluten, dairy, caesin, msg, dyes, preservatives, etc. Some may take longer than a week to test. A doctor will give meds to cover symptoms. The meds can cause side effects often worse than the initial problem. You could also try probiotics, yoga, massage, or meditation.