Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

I'd love to visit there, all that stuff you guys said notwithstanding.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm

My experience with Japanese tourists has been wonderful! It would be an awesome place to visit if people are like the tourists who visit here.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 9:57 pm

I would love to live there particularly Sapporo in the Hokaido region.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 11:19 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Emiruko wrote:
The low birthrate is mostly do to lack of support/resources for the mother and the cost of raising children. :?

I saw a documentary about that recently. Apparently it is related to the hierarchical structure there and the incredible stress that people are under regarding work. They have to dedicate themselves totally to their jobs and work ridiculous hours as competition is fierce. Getting married, especially for the women, is effectively the end of their career as Japanese society expects them to stay at home and raise children. So women have to choose between a career and marriage.

And men have to assume the entire responsibility for the finances of the family, and never get to spend a lot of time with them because of the hours required. It's really unfair to both genders.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm

equestriatola wrote:
I'd love to visit there, all that stuff you guys said notwithstanding.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with visiting. But uprooting yourself and physically moving to Japan just because you like the animes is like a Japanese guy moving to America because he liked spaghetti westerns.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:19 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqaexAfE8_w[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:37 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
I would love to live there particularly Sapporo in the Hokaido region.

I love that area of Japan (planning to return next January). Kyoto is still the best city in Japan if you love history and Tokyo is a great international city.

-------------------------

There is a lot of talk about Japanese culture and its impact on society but its mostly very superficial. Japanese people are modern and although they have different family structures they are not really as open to direct comparison with are own as people would think. Their society has strong work expectations, South Korea actually has a much stronger sense of this (and the higher suicide rate to show for it). Both societies sometimes suffer from having too limited of a view, with regards to success but they both have strong social bonds. I see a lot to like in both.

Was not spoken of the soul.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm

Emiruko wrote:

None of what you said is true, except the fact that Japan has a low birthrate; and it makes you sound super ignorant. Japan is not as freaky and weird as everyone likes to think it is. Pop culture does not really show what a place is really like. In pretty much every country the people are overwhelmingly normal. The low birthrate is mostly do to lack of support/resources for the mother and the cost of raising children. :?

You can take your accusations and mud slinging and stick it up your fundiment; for it is true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23182523

http://trueslant.com/jeffkoyen/2010/07/ ... -disaster/

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

Emiruko wrote:
My point was that it wasn't because Japanese men are weird shut ins.

It is an exacerbating cause though.

http://blogs.reuters.com/japan/2009/12/ ... -and-game/

http://www.japanator.com/bbc-writer-cal ... 1570.phtml

My deviant art profile

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:05 pm

You should all be aware that Japan, under the direction of Abe, have instituted an economic policy commonly called Abenomics. This policy involves printing Yen aka quantitative easing in extreme quantities. This 2 year policy is reaching its end. Many economist and others of their ilk believe that this amount of Q.E. will damage the Japanese economy to the point of collapse and will likely cause hyperinflation.

I recommend that you study this issue if you plan to move to or visit Japan.

Emiruko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2014, 2:29 am

thomas81 wrote:
Emiruko wrote:

None of what you said is true, except the fact that Japan has a low birthrate; and it makes you sound super ignorant. Japan is not as freaky and weird as everyone likes to think it is. Pop culture does not really show what a place is really like. In pretty much every country the people are overwhelmingly normal. The low birthrate is mostly do to lack of support/resources for the mother and the cost of raising children. :?

You can take your accusations and mud slinging and stick it up your fundiment; for it is true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23182523

http://trueslant.com/jeffkoyen/2010/07/ ... -disaster/

There are plenty of articles stating people with Aspergers/Autism are murderers, but that doesn't mean it's true. (Those articles are super messed up and wrong.) Also, I didn't accuse you of anything except being uninformed, and telling you that you are wrong is not mudslinging. I am sorry if it came across as personally insulting, which wasn't my intention. I'm not even really mad at you, but the journalists and bloggers making up or exaggerating things to get page views. It's frustrating to constantly see people thinking that the place a good chunk of my family is from is some kind of anime fantasy land or is super strange and perverted because some Japanese people did something weird; even though every country ever has weirdos but aren't stereotyped for it in the same way.

Here are some articles on birth rates:
http://japandailypress.com/survey-64-sa ... n-0443569/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2 ... _else.html

http://www.kkc.or.jp/english/activities ... ents69.pdf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7096092.stm

Last edited by Emiruko on 27 Feb 2014, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 2:49 am

Every country has a chapter of the International Society of Jerks and Richardheads (ISJR):

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/bl ... xperiences

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:33 am

I wouldnt mind living in japan, I get along with the Japanese very well like no big deal. Its expensive as hell though and I am just as happy living in Silicon Valley in the San Francisco Bay area, its the closest thing to living in Japan without living in Japan and we do have some of the same stuff Japan has and a fairly large Japanese community very friendly laid back people they are. :D

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 27 Feb 2014, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:53 am

There's always those places to sleep in Japan that are like these drawers you crawl into. I wonder if they are cheaper to stay in?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Great Youtube Channel for Going to Japan

Would you move to another country because of politics?

Possibly, but not to Japan.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 6:11 am

You hardly can say something IS freaky or not. For japanese their culture is perfectly normal. I only can say, that for ME personally, working for an japanese company, that was leaded by japanese managers, was freaky. ^^

So the managers, were replaced every few years, to prevent them getting too "westernized". ^^ It´s absolutely expected to naturally greet your company manager, when he enters the building, even though t its naturally expected that he dont greet "his minions" in return and that he totally ignores to be greeted by us. They had strict believings into hierarchy: So even when I spoke rather perfect english, he never spoke personally a word with me, as long as my superior departement chief was there. So he walked right before me to my departement chief, told him that "Mrs. Schneekugel shall do this and that for him.", while ignoring my existance totally, and went again away, without even looking at me, even when I was sitting right there. When my departement chief was already gone, it was totally normal for him to talk to me directly without any negative issues. So its not that he did not like me or whatever, it simply was normal for him to not adress someone personally, if the person was "two ranks" below him, as long as "the rank" between was still in the office. ^^

And at least the managers I learned to know, still have tons of issues about "honour" and "worthyness" and "respect" stuff. So when our manager was totally ill (He had infuencia.. the REAL influencia, no minor flu.) he worked anyway until he almost broke down in company. Due to his doctor, he then agreed to be a few days at home. There was a minor everyday papershit, that would have needed his signing on it, but only about burocracy stuff, nothing serious. (Whenever we did a shipment that was outside of the country, for burocracy, he was the one to sign the delivery papers.) Because of him being really, really sh***y ill, instead of disturbing him for a minor burocracy nonsense thats happening twice a week, we simply made everything ready, and gave the papers on his desk, to sign for him, when he returns back from illness. So every autrian manager, that we would have dared to call and disturb at home for some burocratic nonsense, when being serious ill, would have ripped our ass apart. When the japanese manager returned, he ripped our ass aparts, because of him having the impression, that we would have done so "...to show him our disrespect, that we wanted to show him that he is not needed and gnagnagna..." It was really hard work to make him understand, that we actually wanted to care for him, to get healthy agains as soon as possible, so we did not want to disturb him and bother him with anything, that was not really important.

As well that one time a japanese manager of another country, took some examples with him. It was planned and discussed and arranged that way, but when he was actually in our factory, our storage chief was not there, so they could not actually do the burocracy stuff for taking the examples with him. In the end it leaded to our manager creating an E-mail that was sent to every other european company departement, where he blamed about an theft having happened in the austrian facility, by the hungarian manager. The hungarian manager then needed to replie, as well with copy to all other european company departements, that he excuses himself pubicly for the happening and so on... It was like watching an classic Samurai film with the Landlord getting into issues about "having lost his face" due to some stupid s**t, and his Samurai kneeling before him, excusing himself publicly, and offering Seppuku for the blame he put on his landlord... *head -> desk"

Around the european workers, there were already the jokes running, that at least, he was not forced to do Seppuku to restore his honour for the thiefery. XD

And at least around here in europe its habbit, that you normally send an company E-mail with the recipient you are really adressing, following with the various E-mail adresses of people, that get an copy. Nope...not in Hitachi... there is an "order of rank" for the Email recipients, depending on their status. XD How dare you sending an standard Email to another company worker, without respecting the "order of rank" for the one getting the Email as copies. XD

And when they had their great Hitachi meeting in germany, our austrian sales leader mentioned, that he saw there a japanese woman as well for the first time. With our company manager immediately explaining in an excusing (!) way "that she was only assistant". So as if he needed to explaind and find a reason, why the holy hitachi meeting was bothered with the existance of japanese woman. XD

And as I learned: If a japanese manager orders a taxi, they expect certain standard as at least a driver with a suit. So I was aware of asking for a taxi driver, that speaks english, but was not aware, that a taxi driver. daring to wear short trousers might damage our reputation/honour. ^^

And they dont have any sense of black humour. When our storage chief applied a sticker with "I also brake for Japanese." on his fork lift truck, our company manager was mad as hell about austrian working laws, that did not allow him to fire our storage manager immediately for that. So he only could fire him regularly, which meant that the storage manager had a time limit of one month. XD

I´d really like to go there for holiday, so the country and the differences in culture seems really interesting to me in a positive way, so if I ever go that far to asia, I´d certainly want to visit Japan as well, and think as tourist it will really be enjoyable. But I could not imagine to move there completely, as well that I now would avoid to hire for an japanese company with japanese management. It was a real freaky experiment for me, and its already very hard for me not to do typical aspie failures among my own culture identity.