Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2014, 12:20 pm

I wish there was something like a facebook like button on these forums.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 12:53 pm

There was one.

However people were accidentally clicking it too frequently and they requested alex removed it.

Maybe alex could implement one with some confirmation to prevent accidentally liking something

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 6:52 am

I thought the issue was clicking the like button automatically linked you to Facebook and your "like" would show up there for all to see.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 7:00 am

Aimless wrote:
I thought the issue was clicking the like button automatically linked you to Facebook and your "like" would show up there for all to see.

That is what I stated.

People accidentally clicked the button, plenty of users use touchscreens now even in desktops apparently, and there was no confirmation(it was automatically shared rather than getting a new tab that said you were about to share... on facebook)

The only way around it was to log yourself out of facebook every time you wanted to go through this website.

Plenty of people were unhappy with said solution

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

I would like a button that wasn't linked to FB so we could just "like" a particular post. Sometimes you like it but have nothing to say in response so have a "I like this!" button would be good. Also maybe a "I don't like this!" as well. Of course the only problem with that is some people would naturally get their feelings hurt if they didn't have enough likes or had some unlikes and it would drive the paranoid folks nuts. Just like with the reputation system that I suggested before.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 3:04 pm

This is what I originally intended - not something linked to facebook, but just having a like button.

It wouldn't be to validate everything I agree with. Just the outstanding ones. Sometimes I really like what someone posts and don't want to type in a response that just makes the thread longer.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 4:10 pm

aann wrote:
This is what I originally intended - not something linked to facebook, but just having a like button.

It wouldn't be to validate everything I agree with. Just the outstanding ones. Sometimes I really like what someone posts and don't want to type in a response that just makes the thread longer.

I understand what you mean, but just imagine all the racket over "Nobody likes my posts, I'm not in the popular bunch, even here I don't fit in" or "How could somebody agree with HIM when he's such a <whatever insult comes to mind>". I mean if you notice the sheer volume of people complaining about not being liked in real life and not having friends in real life, just imagine what not getting their post "liked" would cause. A lot of people on here are way over sensitive and take everything personally and in the worst possible way. I once posted an anonymous message, a really mean and reaming one, to someone who had attacked a very nice poster on another thread, for no reason. So I said something in that thread then went over to the anonymous thread and ripped him a new ass. It was fairly obvious who it was to but then somebody who is known for being rather morose and pessimistic and who is someone who I very rarely cross paths with on the forum or interact with on the forum asks me if that post was about him! Couple that level of paranoia and low self esteem and multiply it by the number of people here who fit into that catagory and add an innocuous "like" button, which in reality doesn't hurt anybody, and you have a recipe for disaster, meltdowns, arguments, flounces, flame wars, grudges, etc, etc, etc.

In other words, it just wouldn't work here. Too many overly sensitive people who would take it personally if every post wasn't liked and then they would analyze the "liked" posts to death about why they are liked and thread after thread would be started about whats so great about that post and why do you all hate my posts so much, etc.

See what I mean?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

Yup. Got it.