Am I the only one who doesn't care for Animaniacs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:20 pm

It seems that years later a lot of people still gush about how Animaniacs was one of the greatest cartoons during the 90's. Although I really liked Tiny Toons once I realized it wasn't just another show with cute child versions of classic adult characters, I never felt the same about Animaniacs and only watched the show a few times. Every episode featuring the Warner siblings seemed to be mainly them deliberately (except for maybe, Wakko, the one character I did like, since he's usually in his own little world) nearly annoying other characters to death, and most of the time they didn't do anything to deserve it. No wonder the studio locked them in the tower! I also felt the humor was sometimes too raunchy or dark, and I found the Pinky and the Brain episodes were slow-paced and very boring. And the rest of the cast was very forgettable, although I'm pretty sure it's hard for anyone to forget Hello Nurse. Anyway, I don't have a problem with other people liking the show, that's just my own opinion. In fact I tried to get more interested in the show but just couldn't, which has happened to me with a lot of other things the rest of the world gushing about and almost never gushed about the things I liked or did at one time but they all just moved on before I was remotely ready.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 3:58 pm

I just thought they were redundant and stupid. My favorite cartoon characters from the 90s were Ren and Stimpy. And Rugrats was well-written and IMO one of the better animated sitcoms ever made.

I kind of liked Catdog, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken and Invader Zim, but I only watched them because my daughter was that age at the time. She also liked Fairy Godparents, Poke Mon and Power Puff Girls, too, which I hated.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 4:08 pm

I love "Animaniacs" as a whole, but some characters didn't sit too well with me. Chicken Boo was repetitive from the start, and I was never a fan of the Rita & Runt segments either. Mindy & Buttons reminded me a lot of Roger Rabbit & Baby Herman; I still laugh at those.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 5:33 pm

You're not the only one who doesn't care for them, but on here you're the only one who doesn't care for them.

I mean, to be fair the 90's had pretty much everything in entertainment, and pretty much all of them were the greatest, with no exception to Animaniacs. It is far from my favorites, which the number one would be South Park, but it was still an awesome show.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 5:54 pm

"On here you're the only one who doesn't care for [the characters from Animaniacs]."

The only one...until now.
I could never find any reason to like Wacko Redcap, or Jacko, or Dot.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 5:58 pm

I think that Animaniacs was the best cartoon series since Bugs Bunny.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2014, 12:53 am

Nah, you're not the only one. Outside of the segments that TMS animated (they did the opening and some of the ending skits where the Warners are chased back to the tower) and some sections I personally found funny (ie. Good Idea, Bad Idea, and Aunt Slappy), I didn't much care for Animaniacs myself - way too mean-spirited and a lot of the jokes got lost in translation over here, especially with later seasons featuring many American guest stars.

Still, despite my not caring for it, I'd still say Animaniacs was one of the best pieces of animated satire Warner Bros. had produced since the Golden Age. You don't see cartoons like that anymore.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:23 pm

I used to watch Animaniacs when I was younger, but I don't remember much about it, and I don't care about it enough to revisit it.

Willard wrote:
I kind of liked Catdog, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken and Invader Zim, but I only watched them because my daughter was that age at the time. She also liked Fairy Godparents, Poke Mon and Power Puff Girls, too, which I hated.

My brother and I used to adore the Powerpuff Girls when we were children, but when I tried watching it again as an adult, I didn't like it at all. I found that the episodes were too fast-paced, and the characters were unlikable. Blossom was a smart alec, Bubbles was a crybaby, and Buttercup was a jerk. And yet, the show somehow still has a following even to this day. Honestly, I feel like Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust's shows get more hype than they deserve. (Though I do admit that I really like the concept of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and only wish that I had thought of it first.)

manawolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

Animaniacs was good, but I think the biggest problem is that it has become very dated. You really had to watch it in the mid 90s when it came out. The jokes just don't age very well, so it has lost its luster.