Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 10:15 pm

I have seen this talked about a couple of times, but i do not understand what it means.
What makes a city aspie friendly?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm

I'm guessing here, but when I saw the term used, I took it to mean the entire environment, including people and their actions/reactions, wouldn't cause problems for Aspies. In fact, I leaned more to it meaning the people than the environment itself.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2014, 10:21 pm

A city with no people in it... just joking.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2014, 11:25 pm

I'd assume it means a city which is ideal for people with Aspergers/ASD-either with a lot of resources, compassionate people, not too many things which trigger sensory issues, or a combination of the three? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 11:48 pm

My dream city would be like this:
No overwhelming traffic. Just enough where people go about their business without excessive honking horns.
Resources for spectrumites such as counselors, therapists, helpers, tutors and assistants.
Talk groups for those on the spectrum.
Movie theatres within walking distance that don't overwhelm with advertisements.
Different kinds of restaurants that don't overwhelm you with their prices.
Safe places to walk to without fear of gangbangers or others of their ilk.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 12:00 am

A Sim City.

(Jokes)

Just a calm city without any flashing lights and loud sounds that would cause sensory overload. Redrobin basically pointed out the rest.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 1:14 am

TTRSage wrote:

LOL! :lol:

redrobin62 wrote:
My dream city would be like this:
No overwhelming traffic. Just enough where people go about their business without excessive honking horns.
Resources for spectrumites such as counselors, therapists, helpers, tutors and assistants.
Talk groups for those on the spectrum.
Movie theatres within walking distance that don't overwhelm with advertisements.
Different kinds of restaurants that don't overwhelm you with their prices.
Safe places to walk to without fear of gangbangers or others of their ilk.

Oh ok, i get that.
I probably live in a very non aspie friendly city, but im not out there in the real world yet.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

Yeah I have problems with EVERY city, really I was happiest when I lived in the country, nice and quiet, the town had 110 people in it and people were nice to me even though I was quiet, my partner was very sociable and I stayed quiet but they were all kind to us. The problem is zero resources, it was 20 miles from the closest small town (10,000 people) - and 50 miles from a real city (500,000) but when I moved back into the city is when my circumstances became critical and life became unbearable.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Feb 2014, 4:31 pm

Chicago is very Aspie-unfriendly, as far as I know.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 8:06 pm

The whole concept of finding an "aspie friendly city" is absurd. All cities are aspie unfriendly. I admit that some are probably more so than others. Some cities have more counsuling services available than others. And Silicon Valley (which has a higher than average incidence of autistic kids being born) probably has a very geeky culture that SOME aspies might fit into. But pick a city based on your preferences as an individual (or career considerations, or because your true love lives there, or you like to ski, or whatever) not with some notion that your problems as an aspie will vanish just because of the place you live.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 2:11 am

TTRSage wrote:
:lol:

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 3:32 am

TTRSage wrote:
A city with definitely no people in it... .

Fixed it for you.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

A city with Aspie social gatherings and Aspie-friendly services.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

I believe it has more to do with the people in the city (their culture) than with the city itself. I think some cultures are more acceptant and friendly to autistic people than others. About the city itself (its layout and the way it "works") I think it depends much on your specific perceptual issues and varies even across autistic people.

For example, the two cities where I have spent most of my life are Paris and London. If I compare the cultures of both cities, I would say London is much more aspie-friendly. The people are more pragmatic, less overtly emotional and yet caring, and the social rituals are more formalized and are easier to understand and to follow. In comparison, the people in Paris often seem loud, stressed, snobbish and judgemental. Also London is a very multicultural city with a pleasant "live and let live" feeling ; people have prejudices like everywhere else but globally don't blame each other for merely being different.

About the city itself, London is overall less crowded and noisy than Paris, which would make it more aspie-friendly if you care about that kind of things. On the other hand, for example, Paris is small and you usually don't have to walk much to go anywhere ; it can be good if you don't like spending time commuting or in the street. And London's emergency vehicle have insanely loud sirens, if you have some audition hypersensitivity you may not stand it. It really depends on what is important to you.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 4:17 am

ouroborosUK wrote:
I believe it has more to do with the people in the city (their culture) than with the city itself. I think some cultures are more acceptant and friendly to autistic people than others. About the city itself (its layout and the way it "works") I think it depends much on your specific perceptual issues and varies even across autistic people.

For example, the two cities where I have spent most of my life are Paris and London. If I compare the cultures of both cities, I would say London is much more aspie-friendly. The people are more pragmatic, less overtly emotional and yet caring, and the social rituals are more formalized and are easier to understand and to follow. In comparison, the people in Paris often seem loud, stressed, snobbish and judgemental. Also London is a very multicultural city with a pleasant "live and let live" feeling ; people have prejudices like everywhere else but globally don't blame each other for merely being different.

About the city itself, London is overall less crowded and noisy than Paris, which would make it more aspie-friendly if you care about that kind of things. On the other hand, for example, Paris is small and you usually don't have to walk much to go anywhere ; it can be good if you don't like spending time commuting or in the street. And London's emergency vehicle have insanely loud sirens, if you have some audition hypersensitivity you may not stand it. It really depends on what is important to you.

See, the thing that kills ME at least in ANT city I have lived in (and it seems far more common as the years go by, and not jsut in any certain neighbor hood but all of them) is loud jerks. People with loud cars, loud music, people screaming in the street, playing stereos in cars with windows down - just too much noise period.

I was happiest when I could afford the quiet of a very small town, simply can't afford it now.