Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 10:55 am

^ Most of the East is like this, but it seems Japan is the most known eastern civilization to Americans due to media. Most of the things mentioned in this thread about Japan such as conservativism, nationalism, extreme patriarchy (extreme financial responsibility on men, polarized gender expectations... etc), conformity, lack of liberalism, no acceptance of mental illness (people don’t even go to psychologists/ psychiatries/ therapists, except the extreme cases while in the West it seems there’s a therapist for every citizen lol).... etc

All these things are not alien to me personally. I would probably be able to cope in Japan better than any American.

What Japan differs greatly from most of the Eastern countries is probably in its economic success and organization but socially / values /mentality?.. not much.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
There's always those places to sleep in Japan that are like these drawers you crawl into. I wonder if they are cheaper to stay in?

No. Those are for businessmen who missed the last train home (Tokyo shuts down at 12 am and it's hard to go anywhere after except take an expensive cab ride (most expensive ride of my life)).
Cheapskates hang out in 24/7 internet cafés and nap with their face on a keyboard before going to work the next morning.

And: yeah, the government lowered the bar for immigration. The low fertility led to an aging population and not enough young workforce.
The country and culture is amazing and weird and interesting, but it's also a ticking demographic bomb.