It is the ultimate in crappy crappiness. 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
It is the ultimate in crappy crappiness. 34%  34%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 35

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:32 pm

wozeree wrote:

I have some apps I use on my MacBook Air. They really are different though. They are way more expensive for one thing. Somebody at the Apple Store told me it's because they are really traditional programs called apps. But I do like the way you buy them and update them as opposed to going though website and getting email notifications of updates.

AFAIK, the 'apps' for for Macs are developed by Apple and made to run on a traditional desktop system. Smartphone and Tablet apps are generally developed by third party developers who are not in any way connected with the platform, (Hardware as well as OS) vendors. With a traditional program that you purchase, you are buying a licence to use that software on single system, that you are legally entitled to install on other systems as long as you either purchase additional licencing, or you erase previous installs as you migrate to a differant system, and you have either discounts should you choose to upgrade the software as newer versions become available.

With Cellphone/Tablet Apps, you are essetially paying a lease licence to use the application software, in much the same way that some high end CAD/Virtualisation testing software companies offer should you not have the means available to sped upwards of $5K for a software licence. If you look at the pricing on apps for either Android or iOS, you will notice that the apps are quite cheap, the reason for this being that Cellphones and Tablets are essentially disposable commodities, rather than investments that you will be keeping for more that two or so years.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:27 am

GoonSquad wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
umm, you do know that if you swipe up from the bottom edge on the tile screen ALL the apps on the computer are listed by category, right?

Of course, but it does it as the COMPUTER classifies them. You really (to what I know) can't organize them as YOU want them organized. Once you get too many programs, you have screen after screen of "apps" to deal with just to find the one you want.

It's garbage. Up to now, the user could classify how they wanted things after a program was installed.

Hell, iOS let you group apps and name those groups as you wanted to.

I just think MS is going the wrong way to make a "moron proof" OS.

You can pin any app you like to the tile screen and organize them under any heading you like.

You just need to spend a few minutes to learn how.

if I could USE a $%^ tablet I would have freaking bought one! I hate touchscreens and how they work. I wanted nothing like this. My old computer blew up and I needed a new one, they crammed this piece of garbage down my throat and it just drives me faster into joining the commune where I will NEVER touch another electronic device again for the rest of my life,- if I survive long enough to get the money to get there and the stress of using this garbage does not kill me.

Jollyfun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2014, 8:11 pm

:cry: Windows 8.1 is fine in the Windows 7 type mode but, big but, lots of intuitive actions from previous Windows have gone out of the, excuse the pun, "Window?" what I hate most is the sudden departure of functions. Today, suddenly, Bluetooth disappeared and the wireless adaptor stopped working at the same time. Can I get them back?, can I hell. The laptop I am using is unusable without a mouse, great computer, terrible touchpad and without wireless, well worse than useless, scrap mainly and only three months old. This is the second time the Bluetooth adaptor has disapeared and can only have been caused by Windows 8. Another, smaller HP Envy notebook running Windows 7 has given no problems at all for nearly a couple of years so I assume my problems stem from useless 8.1 messing me about. If I could charge the time wasted on Windows 8 to Bill Gates at his hourly rate I would be a millionaire, maybe only single figures but still a £ millionaire. Bill, take note, if you really care, but I doubt you give a sh... for the customers.

Jollyfun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2014, 8:18 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Honestly, I don't get what people complain about. With a few mouse clicks, you can alter the settings so that you're sent directly to the desktop instead of the start menu. Furthermore, it has builtin support for USB 3.0, better support for switchable graphics, better support for SSD/Hard drive hybrids, and boots quicker than Windows 7. Lastly, that God-awful Windows Aero theme is gone--hopefully for good.

I'm beginning to like Windows 8; just pressing the windows key and typing the first 3-4 letters of the application name is very convenient. :)

I don't agree that Windows 8 boots faster. I have a HP Envy 14 running Windows 7 that boots much faster than a newer supposedly more powerful HP Envy 15 with 8.1. Some experts have told me Windows 8 is much better than 7, well as a non expert, they are talking rubbish.

SickPuppy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2014, 4:18 am

I used a program called StartIsBack and it disabled all the junk, it's a 30 day trial, after that you get a screen that nags you to buy it every time you start up your computer, just press the ok button and it's gone until the next time you start up. I'm fine with Windows 8.1, I have an SSD and it only takes about 6 seconds to boot to my desktop :D

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 7:50 am

The worst I get from Windows 8.1 is an audio hiccup and stutter every time I watch a video or listen to music. I have no idea how to fix it and I'd rather not know. People always tell me download this patch thing and it'll fix itself. No, it doesn't. Nothing works period.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 11:29 am

Yes it is. It looks like ms-dos 3.1 of 1992! Stop going back in history. I'm waiting for win9.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

After living with win 8.1 for close to a year, my only real complaint is that it isn't more touch screen friendly.

I have two Asus Transformers. My old one runs Android 4 and I still use it mostly as a tablet and use it for reading books, comics, watching vids, surfing the internet etc.

I also have a newer Transformer running win 8.1 and I mostly use it as a netbook with the keyboard attached. and, I mostly only use it for school work because it can run MS Office...

It plays games pretty well, but it TOTALLY sucks as a reader because the apps are simply bad. Most windows 8.1 apps are bad.

Right now, I'm waiting for the Android Tablet version of MS Office to hit the play store. Once that happens, I'm betting I'll abandon my windows Transformer and go back to using my relatively ancient Android tablet...

In short, windows 8.1 isn't all that bad, but its still more of a computer OS than a tablet OS... and that's too bad.

I wonder if I could install The latest flavor of Android on my newer T100?

Now, THAT would truly kick ass!
:D

McClaren
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2014, 10:55 am

I knew Windows 8 was crap when I couldn't upgrade to 8.1 because of Microsoft's virus protector built in to Windows 8 was on. Seriously who ever programmed it needs to go back to school.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm

Honestly, gotta say that Windows Server 2012 R2 (the server edition of Windows 8.1) have been my favorite Windows version to date.

I also find it ironic that the most griping by far about 8 / 8.1 has focused on the GUI. It's ironic because Server 2012 (contra Windows 8 ) was the first version in which you can dynamically reconfigure the GUI's presence or absence. (Previous Windows Server versions, going back to 2008 (contra Vista) permitted you to set up a commmand-line-only, no-GUI Windows installation, but only when first installing Windows. Now, it's as easy as "Add/Remove Windows Feature" and then restart!)

Last edited by RhodyStruggle on 10 Nov 2014, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

Sedentarian wrote:
Yes it is. It looks like ms-dos 3.1 of 1992! Stop going back in history. I'm waiting for win9.

There won't be (another) Windows 9. Microsoft is skipping right to Windows 10, to prevent compatibility-checks from falsely assuming that a hypothetical "Windows 9" instance is a "Windows 9x" (e.g. Win 95, Win 98, [arguably] Win ME) instance.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 1:27 pm

One problem I have is after just logging in. I have in my mouse settings where the left mouse button is on the right and the right mouse button is on the left (because I prefer it crossed over). Unfortunately, when I just log in, it's like my mouse settings take time to actually work. For about the first, oh I don't know, 15-30 seconds or so after logging in, the default mouse settings, opposite of mine, are what are in effect, before the OS actually switches the mouse buttons.

In Windows 7, I had similar mouse settings, but the mouse settings took effect immediately after logging on.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm

^^^ Hmm... That's interesting. I wonder if setting are stored in the cloud somehow?

Another problem I have is with the latest version of MS Office. The dictionary and , it seems, much of the proofing functions are cloud-based. This makes it slower and less reliable. I much prefer using MS Office 2007 on my big, clunky old toshiba laptop--and I usually do use that computer for my final edit on any papers I'm writing.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 11:43 am

GoonSquad wrote:
^^^ Hmm... That's interesting. I wonder if setting are stored in the cloud somehow?

Another problem I have is with the latest version of MS Office. The dictionary and , it seems, much of the proofing functions are cloud-based. This makes it slower and less reliable. I much prefer using MS Office 2007 on my big, clunky old toshiba laptop--and I usually do use that computer for my final edit on any papers I'm writing.

I still use office 2002.