Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Feb 2014, 11:15 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
GinBlossoms wrote:
So, I at least think it is the right thing to do. But it's still a tough subject for me, especially because I consider myself a conservative (American kind) in a conservative family. Should I consider myself a liberal now, seeing that I still live in and in fact born in America?

It seems like a crime for any conservative over here to support UHC.

The counter response:

1. You introduce inefficiency by turning over health care to the government. (For example, compare FedEx to the bankrupt U.S. Post office)

This has already been discussed in this short thread.

America has the most-privatised healthcare in the Western world.
America has the least efficient healthcare in the Western world.

There are several ways in which centralised healthcare is more efficient. For example, a single payer has the ability to negotiate prices down lower. Centralisation potentially allows for greater sharing of information - my medical records can easily be accessed by an NHS doctor anywhere in the country with a phone call, but it's much harder for a private practice, particularly if they need to get the information from another private provider.
Whilst public medicine is not immune to this problem, private medicine can promote the expensive medicines of a particular company ahead of the cheaper, better medicines of another company or even off-patent medicines.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 11:36 am

National healthcare isn't about supporting government. It's about supporting people. Healthcare tends to be very inefficient unless its either; bargined aggressively by a state, or some sort of mutual aid orginization.

Last edited by RushKing on 13 Feb 2014, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 12:44 pm

Narita wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
If they'd just legalize marijuana....the tax revenue from that could go to the universal health-care.

Marijuana should be a legal and untaxed gardening plant imo

I think it should be both....people should have the right to grow their own, but I don't see anything wrong with selling it in stores and taxing what is sold in stores. I mean I bet there is somewhat of a tax on say tomatoes you buy at the grocery store, probably a bit of tax on the seeds if you go buy those to....but obviously if you grow your own tomatoes there is no tax on those tomatoes. So yeah that is just the way I see it I suppose.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:08 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
Quote:
2. The hospital Bob goes to charges him tremendous amounts of money completely arbitrarily for absolutely any procedure they perform
I dont know health care works in your country, but around here, for certain procederes or treatment, hospital gets always the same amount of money. So Appendix-removement always costs the same. If whyever, the treatment becomes more complicated (As example an schoolfriend of mine had his appendix in the middle of his belly, below the bellyspot: In the end they cut at the normal spot at the right hip. Then if the appendix isn´t at the normal place, then 90% its simply mirrored on the left body site, so they cut there as well. But there was as well no appendix. So in the end they started again from the right cut, and opened his belly along his digestives until they found it. Because of that the operation needed more time, more amounts of medication, more treatment because of the huge wound....) they have to show the insurance proofes (photographs, X-ray, ...), why they had more effort then usual, and will be refunded. They dont have to do that for every minor extra-effort, so as example for the removal of my wisdom teeth, its about 20 minutes of work, that is included in the fee the doctor gets. Mine was already grown out, had straight roots, ... so it only needed 2 minutes in the end. At other times, the tooth will still be beyond the flesh, so they need to cut it open, care for the wound, maybe might need to split it because of the roots... So the effort they get refunded is for the medium effort, they normally have. So if an hospital billed them with some phantasy-numbers, they would need to bring proof, of why they are so much more expensive then normal.

Not sure which country you're from, but an example of a common medical expense like childbirth costs around $18,329 for the old-fashioned way and $27,866 for a C-Section.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Ok, so you agree with me. The government is inefficient.

No, it's really good at giving tons of money to private enterprises at the expense of taxpayers. Also, it's really good at spying and killing people.

You say, "No", and you provide contradictory evidence of the government giving out tons of money to private enterprises to support your opinion.

"Giving out tons of money to private enterprises" is further reasons why the government is inefficient compared to profit-seeking entities.

TheGoggles wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Yes actually ...

No children left behind act to name one of a hundreds ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act

I won't argue that Bush's baby was a terrible idea, but it took the school in Louisiana being sued by a Buddhist student before anyone even bothered to notice what was going on in there.

You never addressed the original assertion.

Talking about Bush, Buddah, and whatever else has nothing to do with centralization of government functions, and the consequential loss of some freedom, based on Washington DC bureaucrats dictating how society should function.

My original assertion restated: is that you give up some freedom to a government worker. (For example, the Department of Education dictating educational standards for the entire country)

This appears to be "intellectual dishonesty". Are you trying to convince yourself that freedom is not lost when it is turned over to a government worker ?

TheGoggles wrote:
Any corporation or wealthy individual with a competent accountant can shuffle their money around so that all of it is untouchable. You probably paid more in taxes this year than, let's say, Verizon. Nevermind that items like capital gains taxes are a sacred cow that no Republican would dare to touch

It was recently revealed that The Pentagon spent several trillion dollars on projects you're not allowed to know about. Then there's the maintenance of our drone program and sparkling new Big Brother Mark VI surveillance systems with petabytes of storage capacity. The cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (that we know about) are massive as well. All of these things require revenue.

Detroit went bankrupt because the industry supporting it went away. And as the desperation and poverty increased, so too did the corruption. Just like every other civilization on the face of the planet.

I originally asserted the Medicare tax is rising to pay for Medicare.

Is my assertion truthful or not ?

You responded twice with apparent non-sequitur excuses of a political nature and failed to address the assertion.

This appears to be "intellectual dishonesty". Are you trying to convince yourself that Medicare taxes are not "creeping" as I stated ? Do you fear entering "creeping Medicare taxes" into google, and seeing the truth ?

Under Obamacare, Medicare Double Taxation Begins in 2013
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/under-o ... egins-2013

TheGoggles wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
1., He was on tv talking all the time about the "ticking time bomb" with reference to Medicare.

2. Second, in your quote he specifically says, "It is a ticking time-bomb for the federal budget". Private companies health care do not impact the federal budget.

Medicare has 100 trillion dollar liability when you add in the prescription drug liability.

source, http://www.usdebtclock.org/ (taken from Federal Reserve & CBO estimates)

This is what the he was talking about.

Dude, seriously, this is not difficult.

1. Bob has government assistance which helps to cover his medical expenses.
2. The hospital Bob goes to charges him tremendous amounts of money completely arbitrarily for absolutely any procedure they perform.
3. That burden of that inflated expense is then partially shouldered by the government.

Or replace Bob with someone who goes to the emergency room and then never pays his bill. Either way.

In prior post you said I was "not telling the truth", and "modified the quote to fit my agenda".

However, after I point out your reading comprehension error, then you apparently drop that argument, and come up an explanation that supports my original assertion that President Obama called Medicare a "ticking time bomb". I agree with your "Bob explanation" , that is the fundamental problem with healthcare, however, it supports what I stated i.e., that Medicare costs are soaring, so you seemed confused.

This appears to be "intellectual dishonesty". Are you trying to convince yourself that president Obama did not state the "ticking time bomb" with regards to Medicare ?

Me
==========
I believe both the Republicans and Democrats are greedy, self-serving people, so your arguments of a political nature won't work on me.
My autism means I study the "order of things". I am what Dr. Grandin labels a "pattern thinker".

My impression of you
===============
You appear to have picked the Democrats as the truthsayers
You appear to be willing to be dishonest to yourself to support the "Democrat ideology"
However, you seem to be able to properly identify problems and accurately determine the problem with health care.
You are clearly intelligent.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:38 pm

This may surprise some of you, but I support universal health care with come caveats. First of all UHC is not so much a right as it is a condition necessary for the proper functioning of our society. The cost of UHC should be thought of as an investment in the future of our society and something that maintains its present well being.

Everyone should have access to a degree of health care that is sustainable by our technology.

But there are some buts.

I propose this covenant:

1. Everyone gets health care sufficient to keep them in good health and in acute situations treat their injuries and illnesses.
2. Everyone has an obligation to maintain his bodily health. That means (1) no overeating, (2) no excess drinking of alcohol,
(3) maintaining healthy weight. That means not only watching what one eats but taking sufficient exercise to keep the parts operating well.

Those who have genetic defects will be treated but they will not be permitted to pass them to the next generation. I am afraid that means the "S" word. Those who by ill luck or bad heredity will be treated and maintained. Those who are lazy and do not work (or volunteer) as some useful or productive activity will be deprived of any treatment that they cannot pay for. This of course excludes children whose main job is to grow up health and learn enough stuff to be useful. They will be maintained by they our are future. Overeaters, gluttons, smokers and drunkards will not receive UHC benefits until they get into shape and change their ways. In the meantime any treatment they get they will have to pay for. No free rides for gluttons, drunkards, bums and people who are careless of their one and only body. Society is NOT a free ride. It is a way of supporting people who live their lives in peaceful and useful ways. Lazy bums, criminals, and people who do not care enough about their own bodies to maintain them will NOT be given a free ride.

That is my view on the matter. I do NOT know how to bring it about. I am assuming that most people if given support and who are clear about their own obligations to themselves (primarily) and to their neighbors (secondarily) will do the right thing and not abuse the support that is there for them

Enough:

ruveyn

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
You say, "No", and you provide contradictory evidence of the government giving out tons of money to private enterprises to support your opinion.

"Giving out tons of money to private enterprises" is further reasons why the government is inefficient compared to profit-seeking entities.

It's the fault of those private enterprises that this kind of corruption happens. So why am I supposed to worship them as opposed to wanting them the hell out of the governing process of my country?

TheGoggles wrote:
I originally asserted the Medicare tax is rising to pay for Medicare.

Is my assertion truthful or not ?

You responded twice with apparent non-sequitur excuses of a political nature and failed to address the assertion.

This appears to be "intellectual dishonesty". Are you trying to convince yourself that Medicare taxes are not "creeping" as I stated ? Do you fear entering "creeping Medicare taxes" into google, and seeing the truth ?

Under Obamacare, Medicare Double Taxation Begins in 2013
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/under-o ... egins-2013

And you're willfully ignoring that Obama said the problem was price gouging by hospitals. CNS News? I seriously hope your understanding of every topic of debate doesn't come from Googling some keywords, clicking the first link, and hoping for the best. There's this thing called "Search Engine Optimization." It's a technique used to push certain content to the top of search engine results, even if they're not objective information source you were looking for.

By the way, fun fact: My Google search for: "creeping Medicare taxes" turned up a Fox News article, a blog about Shariah Law sneaking into America, and this very thread.

LoveNotHate wrote:
In prior post you said I was "not telling the truth", and "modified the quote to fit my agenda".

However, after I point out your reading comprehension error, then you apparently drop that argument, and come up an explanation that supports my original assertion that President Obama called Medicare a "ticking time bomb". I agree with your "Bob explanation" , that is the fundamental problem with healthcare, however, it supports what I stated i.e., that Medicare costs are soaring, so you seemed confused.

This appears to be "intellectual dishonesty". Are you trying to convince yourself that president Obama did not state the "ticking time bomb" with regards to Medicare ?

I gave you the exact quote that he said. You quoted him as saying something different. Then you agreed with my explanation of hospital price gouging before immediately deflecting back to Medicare expenses. As if Medicare expenses and the price of medical care had nothing to do with each other, and the Medicare program was in danger because of, I don't know, The Legion of Doom or the angry ghost of Joseph Stalin.

You're so devoted to this concept that Government=BAD Private Industry=GOOD that it's more or less driven by religious fervor.

Quote:
Me
==========
I believe both the Republicans and Democrats are greedy, self-serving people, so your arguments of a political nature won't work on me.
My autism means I study the "order of things". I am what Dr. Grandin labels a "pattern thinker".

My impression of you
===============
You appear to be willing to be dishonest to yourself to support the "Democrat ideology"
However, you seem to be able to properly identify problems and accurately determine the problem with health care.

Strawman. Republicans are far more flagrant with their pandering to the wealthy. Democrats do it too. For instance, a group of ambassadors just got appointed only because they contributed to Obama's campaign. I wish there was a legitimately leftist group in America devoted to separating money from government. But until that day comes, it might be wise to pick the lesser of the two evils and call the lesser evil out when it does something that is, you know, evil.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm

When are you guys going to realize that Obama is just another dud. In some ways he is a greater misfortune than was Jimmy Carter. We have not had a decent president in office since Harry Truman.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:08 pm

GinBlossoms wrote:
Many people in the other industrialized nations often brag about their universal healthcare benefits when the subject comes up. I live in America. Sure, it's morally in-line with good values, and I do want to see everybody in the US have coverage, but why should Americans support the government, which doesn't have any money, by the way, involved in doing it? While it's a good idea, it would be insane too.

I didn't study it very much, so also point me to some good resources on pros and cons (both American and other point-of-view).

The US government has very high healthcare spendings as it is. If the mess that is the US healthcare budget got a clean-up, there's enough money to implement universal health care. A modest tax increase (at the exchange of lower insurance payments) would even mean that the healthcare would probably be pretty good.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
GinBlossoms wrote:
So, I at least think it is the right thing to do. But it's still a tough subject for me, especially because I consider myself a conservative (American kind) in a conservative family. Should I consider myself a liberal now, seeing that I still live in and in fact born in America?

It seems like a crime for any conservative over here to support UHC.

The counter response:

1. You introduce inefficiency by turning over health care to the government. (For example, compare FedEx to the bankrupt U.S. Post office)

This has already been discussed in this short thread.

America has the most-privatised healthcare in the Western world.
America has the least efficient healthcare in the Western world.

There are several ways in which centralised healthcare is more efficient. For example, a single payer has the ability to negotiate prices down lower. Centralisation potentially allows for greater sharing of information - my medical records can easily be accessed by an NHS doctor anywhere in the country with a phone call, but it's much harder for a private practice, particularly if they need to get the information from another private provider.
Whilst public medicine is not immune to this problem, private medicine can promote the expensive medicines of a particular company ahead of the cheaper, better medicines of another company or even off-patent medicines.

Once the government runs something , then the politicians will steal from it, and spend excessively. Politicians will give health care contracts to their political buddies.
Further, government workers will be given vastly higher pay and benefits than a profit-seeking entity would give.

All this results in massive inefficiency which is why the U.S. is bankrupt now, and has to print 1 trillion per year, and borrow between 500 billion to 1.5 trillion per year .

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:36 pm

ruveyn wrote:
When are you guys going to realize that Obama is just another dud. In some ways he is a greater misfortune than was Jimmy Carter. We have not had a decent president in office since Harry Truman.

Bill Clinton did a fairly decent job (both before and after the Dot-com bubble). Obama and Bush appears to be mediocre presidents that got the power in tough economic times, and both have had to take the blame when both the congress and the Secreatary of Treasure f*cked up.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

A few observations.

First, health care cost per capita in US dollars:

Then, as a percentage of GDP:

The following OECD countries have universal health care (though services are not necessarily directly provided by the government):

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico (recently introduced in 2012), The Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, The Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and The United Kingdom.

The following OECD countries do not have universal health care:

The United States of America.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_ ... by_country
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/hea ... countries/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 3:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:
This may surprise some of you, but I support universal health care with come caveats. First of all UHC is not so much a right as it is a condition necessary for the proper functioning of our society. The cost of UHC should be thought of as an investment in the future of our society and something that maintains its present well being.

Everyone should have access to a degree of health care that is sustainable by our technology.

But there are some buts.

I propose this covenant:

1. Everyone gets health care sufficient to keep them in good health and in acute situations treat their injuries and illnesses.
2. Everyone has an obligation to maintain his bodily health. That means (1) no overeating, (2) no excess drinking of alcohol,
(3) maintaining healthy weight. That means not only watching what one eats but taking sufficient exercise to keep the parts operating well.

Those who have genetic defects will be treated but they will not be permitted to pass them to the next generation. I am afraid that means the "S" word. Those who by ill luck or bad heredity will be treated and maintained. Those who are lazy and do not work (or volunteer) as some useful or productive activity will be deprived of any treatment that they cannot pay for. This of course excludes children whose main job is to grow up health and learn enough stuff to be useful. They will be maintained by they our are future. Overeaters, gluttons, smokers and drunkards will not receive UHC benefits until they get into shape and change their ways. In the meantime any treatment they get they will have to pay for. No free rides for gluttons, drunkards, bums and people who are careless of their one and only body. Society is NOT a free ride. It is a way of supporting people who live their lives in peaceful and useful ways. Lazy bums, criminals, and people who do not care enough about their own bodies to maintain them will NOT be given a free ride.

That is my view on the matter. I do NOT know how to bring it about. I am assuming that most people if given support and who are clear about their own obligations to themselves (primarily) and to their neighbors (secondarily) will do the right thing and not abuse the support that is there for them

Enough:

ruveyn

The problem would be enforcing this....also the alcohol thing might get a little tricky as alcoholism is defined as a mental illness and people with it drink too much and habitually, making it a condition one would be entitled to medical care for....for many with such a condition in order to change their ways and get into shape they would need medical treatment. Not sure how it would be determined if one is a 'drunkard' by choice or if they are suffering from alcoholism. Also then there is the problem of prescription opiates, sometimes well meaning people end up addicted to those...so should one be denied treatment if their 'addiction' stems from a prescribed medication the doctor prescribed them?

I will leave the rest alone as I am sure there will be plenty of comments/opinions about it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 4:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

The problem would be enforcing this....also the alcohol thing might get a little tricky as alcoholism is defined as a mental illness and people with it drink too much and habitually, making it a condition one would be entitled to medical care for....for many with such a condition in order to change their ways and get into shape they would need medical treatment. Not sure how it would be determined if one is a 'drunkard' by choice or if they are suffering from alcoholism. Also then there is the problem of prescription opiates, sometimes well meaning people end up addicted to those...so should one be denied treatment if their 'addiction' stems from a prescribed medication the doctor prescribed them?

I will leave the rest alone as I am sure there will be plenty of comments/opinions about it.

I propose that addicts get one free rehab with the clear admonition the next time they fall down society will NOT pick them up.

Anyone can make a mistake so that person should have a chance to learn from it. Anyone who repeats mistakes clearly is not interested in learning. He can perish.

ruveyn

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Feb 2014, 5:05 pm

TheGoggles wrote:

LoveNotHate wrote:
Do you fear entering "creeping Medicare taxes" into google, and seeing the truth?

By the way, fun fact: My Google search for: "creeping Medicare taxes" turned up a Fox News article, a blog about Shariah Law sneaking into America, and this very thread.

:lmao:

TheGoggles wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Me
==========

My impression of you
===============

Strawman.

He even says he's strawmanning you when he does it! :lmao: