Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Why do you respond to or avoid responding to threads?
Poll ended at 18 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm
Respond - Curiosity 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Respond - I fell like I know the person 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Respond - I feel like I really have something I want to add to the conversation 70%  70%  [ 19 ]
Respond - Somebody said something I don't like and I need to correct them 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't Respond - I Ignore people on WP that I don't like 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Don't Respond - The subject is boring 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't Respond - The subject has been addressed in many previous threads 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm

I've been trying to figure out lately why I respond to certain threads and not others.

First I thought it was because of interest, but then I realized there are some threads that I follow and read with interest but don't respond to - maybe I have nothing to add, not sure. Or maybe the subject is emotionally difficult to put into words.

I also am now better at recognizing circular argument threads that go nowhere and I at least manage to stay out of the argument part of it if I respond at all.

I'm more likely to respond to people that I have had some interaction with because I feel like I know them some. Or if somebody makes me curios and I want to know more.

So here's a poll.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:53 pm

This should be split into two polls. Everyone both responds and doesn't respond to posts (except lurkers), so we can't choose between those two.

I usually respond when someone posts something that I don't understand.

Last edited by starkid on 16 Feb 2014, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm

I respond only when I can relate AND feel I need to elaborate. My life back here in reality has taught me apprehension.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm

Very rarely do I enter a thread just to argue against the OP's point. In fact, I don't like arguing at all so I enter posts as a pretty agreeable person, adding my $.02 in if it's relative.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm

I thought you could choose as many options as you wanted - oh heck, POLL FAIL.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

My usual first question is if the topic interests me, or if I think the original poster made a good point that should be acknowledged or discussed, like this thread.

My second question is if the OP is well written enough to allow me to make a good response. It's much easier to respond to a thread stating "What makes a city "Aspie-Friendly" and details what thoughts the thread starter has on the issue.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 7:47 pm

I usually respond to threads that are positive that I can relate to. There have been some threads in the past that I've stated my case that I wasn't sure about. I've learned from that. There have also been threads that I've opened out of curiosity to see what people were talking about. If the topic is easy enough for me to comprehend, I post in it. If the posts in the thread are too advanced for me to comprehend, I don't post in that thread. I prefer to post in threads that are lighthearted and fun, so I spend most of my time in Random Discussion. I also like to try connecting with my fellow WP members as well. I'm also learning not to take things to heart when I'm not sure if someone's on my side or not. That's what I seem to have the most problem with, because of my temperament. If there's a thread that expresses an opinion about autism that I disagree with, I usually stay out of it. There are also certain sections of WP that I stay out of, because they don't suit my posting style and the topics go way over my head. There's also a population of people who post in the Off The Wall section, but that section is usually slow when I try to take part in it. I have to work on finding the most active time for that section.

I'd never go into a thread to correct something that somebody said, because I disagree with. That's not my style.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm

I respond to anything I can even remotely relate to. I'm really very straightforward and non-strategic about it, and just add my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

I don't respond if it's a topic I have no personal experience with, or find confusing. Or if it seems argumentative, because I dislike tension. Or if it's a giant wall of text and I can't read it.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 8:00 pm

I usually respond to threads that I can relate to, If its too hard to understand I won't read it like some of the ones in the PPR even if I think they might be interesting at first then I find they're a bit too deep for me I'll let the people who can understand them respond.
I will comment on something if its something I feel strongly about though but if it turns into a confrontation I'll prefer just to say what I feel and then stop.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 8:21 pm

I see a couple of common problems- avoiding conflict and not liking "giant walls of text." I don't like those really long posts either (but then when see that somebody has taken the time to read them and give a compassionate response, I'm always impressed).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Feb 2014, 8:48 pm

I prefer to respond to threads about things I can relate to but recently I find I am more likely to respond to someone making factually incorrect statements.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

I usually respond to threads that seem interesting. There are some users that I tend to follow, but most of the time I just respond to threads with interesting titles or threads that seem to get a lot of replies quickly. I also like to respond to threads where I really agree or disagree with what someone is saying.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
most of the time I just respond to threads with interesting titles or threads that seem to get a lot of replies quickly.

Interesting – I do the opposite... I'll see a post with no replies and think that somebody ought to reply, so I take a stab at it!

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:10 pm

Ashariel wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
most of the time I just respond to threads with interesting titles or threads that seem to get a lot of replies quickly.

Interesting – I do the opposite... I'll see a post with no replies and think that somebody ought to reply, so I take a stab at it!

I always feel bad when nobody responds to somebody too because I've had that happen to me. I always respond if I see that.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm

Ashariel wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

It mostly depends on how interesting the title looks to me. If a thread has an interesting title and no replies I'll probably still reply. I usually reply to threads that appear to be growing quickly(i.e 1 or 2 replies in the morning and 10 replies in the afternoon.) I don't usually reply to threads that have over 1,000 replies because my post will probably go unnoticed. In summary I like to post when I have something to say and where I think I will be heard.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:31 pm

Where's the 'Hit or Miss' box? That's mostly my vote. Oftentimes I just don't see a post, so I don't respond - there are just too many. Unfortunately, I sometimes spot a compelling thread after-the-fact. Whatever's on the front page when I check the Wrong Planet! :alien:

I respond to fresh front page posts that necessitate a reply and/or are interesting, only sometimes checking the discussion tab for specific forums.

Edit: If I do happen to see a member in distress, one who is really hurting or in need, I will reply - I think their post deserves special consideration.