Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2014, 7:40 pm

I am extremely sensitive to motion, I get very severe motion sickness from going on a swing or car journey. I was wondering if this might be common amongst those on the AS? Even if not, I would like to hear viewpoints on it.

One issue that troubles me is the accepted view of the mechanism, which is the discord between the eyes seeing one thing and the body feeling another. This is absolutely totally absurdly wrong in my opinion as keeping eyes closed would make matters much worse for me! And in cars, sitting in the front with something to look at actually helps reduce symptoms compared to sitting in the back and cars which flex and bounce around create much stronger symptoms much faster than better quality cars which feel stiff and stable. It is absolutely 100% the MOTION. I can make myself motion sick by just moving my head too fast, and when something is moving my entire body (like in a car, boat or fairground ride) the sensations in the body make things so much worse!

On a car journey of more than 2 hours, or within minutes on a boat, I am at a point when I honestly feel at the point of death. I feel so dizzy and sick that I am struggling to breathe and would end up killing myself or others to free myself from the torment, that is if I didn't die first.

This brings me to my final query, is it possible to die from motion sickness? Searching around the internet seems to answer NO, but if I were to get a normal person, heck even a test pilot and spin them around furiously permanently, would this form of stress not harm them physiologically?

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 7:43 pm

have you been checked for some kind of balance problem, because if you have a balance problem it could explain the severity of the problem, I don't think you should be able to get motion sick from moving your head.

I don't think you can die from motion sickness, I know that kind of problem can feel absolutely awful though, does it make you anxious?

Last edited by franknfurter on 15 Feb 2014, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 7:45 pm

I fall asleep on anything that moves. :lol:

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 7:47 pm

although I bet you could pass out from it, if it got to overwhelming

hihowareyou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Feb 2014, 7:52 pm

Bad drivers make me sick and teacups when I was younger.

owlyellow

15 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm

I've always gotten motion sickness from cars, trains, even movies where the camera pans across distances for too long. I have no idea if it's related to ASD, but it certainly would fall into the sensory issues category.

I doubt it can kill you. Peppermint (and it HAS to be peppermint, not spearmint or wintergreen) has always helped me.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2014, 8:02 pm

I am dyspraxic, so could not balance or catch a ball at all until recent years where I have put a lot of time and effort into exercise/training.

I also have a high pain threshold/am able to deconstruct pain analytically so that it does not bother me. I had a shoulder surgery where I was told I would be on a morphine drip for a day, but I took the needle out as soon as I woke up and had no painkillers and was fine. I can tolerate that kind of pain all day long in preference to short periods of the motion sickness.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 8:21 pm

I don't get motion sickness, but I can get something very similar: simulator sickness from certain video games, most notably Minecraft.

I can also get a feeling of overstimulation from some movies and videos that feature a lot of fast edits.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 8:44 pm

Herman wrote:
This brings me to my final query, is it possible to die from motion sickness? Searching around the internet seems to answer NO, but if I were to get a normal person, heck even a test pilot and spin them around furiously permanently, would this form of stress not harm them physiologically?

It's not possible to die directly as a result of motion sickness, but if you threw up too much (dehydration etc) or had a heart attack as a result then you may die. If you span me around in the way that you mentioned I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel, as I've never experienced anything remotely like that.. though I'd assume the stress wouldn't be great for my body.

Marky9 wrote:
I don't get motion sickness, but I can get something very similar: simulator sickness from certain video games, most notably Minecraft.

I can also get a feeling of overstimulation from some movies and videos that feature a lot of fast edits.

This is the same as me, only the video games I play don't really involve fast paced movement so it's more restricted to movies.

I really hate sitting up close in cinemas, or watching movies that have intense amounts of shaky cam and blur. It doesn't make me feel sick but it hurts my eyes and irritates/confuses me.

I'm not a person that needs glasses.

Last edited by Norny on 15 Feb 2014, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 8:46 pm

Last edited by Willard on 17 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 8:56 pm

I've always had motion sickness, and certain computer games make me feel sick too.

Plus I have difficulty judging distances and moving vehicles (like whether it's safe to cross the street? I have no idea!) I think that's a fairly common autistic trait, so maybe they're related?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 2:46 am

I don't get motion sickness.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:28 am

Have never had any motion sickness at all - and it has been thoroughly put to the test.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2014, 6:14 am

I get quite bad motion sickness. I've noticed it mainly in car journeys (I've only taken quite short sea and air trips). After a car journey of half an hour or more I can be reduced to lying flat on my back gasping for breath.

I get much worse if I have to sit in the back of a car, if it is dark outside, if there isn't enough fresh air in the car or if I have to read a map while in motion.

I don't usually get it from video games but it has happened - usually when the motion isn't smooth.

I have had motion sickness from watching movies, usually when something like an aeroplane is spinning or rolling (I took motion sickness tablets before going to see Gravity :)

I've had occasional balance issues over the years but have not actually been diagnosed with any condition in that area. I had wondered if the problem was linked to my autism or to the anti-depressant medication I've taken for so long.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 6:22 am

I've always been sensitive to motion, also. I've never not gotten seasick on a boat, even with a prescription scopolamine patch. The same for tall buildings swaying in the wind. I also seem to notice earthquakes 10 seconds before anyone else seems to notice.

I've been told that if you have vestibular problems then your brain switches to using your eyes to judge what straight up is. When I walk into a dark room it feels like the floor starts tilting like on a boat. I've also nearly fallen over several times from trying to leave a movie theater before the lights come back up. It's gotten worse for me in the last few years but my doctor thinks it's benign.

The only sea-sickness remedy that works for me is just enough alcohol to make me slightly tipsy (er, more than otherwise).

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 10:12 am

I get motion sickness in cars and from certain kinds of video games and videos.

I can't read or play a handheld video game at all in cars. Recently I thought it would be ok to hatch some eggs in Pokemon since I'd barely even look at the screen but it made me sick and I had to quit and felt sick for the rest of the drive.