Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jamie2
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2014, 5:06 am

It's really interesting, what everyone has mentioned. What I tend to find weird though is that I keep getting into fights over things I don't think are arguments, it's not like I really want to talk to people about something or mention my opinion. Regardless, I walk into an argument, unbeknownst to me. For example, the other day I was talking about taxes, and I just wanted to clarify something about filing for taxes, instantly without me realizing what I did, the person started arguing with me, or yelling at me, I have no idea what upset them, and I never have gotten the answer to my question. These things happen often, with different situations, it's really weird for me. Usually I get into arguments without realizing it, when trying to find information about something, since I don't really tend to be a highly opinionated person about anything and tend to always consider both sides, which also causes arguments on its own.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:29 am

I tend to interrupt people a lot, also am not a good listener (auditory processing issues). So people tend to get annoyed. This is me trying to control what I say as well. The most common complaints about me is "you don't let me finish" and "you're not really listening". If I really get to say what I want I think I can blow off most of my contacts within one day. :D

I wish most people enjoy cool headed debate but most people don't like it. You try a rational argument and within a few minutes they're so insulted, it's like you've committed awful crime against their whole family or something. That's why I try to keep my mouth shut if I'm not sure what to say. I'm probably considered one of the better adapted aspies and even I'm resentful about social interactions. I'm never gonna get it right. Even to those close to me who know I'm a nice person, I'm often rude, neglectful, bossy, inattentive, uncaring, unsympathetic or just overall awkward. It's just a losing battle.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2014, 8:09 am

dianthus wrote:
I rarely get into arguments, because I rarely say my real opinion about anything, and when I do I like to just say it once or twice at the most and let it go, but it's likely to make someone mad and then they will try to pick an argument with me.

I have this idea in my mind that I say my opinion, they say their opinion, and we don't have to agree or do anything about it, it's just putting it out there so you both know where the other person stands on a topic, but of course it doesn't work that way. People get mad.

I have that same idea. Nope, never works that way.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 9:11 am

I remember once during the last presidential election I got in an argument with my sister over gun rights and somehow turned it into me being a supporter for mass school shooters. Then again my sister likes to put words in my mouth.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 9:42 am

micfranklin wrote:
I remember once during the last presidential election I got in an argument with my sister over gun rights and somehow turned it into me being a supporter for mass school shooters. Then again my sister likes to put words in my mouth.

I got into an argument with my husband over gun rights (he's pro and I'm not) and think I may have said that he was enabling mass shooters, yes.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 9:48 am

structrix wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

I got into an argument with my husband over gun rights (he's pro and I'm not) and think I may have said that he was enabling mass shooters, yes.

Funny how these turn into making you the bad guy. Originally I said that more crimes are committed with handguns than anything, so you should worry more about them than banning assault weapons (FBI stats say that). Somehow she got "so you're okay with crazy people walking around with AK-47s," which was not what I said.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:23 am

micfranklin wrote:
structrix wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

Funny how these turn into making you the bad guy. Originally I said that more crimes are committed with handguns than anything, so you should worry more about them than banning assault weapons (FBI stats say that). Somehow she got "so you're okay with crazy people walking around with AK-47s," which was not what I said.

Yes, he's the bad guy, lol. But the gun discussion is a very devisive discussion. It is one that me husband and I try and avoid as much as possible.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2014, 11:05 am

jamie2 wrote:
It's really interesting, what everyone has mentioned. What I tend to find weird though is that I keep getting into fights over things I don't think are arguments, it's not like I really want to talk to people about something or mention my opinion. Regardless, I walk into an argument, unbeknownst to me. For example, the other day I was talking about taxes, and I just wanted to clarify something about filing for taxes, instantly without me realizing what I did, the person started arguing with me, or yelling at me, I have no idea what upset them, and I never have gotten the answer to my question. These things happen often, with different situations, it's really weird for me. Usually I get into arguments without realizing it, when trying to find information about something, since I don't really tend to be a highly opinionated person about anything and tend to always consider both sides, which also causes arguments on its own.

I often get "Why does everything have to be an argument with you?" and I am completely baffled because I never even knew I was starting arguments. I thought I was having a perfectly good conversation but apparently they do not see it as that. I usually tell people "There is only one person who thinks this is an argument and that one person is not me so...."

I know people intentionally have arguments, I do not know why they would, I just see it as I am talking and they are responding, the only bad thing about that is I can not tell HOW they are responding. All I know is that the conversation is going back and fourth and, too me, that feels good cause I almost feel like I connect... Then they point out that I am getting everything all wrong and it goes down hill and I go back to being "Oh yeah, I forgot I really dont understand conversation". Kinda sucks and hurts too.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:17 pm

I find that it's more likely that someone will start an argument with me because of their problems with me, rather than any problem I really have. People have issues with the truth, and anyone who brings it to their attention, especially when the truth proves them wrong.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:43 pm

That happens to me once in a while. Sometimes when I make a comment about something or ask a question some people would snap at me and it seems like I'm the only person they would do it to. I don't understand it either because what I would say wouldn't really sound offensive to me and they seem to overreact to what I said, even if I was wrong about something. It seems like they take it that I'm asking for a solution to my comment, but I'm just trying to make small talk. I just try to avoid those kind of people as much as I can.

Last edited by slw1990 on 28 Feb 2014, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:09 pm

I always end up in arguments even though I don't realize I am arguing half the time. I am always told that I am argumentative even though I never intend to be. I also get extremely emotional and it is also mixed with a strong degree of logic and sometimes my logic is not like anyone else's so it can get really confusing and extremely draining.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:11 pm

inachildsmind wrote:
jamie2 wrote:

I often get "Why does everything have to be an argument with you?" and I am completely baffled because I never even knew I was starting arguments. I thought I was having a perfectly good conversation but apparently they do not see it as that.
This happens to me CONSTANTLY!! !

Wreck It Ralph

jamie2
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Feb 2014, 2:59 am

y-pod wrote:
I tend to interrupt people a lot, also am not a good listener (auditory processing issues). So people tend to get annoyed. This is me trying to control what I say as well. The most common complaints about me is "you don't let me finish" and "you're not really listening". If I really get to say what I want I think I can blow off most of my contacts within one day. :D

I wish most people enjoy cool headed debate but most people don't like it. You try a rational argument and within a few minutes they're so insulted, it's like you've committed awful crime against their whole family or something. That's why I try to keep my mouth shut if I'm not sure what to say. I'm probably considered one of the better adapted aspies and even I'm resentful about social interactions. I'm never gonna get it right. Even to those close to me who know I'm a nice person, I'm often rude, neglectful, bossy, inattentive, uncaring, unsympathetic or just overall awkward. It's just a losing battle.

Wow, this is me everyday, I keep getting people yelling at me because of this, it's interesting, thanks, I thought I was alone! I do this even while instant messaging someone.

Lord_Psych
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2014, 3:58 am

Not too long ago, A man was sitting down in a chair holding a big sign that said "EVOLUTION IS A LIE" in front of him. All I gave him was a thumbs down and he proceeded to provoke me into an argument by chanting "yay run away" and laugh.

That's the thing about people. You just can't help wanting your opinions to be heard. Some can handle it better than others. I'm not the greatest debater in the world so it wouldn't have helped anyways.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 8:21 am

skibum wrote:
I always end up in arguments even though I don't realize I am arguing half the time. I am always told that I am argumentative even though I never intend to be. I also get extremely emotional and it is also mixed with a strong degree of logic and sometimes my logic is not like anyone else's so it can get really confusing and extremely draining.

I love your Wreck it Ralph quote <3 It is the best quote ever!

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 9:43 am

Look no further than a political discussion forum for the biggest arguments ever. I've seen ones go on for no less than 10 pages.