English: Thriller (Michael Jackson)

How do NTs do that?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 12:18 pm

nick007 wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:
I think the first CD I bought was the soundtrack to Return of the Jedi, probably in the mid-80's. My folks purchased a CD player relatively early on. I know for sure I bought my first discman around freshman year of high school, like 1989.
I thought CDs came out in the early 90s. I didn't get a player till the mid 90s

I'd have to look it up, but CDs came out around 1980 or so. I was in the market for my first serious stereo, and I remember the salesman telling me that there was "something better than vinyl" and then playing one of the first CDs. It sounded awful, I later told my mates that it sounded like a dwarf farting in a rubbish dumpster. The reason it took awhile was the software for the oversampling of music wasn't very good. Once they conquered that, CDs took over.

Don't recall my first CD, but I'm guessing it was a used version of Dark Side of the Moon.

The36thChamber
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2014, 8:16 pm

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Couldn't have done it better myself 8)

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 9:09 pm

Eiffel 65 - Europop

Sue866
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2014, 2:01 am

I've been around long enough to have albums, 8-tracks, and piles upon piles of cassettes. I don't remember firsts of those.

However, I do remember my first CD and I'm ashamed to admit (a little) that it was Paula Abdul - "Forever Your Girl" and it came in those ridiculous "long packs" that CDs first were packaged in. I'm pretty sure the second CD I purchased was Michael Bolton - "Soul Provider". Hahaha.

RDOS result:
Your Aspie score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 6:58 am

This when it came out

My mind was blown by the Multimedia content. o.O

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:12 pm

Sue866 wrote:
I've been around long enough to have albums, 8-tracks, and piles upon piles of cassettes. I don't remember firsts of those.

However, I do remember my first CD and I'm ashamed to admit (a little) that it was Paula Abdul - "Forever Your Girl" and it came in those ridiculous "long packs" that CDs first were packaged in. I'm pretty sure the second CD I purchased was Michael Bolton - "Soul Provider". Hahaha.

Oh God! To be young! Hahaha!

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2014, 4:10 pm

Hope this thread isn't ageist; some of us here may even remember their first 78rpm shellac record :P

My first CD? Wow, how the heck should I know? :) That would have been in 1989 when I bought my first CD-capable hi-fi system; I have a lot of CDs and many were bought around that time; I cannot possibly remember which was the first, nearly 25 years later.

I bought my first music media long before CDs were common-place; it was 1980, I was 15 y.o. and had just started my last year of secondary (high) school; I guess CD technology was in the design stages back then. The record in question was Black Sabbath 7" vinyl - Neon Nights/Children of the Sea. My first audio cassette was Deep Purple - In Rock in 1982 along with my first Sony Walkman.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 8:37 pm

The facts of the matter:

"On 8 March 1979, N.V. Philips' Gloeilampenfabrieken demonstrated for the international press a Compact Disc Audio Player. The demonstration showed that it is possible by using digital optical recording and playback to reproduce audio signals with superb stereo quality. This research at Philips established the technical standard for digital optical recording systems."
Sony executive Norio Ohga, who later became the CEO and chairman of Sony, was convinced of the format's commercial potential and pushed further development despite widespread skepticism.

Note the "superb" adjective. The first ones sounded awful, and there are certain cranky old men who still claim that vinyl albums sound better then CDs.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Mar 2014, 11:22 pm

The Colour and the Shape by Foo Fighters at around 2003-ish. XD

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 2:18 am

The first album I bought was Toxicity - System of a Down. The first physical CDs I bought were used copies of Fallen - Evanescence and Weathered - Creed. I haven't actually bought a non-used CD yet, though something by Tool would probably be most likely.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Mrrandomman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2014, 12:35 am

Mettalica's Black Album

SolinaJoki
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm

My first music was a 45 rpm of Ferry Cross the Mersey by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Loved that song.

First album was Herman's Hermits I'm ashamed to say.

First CD, I don't remember. They just replaced cassette tapes that had gone bad over the course of time.

Anyone remember 8-tracks?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 7:04 pm

It was some classical music -- probably Tchaikovsky.

When CD players were first introduced, there were far too expensive for most of us. I predicted that if they didn't come down in price to below $200 each, they would never take off. The day I saw one advertised at a price below that, something like $199, I went and bought it. I personally didn't know anyone else who had a CD player at that time.

There was a big record store near my apartment. Out of the entire store, there was only one small table about 2 feet by 2 feet with CDs. The rest of the store was all records and tapes. The CDs that were available were all classical music -- there was no rock or country or anything else available on CD then. Most of the CDs that were available were from one specific series of recordings that were also available on records and on tapes. My first CD was probably one of those.

There were also a few random CDs that weren't part of the series. I bought one of English Hunting Horn music that I really liked. It came in a CD sleeve instead of a plastic holder and I lost it about ten years ago.

Sometime after that, my brother's company started selling data on CDs. At the time he had to send the data out to a company that would produce a master and then print CDs with the data. Production costs of each run of CDs was about $1,000 for the master and then about $1 for each CD printed.

Because of the high costs, he started to consider buying a CD recorder, one of the very first available. At that time, the price for a CD recorder was about about $60,000. I told him to wait and predicted they would come down in price pretty quickly so he waited a year and bought one for about $5,000.