Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2014, 3:58 am

Could the Nerd stereotype been an early attempt to describe what is now called Asperger's Syndrome? I am beginning to wonder about that. They do tend to specialize in things, rather than become Polymaths.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 5:05 am

Not at all. Anyone can be a nerd. All you have to do is be smart, slightly non-comformist and like off-key stuff. Or be completely normal with the exception of the fact you wear glasses.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 10:55 am

886 wrote:
Not at all. Anyone can be a nerd. All you have to do is be smart, slightly non-comformist and like off-key stuff. Or be completely normal with the exception of the fact you wear glasses.

Pretty close to completely wrong (and useless observation). So why don't you let the person start at least one thread without your snarkiness.

But in answer to the OP.

Yeah, there probably is a correlation, in that the origin of 'Nerd' in the modern sense definitely included many people on the spectrum.

The meaning of 'Nerd' has however, since drifted and been embraced by a larger segment of society and is no longer as derogatory a term as before, so the two are no longer as closely related. At least that's my take.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 11:10 am

My philosophy is that not all nerds are aspies and not all aspies are nerds. There could be many aspies who do fit the definition. I did fit the stereotype for several years of the one with the horn-rimmed glasses who spent the entire day on my computer.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 4:46 pm

Me? Nerd and proud of it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm

I think the Dork stereotype is more Aspieish than the Nerd one. Nerds are brains & Dorks are socially awkward. Lots more Aspies are socially awkward than straight A students in every class considering the high amount of us who have learning disorders like dyslexia & hyperlexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 5:43 am

Toy_Soldier wrote:
886 wrote:

Pretty close to completely wrong (and useless observation). So why don't you let the person start at least one thread without your snarkiness.

But in answer to the OP.

Yeah, there probably is a correlation, in that the origin of 'Nerd' in the modern sense definitely included many people on the spectrum.

The meaning of 'Nerd' has however, since drifted and been embraced by a larger segment of society and is no longer as derogatory a term as before, so the two are no longer as closely related. At least that's my take.

:lol: