Did getting your ears pierced cause sensory problems?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Roisin
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2014, 10:06 am

I'd like to get mine done.

I'm not concerned about the actual piercing itself, getting shots and so forth I have no problem with.

If it is going to itch or feel irritable for a few hours or days though I see a problem. Even a t-shirt label can drive me into a shutdown inside half an hour.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

Last edited by Willard on 17 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:01 am

First, I should mention that my sensory issues are pretty bad. You should probably factor that in when reading this.

Mine stung for a couple hours afterward. It was hot for a while after that. I think I may have iced mine because of it. Whatever you use to clean it may sting. Make sure you clean them daily!

I've had issues laying down. First, in the beginning when it was still sore, and later when I was able to change earrings and tried wearing ones made of wire to bed. The ends of the wire poked the skin behind my ears. I always take those kind out before bed now.

It was weird for me the first time I changed earrings. I started w/ sorta heavy ones, because they were a gift from the person I was going to see that day. I felt a constant pulling sensation on my ears. It wasn't painful, but it was annoying. I would suggest starting small.

Other than that, just beware of getting them caught in things. I get dangling ones caught in my long hair all the time.

Oh, and watch out for metal allergies. Usually piercing studs are hypoallergenic, but fashion earrings are often made of cheap alloys. It's pretty common to be allergic.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:18 am

flat out I can't wear the cheap ones

I don't recommend getting them peirced in a mall or department store, go to a professional (they can be found in places like tattoo shops and beauty parlors, it is worth the extra cost) they take the trouble to use gloves and sterile objects and they educate you on the care and you are actually able to buy quality earrings to wear for the first set rather than the cheap alloys which many people are allergic to.

I always get either surgical stainless or Sterling Silver (this is different from regular silver or just silver plate) don't just get the plated stuff, they do that on the cheap alloys and it comes off and you have to throw it out.

after you just keep clean for the healing and then I was able to deal really well with them, I love them, I have 4 holes in each ear.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 11:26 am

I had them stung myself (it was rather common among poorer kids in the 90ies), went well with the ears, but not so good at the belly. As mentioned, at the beginning its importat to wear rather small earrings, that are additionally gold/silver or medical/stainless steel. When that has fully healed (about 6 weeks) you should be able to rub your earlaps without problems, and be able to feel a small hardened "channel" in your ears. (The body is starting to built up skin along the medical earring.) Dont do experiments in the beginning, so no to heavy earrings, as well as no stuff like small chains that get plugged through the earhole or whatever. I´d recommend not to wear long (can get stuck and when you move your head you pull on your earhole accidently) or heavy earrings, until about 6 months, so you can be absolutely sure, that the still fresh and softer hole, does not widen itself. But normal earrings like hangers with a pearl or whatever, should ne no prob after a few weeks.

About any itching, normally its simply hurts a bit the hours afterwards. On the next day, it normally only hurted, when I touched or moved it. I only had one time troubles with itching, and that was when my belly piercing got infected, so when you do it at a professional pierding studio or doctor, there should be no itching.

If it helps you: If you feel whyever really uncomfortable with it, so that you cant stand it: If you remove the medical earring, the fresh hole will normally grow together again immediately within a few days.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

I don't have my ears pierced and I have no intention of getting my ears pierced.

AlphaNtu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

I have my ears pierced more than once and I've had a few other piercings. None increased my discomfort (other than accidentally hitting them with my hand the first 48 hrs).

mjaynes288
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2014, 6:25 am

I had my ears pierced as a child. This was at the mall in the '80s. They used a gun thing that made what I perceived as a gunshot like sound right next to my ear. I am sound sensitive. I screamed bloody murder and jumped. The result is the holes are not straight. To get an earring all the way through I have to fish around pushing it halfway then trying different angles.

After the piercing things did not improve much. You have to leave the earrings in for six weeks while they heal. I sleep on my side so the back of the earring was digging into my head. You have to clean and twirl them once or twice a day while they are healing. The cleaner stung and twirling was uncomfortable. Turns out I am allergic to a whole bunch of metals including nickel(including stainless steal), copper(most sterling silver), and others metals so my earlobes hurt, swell, and weep fluid whenever I put earrings in for more than 2 hours.

When I was 10 I was wearing dangling earrings when one snagged and ripped my earlobe. Luckily it came out before ripping all the way through but it resulted in a scar and an even more crooked hole. The only thing that is good about my ear piercing is the holes will never close. I wore new hypoallergenic earrings to my sister's wedding after not wearing any for over 10 years and the holes were still open. I reacted the new earrings too.

Please do not believe my story is the norm. I have horrible luck. My sister waited years to get her ears pierced after witnessing my drama and had no problems. I would suggest you go to a professional who uses a needle. It may seem more scary but you have a much better chance of a good result.

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2014, 6:49 pm

I've had mine done twice and plan to get my nose done in a couple of months. The first time was when I was ten, and it was more the buildup to the actual piercing that was scary. I was crying and the beautician had to calm me down quite a bit, but after it was over it didn't really hurt and I was happy because the earrings were so cute. Nowadays I collect earrings all the time.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 6:51 pm

My ears have piercings, but I have a hard time wearing the earrings because of sensory problems.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 7:29 pm

droppy wrote:
I don't have my ears pierced and I have no intention of getting my ears pierced.

I was going to once but I backed out at the last minute and didn't do it. I don't think I ever will now.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 9:59 am

I got mine pierced at 26 because I was getting married. It wasn't too bad. I bought their ear care solution and used it religiously and the healing was fine. My biggest mistake was the studs I chose (which you shouldn't take out for a few weeks). I chose a pair of star shaped studs. All those corners are pokey when you lie down or wear hats! If I knew better I should have chosen the roundest, flattest studs for piercing. If you did that you'd barely notice they're there and the recovery would be a lot better.

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2014, 4:47 am

No but I got a adrenaline rush as they went in as I have with all my piercings bar the first time I got my ears done at 5 then it hurt.