Employment of aspies with few technical interests

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2014, 8:27 am

Hi

I'm wondering about the employment experiences of 'aspies' who lack much enthusiasm forany areas of the 'geek' world, in spite of its steady infiltration of the world of paid work since the 90s.

How have others dealt with this dilemma? By managing to succeed in a less-technical field like teaching? By managing to develop some appreciation of a non-people-focussed field of work? By forcing oneself into one? By remaining under-employed? Or, by simply failing to find much employment?

Any others? _ _

P.s. I'm particularly interested in replies from people with mild to moderate asperger's syndrome, though work stories from those with severe AS are bound to be interesting :)

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 8:40 am

I think there is no explicite needs to totally focus on technical jobs/knowledgs. From my experiences its simply more likely that you will need social skills in other jobs. (Not only about the job itself, but as well about the co-worker, working environment, ... So as example, I was more forced to care for stuff like outfit or other s**t, when I was working in an non-technical job.). Or being forced to do lunch with your whole departement and similar stuff. Simply eating before the computer seems to be more accepted in technical jobs. ^^

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2014, 8:51 am

Schneekugel wrote:
I think there is no explicite needs to totally focus on technical jobs/knowledgs.
Yeah - the 'middle ground' between, say, marketing and computing is likely at least to be manageable, and dealing with one's weaknesses has to have some place. {Mind you, I found out the hard way that it an "aspie" can rarely afford to make that his or her 1'st priority :? }

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 9:05 am

I think you misunderstood me. So from the job task itself, I think you can do just as fine as secretary ... But from my experiences, people working in these jobs have more often "more social" expectations on their coworkers. So more gossiping, comforting each other, social talk, spending lunch together, invite themselves to stuff outside of work... O_o Caring about what people wore the day before or if your hair looks great today...

While when working in technical departements, I felt less pressure about such kind of stuff. You can as well have more extroverted people around you in technical job, but from my experiences, there is a higher chance to meet more introverted people.