Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 5:49 am

I do not consider myself to be particularly photogenic. Of course, part of the problem is that my eyes cross, so sometimes I'll look OK in photos...until you notice my eyes. :? Maybe I should just wear sunglasses in all photos.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 5:50 am

I used to take photos of myself.
I smile after the photography is taken :P

timf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:05 am

I used to work at a place that required photo IDs. The women all wore their IDs backwards because they all felt their pictures were unfaltering.

I have always felt that my pictures usually turned out better looking than I really was.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:13 am

That's another reason why I found online dating rather awkward and next to impossible. All men wanted was a variety of pictures of me, and no matter how many I took, I still wasn't satisfied with them and felt too self-conscious to send them. I know I might not look as bad as I think I look, but my poor self-esteem gets the better of me and makes it hard for me to view my image through other people's eyes. I worry that my face looks too long in pictures, and my two front teeth are quite big and they seem to stand out the most in photos, but if I smile with my mouth closed I look worse because I have a stupid small mouth what I can't make a lot of descent smiles with. I really hate my stupid facial features. :oops: :cry:

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

Generally, if someone else is taking the photo and I get a chance to arrange my facial features into a "normal" expression, I sometimes look okay in photos - IOW, they look like what I see when I look in the mirror. Most candids of me are scary, and I can't take a decent selfie to save my life. And yet, IRL, most people tell me I'm somewhere between "very attractive" and "beautiful." Personally, I can't see it - my self-assessment is "reasonably attractive for my age."

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:14 pm

Candids and selfies - yep, there is a reason professional photographers are still in business. :D

There are a fair number of pro's and semi-pro's that offer special lower-cost deals on casual photos for use on social media. A true pro will know how to manage posing and lighting so that an accurate depiction is obtained.

FYI, looking face-on into a lens with an on-camera flash or overhead indoor lighting is a good recipe for bad results.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:35 pm

Marky9, is your avatar a photo of you?

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:39 pm

Yep. In a former life I was a professional photographer. That's a self portrait.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:43 pm

Wow, kudos on being both a good photographer AND photogenic!

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 2:07 pm

Thank you, but I'm not sure about the photogenic part.

I could here launch into one of my lectures on dynamic vs static perceptions. Something like: Imaging attempts to take a dynamic, three-dimensional phenomena (a person) and portray it in static, two-dimensional media in a way that hopefully approximates how a viewer would perceive the living, breathing, moving thing in real life. And ideally that two-dimensional image would not only be perceived as visually comparable to the real thing, but would also communicate and/or elicit a corresponding emotion. Not infrequently, that is a rather tall order to place upon a cell phone camera pointed into a bathroom mirror. :)

But I digress. It just sometimes pains me to hear people express negative feelings about their appearance, when my professional experience has been that such is unwarranted. It is most often due to either sub-optimum photography, or a general body image dysmorphia. In the latter case there is nothing that can be done outside of psychotherapy. (Yep, I have encountered my share of those over the years.)

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm

If you're not photogenic, doesn't that mean you look even better than your photo? :D

I can imagine that in order to be a good photographer you would indeed need to be a scientist of both light and psychology. It used to be that I looked better in natural light. Lately (beginning with my first sortie into online dating several years ago), I've learned that a good flash can actually be quite friendly to a form that is not as young as it used to be. :roll:

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 5:37 pm

I'm pretty much photogenic when I pose.

Candids, YMMV. Depends on what I'm doing at the time.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2014, 5:49 am

I'd say that out of every five pictures, there will be one where I'm not making an awkward facial expression.

What's worse is when you're facing the sun or if the camera flashes right in your face. Squints were never a pretty look for me.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 9:29 am

I don't like "staged" shots. I prefer candid shots. I don't like getting my picture taken when I'm expected to look right at the camera and smile.

I consider myself an amateur photographer. I can't stand it when I'm taking pictures with a group of people and as soon as you point a camera at them, they stop what they're doing and turn to look directly into the camera!

I think pictures of people doing whatever they're doing is much more interesting than people who pose specifically for a picture.

Here's a picture of me that I like, and I didn't even realize my friend took it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/107033531@N02/12697096744/

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2014, 12:30 am

I would never post a picture of myself online. To be honest, my avatar is of me morphed with 16 year old Zac Efron and the guy from Malcolm I'm the Middle.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2014, 12:44 am

Not really. A big problem is that I cannot fake a smile to save my life. In almost all of my photos I'm not smiling unless I explicitly have to, and when I do I look like I walked right out of a Stephen King novel.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."