What was he trying to warn me about?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 12:32 pm

One of my job coaches said to me when meeting her for the first time "did you need a carer with you on the train ride up here"

That comment shocked me because I take doing things on my own for granted. When I told one of my other job coaches about her remark she said to me he paused and said "we make assumptions about people when we meet them for the first time" and he continued "we all do it for instance if that guy getting his coffe other there just walked into a wall I would think he needed help"

What was my job coach trying to 'WARN' me about when saying that people make assumptions?

I am autism by the way

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

The 1st may of had an assumption about you because of a wrong assumption about autism. Lots think of the classic form of autism which is someone like Rain Man or someone who's near mentally retorted instead of someone higher up on the spectrum like Aspergers. It could also be a wrong assumption about you based on other things in the file the 1st read before you seen em.. Or it could be that the people who go to those job coaches tend to have problems going places by themselves.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Reducto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2014, 2:26 pm

I think when someone goes to work as a job coach they assume they will be working with people who cannot do things on their own. She may have heard something about an autistic person who needed help getting around and assumed this was common. Or, perhaps she was just asking you the question to get a quick baseline of your abilities.

I think this is what he meant - you were in that office to get help, therefore you may need help with a lot of things. For some of their clients this may be true.

When people make assumptions about you, it really has nothing to do with you. It only tells you about their own preconceived notions.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 4:45 pm

Jamesy wrote:
What was my job coach trying to 'WARN' me about when saying that people make assumptions?

I would guess if he was trying to warn you about something it would just be the fact that people make assumptions without really knowing anything about you..... so that if it happens again you know it's not necessarily anything real about you that caused the incorrect assumption (instead it's the other person's misinterpretation of something you did or said, or even just the other person stereotyping you or not knowing much about autism).

Love transcends all.