Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2014, 12:37 am

Does anyone else have this problem? I find it very frustrating that the male selection of clothes fits my very simple tastes but it's much harder to just get a simple workshirt! I love a decent work shirt. But women's workshirts are either super hard to find or ludicrously expensive! It's very frustrating. I hate the textures they like to use in those fancy shirts and sometimes they're covered in patterns that hurt my eyes. Does anyone know any good alternatives?

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 1:31 am

I do all my clothes shopping at thrift shops. One unlikely advantage, besides the inexpensive costs, is the clothes have already been softened by being washed and cleaned beforehand. Plus, I usually get lucky and run into a larger collection than I'd expect.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 10:12 am

Where have you been shopping at? Plain dress shirts are available in many shops. If you go to those "fast fashion" trendy stores I can imagine it's hard to find quality shirts. Maybe go to some more expensive stores and try hitting their sales and clearance racks. If you wear XS or S your chance of finding some good stuff for a good price is very high. :) Once you found some brands, styles and sizes that suit you. You can shop online to save some money.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2014, 11:25 am

Those are all good ideas. I say this after having a shopping session at Carson's back a few months ago for work clothes, which was the last time I went clothes shopping. It was dreadful. Everything was scratchy or funky in some way.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2014, 12:01 am

I hate shopping for clothes with a passion, hate trying stuff on get frustrated if don't fit. I usually shop at thrift stores, I have also been known to buy clothes in the mens section because they are more comfortable cover more up, I hate clothes that show to much skin.

Eye test score: 21
AQ test score: 40.0 , AQ-10: 7.0
(RAADS-R): 183.0

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

I buy my clothes at Goodwill and at LL Bean.

I buy khakis because they're more comfortable than jeans and they count as business casual and polos because they aren't as clingy as female shirts tend to be plus they count as business casual. I love tech fabrics, and after purchasing my first tagless shirt years ago, there's no way I'll ever go back.

GW is great near me. Some of them have an intense smell from whatever detergent they use, but the one near me has great ventilation. It's in "the good part of town," which means I see a lot of Land's End, LL Bean, Banana Republic, North face, etc. If you go at the right times on the right days, there aren't a lot of people. The stores don't tend to be brightly lit, which a lot of people complain about, but I've never had any trouble seeing flaws. A lot of stuff there was either worn once, never worn (as in still has the tags on it), or was sent to the dry cleaners and never retrieved. I've bought nice cashmere sweaters and silk lined peacoats there, as well as a telescope to stare at the stars, a lot of cds, dvds, an e-reader, fishing gear, and piles of books.

Downsides: if you go on the wrong day/at the wrong time, it can be full of families with kids. This is sadly especially true on half off Saturdays when it becomes a mob scene. If you want to take advantage of half off Saturdays, you have to either go really early or really late. Really early is of course more preferable because you have more selection.

If you go to one that isn't in "the good part of town," expect the quality of what's available to suffer.

Also, like I said before, some of them smell very strongly of that detergent they use.

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2014, 10:37 am

I buy mine on ebay mostly but have very few - I have the same problem :( I like simple, elegant, plain or pinstripe work shirts and it's nigh on impossible to get them. They all seem to have puff sleeves, ruffs, loud patterns or are in horrible fabrics I can't touch!

You are probably an Aspie.

aspiekelly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

I need new pants and jeans badly and I didn't want to pay $50 a pair at the plus size clothing store. I tried everything on in the 1/2 price section and nothing looked right!

I went to a used clothing store and found brand new jeans with the stickers and tags for $4.95, the best part was that they did not even need to be hemmed. :D I got a purse, the jeans, and some shirts all for $27 (what I would have paid for the one pair of 1/2 price pants in the other store).

MissMaria
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2014, 2:51 am

I get the "Kate" bigshirt at one stop plus dot com. You can usually pick them up on sale for $14.99 (USD); regular price they're $30. The "clearance" and "outlet" sections of the site usually also have a variety of sizes in discontinued colors.

They carry other button-front styles that have a breast pocket, if that's a must for you. (It's a deal breaker for me.)

I first discovered the site while searching high and low in local shops and online for denim and/or twill skirts. I wanted something for work that was as durable, comfortable and serviceable as jeans, yet more formal. Plus the skirts had pockets, which I need. I've also got a couple of jackets, several pairs of shoes and some cardigans from them, but not jeans or pants.

They carry US women's size 12 and above, and ship to 42 countries (as well as the US). Everything I've purchased is in their Jessica London, Roaman's or Woman Within brands, and is well made and true to size. The T-shirts & polos I've bought from them are tagless; the other clothing is not.

I don't like thrift shops for clothes; where I live, they're good for picking up used books and housewares for cheap. The clothing is just so-so. If I go 30-75 miles away, the thrift shops there are 10x better all-around but they rarely have anything in my size.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:26 pm

Ben Sherman is good for ladies shirts. Their range is simple, comfortable and smart for work. No frills or exravagance about them.