Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 12:17 pm

My evaluation for ASD is March 10th and my sons is April 7th. I have had a hard time letting it go and all I do is research and dwell and look and get worried that they wont believe me. My house has gotten really cluttered and I am having a hard time with dishes, on top of that my sons Tantrums are becoming more frequent, my daughter keeps changing her schedule (she is 5 months) and my Tantrums seem to be getting more frequent and out of control. My partner is feeling like he can not deal with it anymore. He doesnt really help me with anything and he keeps telling me its my fault cause I do not control myself. I try. I really really do but he can not see that. I wonder is it normal for Tantrums in adults to get out of control during a crazy stressful time such as what I wrote about above? Until I get a diagnosis no one will believe me. I have been diagnosed as Bipolar since I was 18 and nothing has ever changed, no matter how dedicated I was being on my meds for 10 straight years or going to therapy once every other week since I was 15. Bipolar does not seem to fit me because I am never angry and I do not have mood swings, I have Tantrums. Tantrums are only in-the-moment, where mood swings can be a change in mood that last for several hours to several days/weeks. I know ASD fits me in every word that is written I have research and researched only to find myself more and more in every article. So, do I really have control over these Tantrums? Is it normal to get them so frequently when things are chaos? Will I ever learn to control them? I am sorry, I just recently had a terrible one so my mind is all jumbled and I am trying to remember what went on. Please help me if you have any advice for me or my partner who does not seem to understand. Thank you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm

Theymay be meltdowns if you can't control them. Tantrums are voluntarily and then they stop right away after the person gets what they want and they are back to normal like nothing happened.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 12:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Theymay be meltdowns if you can't control them. Tantrums are voluntarily and then they stop right away after the person gets what they want and they are back to normal like nothing happened.

Could you clarify that a bit better? I keep reading what you wrote but nothing is really sticking out on what you mean lol. Sorry.

Gizalba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2014, 1:08 pm

I am just commenting based on research I have done (I do not know if I have ASD but my 'meltdowns' can be pretty horrendous.) It has been suggested to me too that I have bipolar, but that doesn't seem to fit to me for the exact reasons you mentioned: my meltdowns can appear sudden and are time-limited until all the emotion and adrenaline in me has been released through my screaming, head hitting, crying hysterically, shaking - it is not like a switch in mood that can go on for days or months like in bipolar. From my research I gather that meltdowns differ from tantrums in the loss of control that league_girl mentioned: there is at least some degree of cognitive shutdown in a meltdown - so people in a meltdown can often not be communicated with, as they are acting on instinct and in fact voices can scare them and intensify the 'fight or flight' reaction. Which is why it is important that people around you do not shout or try to reason with you while you are in that state. For me, I am lucky that my partner is so understanding. I have explained to him that when I get like that, the best thing to do is to basically leave me alone, although sometimes he says he stands outside the door and listens so that he can intervene and restrain me if he hears me banging my head on the wall and injuring myself.

For someone having a tantrum - they are fully cognitively aware of what is going on, and they do not want to be left alone - they want the attention of the other person and they want to see a reaction in that person.

For me personally, my meltdowns have reduced now I am away from my parents and health care professionals, as they would do the exact opposite of what is recommended in a meltdown situation. They would shout, panic, grab me, tell me to behave, which would only terrify me when in that state as I am no longer aware of what is touching me, so my body interprets touch as threat, and then I have lashed out, which then intensifies the belief in those who see it as a tantrum, that it is purposeful, as they don't realise that there is no intent there to hurt anyone and I only lash out if someone comes at me.

I have read this book I found really helpful > http://www.amazon.co.uk/From-Anxiety-Me ... o+meltdown That book goes into detail about how you tell the difference between a meltdown and a tantrum, and how the correct way to deal with it differs. So if what you are experiencing is a meltdown, maybe you could read the book then get your partner to read it?

EDIT: This video about meltdowns v tantrums is by the same women who wrote the book, the video is talking about children but according to her book the same applies to autistic adults (just maybe slightly different situations triggering an adult meltdown, e.g. your son having a tantrum OR a meltdown himself could trigger a meltdown in you if you have sensory issues with noise) > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-iEb9eZRNE

Last edited by Gizalba on 16 Feb 2014, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

inachildsmind wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Could you clarify that a bit better? I keep reading what you wrote but nothing is really sticking out on what you mean lol. Sorry.

I don't know another way of explaining it. Tantrums are just a form of manipulation to get what you want. It didn't sound like in your OP that is what you're doing.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 1:58 pm

League_Girl wrote:
inachildsmind wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I don't know another way of explaining it. Tantrums are just a form of manipulation to get what you want. It didn't sound like in your OP that is what you're doing.

I think its a mixture of both to be honest. At first its something that sends me flying (like the house being 61 degrees and me stepping in a puddle of water) but then it turns into "someone please help me stop!"

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 2:10 pm

Gizalba wrote:
I am just commenting based on research I have done (I do not know if I have ASD but my 'meltdowns' can be pretty horrendous.) It has been suggested to me too that I have bipolar, but that doesn't seem to fit to me for the exact reasons you mentioned: my meltdowns can appear sudden and are time-limited until all the emotion and adrenaline in me has been released through my screaming, head hitting, crying hysterically, shaking - it is not like a switch in mood that can go on for days or months like in bipolar. From my research I gather that meltdowns differ from tantrums in the loss of control that league_girl mentioned: there is at least some degree of cognitive shutdown in a meltdown - so people in a meltdown can often not be communicated with, as they are acting on instinct and in fact voices can scare them and intensify the 'fight or flight' reaction. Which is why it is important that people around you do not shout or try to reason with you while you are in that state. For me, I am lucky that my partner is so understanding. I have explained to him that when I get like that, the best thing to do is to basically leave me alone, although sometimes he says he stands outside the door and listens so that he can intervene and restrain me if he hears me banging my head on the wall and injuring myself.

For someone having a tantrum - they are fully cognitively aware of what is going on, and they do not want to be left alone - they want the attention of the other person and they want to see a reaction in that person.

For me personally, my meltdowns have reduced now I am away from my parents and health care professionals, as they would do the exact opposite of what is recommended in a meltdown situation. They would shout, panic, grab me, tell me to behave, which would only terrify me when in that state as I am no longer aware of what is touching me, so my body interprets touch as threat, and then I have lashed out, which then intensifies the belief in those who see it as a tantrum, that it is purposeful, as they don't realise that there is no intent there to hurt anyone and I only lash out if someone comes at me.

I have read this book I found really helpful > http://www.amazon.co.uk/From-Anxiety-Me ... o+meltdown That book goes into detail about how you tell the difference between a meltdown and a tantrum, and how the correct way to deal with it differs. So if what you are experiencing is a meltdown, maybe you could read the book then get your partner to read it?

EDIT: This video about meltdowns v tantrums is by the same women who wrote the book, the video is talking about children but according to her book the same applies to autistic adults (just maybe slightly different situations triggering an adult meltdown, e.g. your son having a tantrum OR a meltdown himself could trigger a meltdown in you if you have sensory issues with noise) > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-iEb9eZRNE

This really does happen with the two of us.

My partner shouts and yells and calls me crazy and to stop and have control of myself. He tells me to stop blaming my actions on "having no control". I have been getting help for years for this, I think that shows a lot of control on my part. When they were getting really bad I told him to just reach out and hug me, grab me and add pressure (lovingly not aggressivly) The pressure helps me calm down. He did it for a month and I had no "outbursts" but then he just stopped doing it the more they seemed to come on with the added stress (i am sure thats the reason they are coming on) and now he is going back to screaming, telling me to walk away, staring at me (which gets my heart racing cause i dont know what he is thinking) and he can get aggressive with me if my outburst dont calm down. I have my moments where I am by myself, but then I want answers and still in the state of frustration I am confused as to why he allows me to hurt myself and wont help me. So they progress. I attempt to calm myself down and I close myself off but the thoughts and confusion and answers i need make me charge after him. Its like I need reassurance on why I am being treated like a bad person rather than treated like someone he loves. So the "outburt" starts out as sensory issue or something and then winds up with me trying to understand what just happened and why its getting worse and no one seems to care. It is really hard. I try not to do it in front of my son but I really can not control it. Then once I am exhausted from all the stuff I am fine and back to myself. I am a bit sad for a bit after. I do not really want a to see a reaction from him as much as I do not understand why he is not reacting... does that make sense? I grab him and beg him to help me and then I start "stimming" with sitting on the floor, head shaking and screaming. If he does finally "help" I do the same, I lash out and I feel attacked. When he is mute its the hardest and completely freaks me out and I do not know what to do. So it sounds like I tantrum and have a meltdown. I am so weird, and confused.