Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 9:46 am

If one does not live in a vacuum and is subject to his external environment then how is it logically possible for a person to be responsible for his own life and how is he in complete control of his own life no matter what the circumstances are? How can society exist if the attitude is every man is an island unto himself?

Quote:
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. - Benjamin Franklin

How does one always succeed in preparing if a set of unknown, unknowns exists?

Is it logically possible to always be prepared? How?

Why is ignoble to blame any external entity for one's failure in life especially if the set of unknown, unknowns exist?P

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

The "every man is an island" argument has gotten very fashionable lately, and it has been used as an excuse to ignore and neglect real social needs. If somebody tries to point to a problem, you can just say the person wasn't being responsible enough and let them suffer, with your ideology giving you cover.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 10:57 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
How does one always succeed in preparing if a set of unknown, unknowns exists?

Is it logically possible to always be prepared? How?

You can't prepare for every scenario; that's impossible. I try to stick to a set of rules that I've built up over time and experience. In the event of an unknown situation I apply those rules and hope for the best.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 10:59 am

There is always a balance between personal responsibility and society. There are factors outside my control, and no matter what, they will always be there. There are also a lot of factors I can control.

No man is an island, but no man is a puppet either.