Aspergers normal to above normal IQ true or false?

Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,507
Location: Canada

12 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm

i had a different IQ test, my working memory, information processing and verbal I.Q was below average but my visual I.Q wa above, i dont know the exact numbers.


_________________
Obsessing over Sonic the Hedgehog since 2009
Diagnosed with Aspergers' syndrome in 2012.
Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 severity without intellectual disability and without language impairment in 2015.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 43 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


starkid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,152
Location: California

15 Mar 2015, 12:26 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i had a different IQ test, my working memory, information processing and verbal I.Q was below average but my visual I.Q wa above, i dont know the exact numbers.


Did you take Stanford-Binet?


_________________
Assume nothing; question everything.
DX Central Auditory Processing Deficit
+ Hyperacusis


starfox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2015
Posts: 1,012
Location: United states of Eurasia

15 Mar 2015, 6:33 pm

Online IQ tests are not accurate. You must do one professionaly. I don't know my IQ either but I'm guessing average :) I have a recommendation to get it tested tho but IQ isn't everything, it's what you can do with your intelligence that makes most difference and not only having it.


_________________
We become what we think about; since everything in the beginning is just an idea.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.


Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,033

20 Jun 2015, 2:24 am

starkid wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
For example, the experts place Bach's I.Q. at 165,


Based on what? And what are they experts in, psychometric testing of corpses? :P


Based on brain raping math like this:



Or his ability to improvise similar material on the spot during three different keyboard competitions, where he made very famous french organists look like buffoons. And the mathematical puzzles embedded in much of his music, symbolic references and sentimentality that wouldn't even be noticeable to someone without extremely intimate knowledge of the instruments (in his St. Matthew Passion, for example, when the choir is singing Jesu "thou art most high" during the first chorus, the bassoons play notes that are high for their range but not exactly that high compared to other instruments), a number of his famous pieces of music are an encyclopedic microcosm of every similar piece of music at the same time (the Art of Fugue catalogs every known style of fugue at the time, the mass in B minor catalogs every late baroque style of sacred music, etc.), as well as the most impressive fact of all: at the same time that his music matured over the course of his life, he continued to write more and more extremely complex music, constantly evolving to the point where in many areas he was over 100 years ahead of the curve, ending up with a grand total of over 3500 pieces of music (that we know of). So you tell me how smart you have to be to paint the Sistine Chapel over a thousand times.


_________________
There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib


GreenPandaLord
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2015
Age: 29
Posts: 81
Location: Wyoming

20 Jun 2015, 2:52 am

I have an IQ that is above average, yet Albert Einstein said." Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. It will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Labels are great as it helps us to organise and understand things, but it can harm by adding stigma and bias thinking to things. If you tell someone that you are autistic they will begin seeing everything through that lenses. You might do something weird and they will think" was that his/her Aspergers." It is a tough situation to use IQ tests as the same result can apply they are bias and are not formed to the individual testee.


_________________
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Arthur Conan Doyle


boredome
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 1,020
Location: here

20 Jun 2015, 3:06 am

I don't think that IQ fully describes a person's potential and intelligence with things.

I know plenty of people that probably wouldn't score very high on a traditional IQ test, but are clever in other ways.

I was tested once and they said I had an IQ of 120 something (WISC 4, done by a professional). However, there are definitely ways in which I am very stupid. lol


_________________
life is a game


gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jul 2014
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 128

20 Jun 2015, 9:14 am

I don't believe that IQ tests are always a good indicator of how intelligent a person is as they don't take into account soft skills only hard skills like logic, arithmetic etc. Aspies in general I believe are probably above average at hard skills hence why we often perform very well on IQ tests.



Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 26 Jun 2015
Posts: 505

26 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm

Without reading the other responses (sorry), here's my response.

1. Mostly true. One of the ways Aspergians were differentiated from people with 'classic ASD' was by IQ (which was, for AS, average and above). However...

2. There's no true measure of human intelligence, just like there's no true measure of empathy. IQ can be useful in applying for services, etc., but if your IQ is average to above average... it really doesn't mean much.

3. Referring to (1), notice I say "were differentiated". The DSM 5 no longer classifies AS (or PDD-NOS, for that matter) as an official condition. Everything's just "autism spectrum disorder".

4. And, finally, IQ tests online are almost always unreliable. You need to be evaluated by a professional in a clinical, unbiased setting.


_________________
Call me Xen.
--
xenization (n.) - the act of traveling as a stranger.


Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2015
Posts: 177
Location: In front of a screen

26 Jul 2015, 11:40 pm

On my WISC(Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children) I got a 123. This is probably more accurate than online tests as it was administered in person by a licensed psychologist. I took a few online tests and they kept saying it was around 150. Online tests are not accurate as they ask very simple questions and do not perform critical thinking tests.



kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,036
Location: California

27 Jul 2015, 12:16 am

I'm on the side of thinking IQ scores don't really tell us as much about someone as they want us to believe.

I was tested by a professional and I found out they can't figure my number out, so I guess I don't really have an IQ :P
(although, most people put me at above average. How far, I have no clue. I also don't remember the name of the test, but I think it was the WAIS - Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale)


_________________
Your Aspie score: 171 of 200
Your Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 40 of 200


cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,217
Location: northeast US

27 Jul 2015, 12:22 am

sharkattack wrote:
Image


It's says I have an IQ of 128 and that test was hard.



that puts you in the gifted range. congrats.



cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,217
Location: northeast US

27 Jul 2015, 12:30 am

Xenization wrote:
Without reading the other responses (sorry), here's my response.

1. Mostly true. One of the ways Aspergians were differentiated from people with 'classic ASD' was by IQ (which was, for AS, average and above). However...

2. There's no true measure of human intelligence, just like there's no true measure of empathy. IQ can be useful in applying for services, etc., but if your IQ is average to above average... it really doesn't mean much.

3. Referring to (1), notice I say "were differentiated". The DSM 5 no longer classifies AS (or PDD-NOS, for that matter) as an official condition. Everything's just "autism spectrum disorder".

4. And, finally, IQ tests online are almost always unreliable. You need to be evaluated by a professional in a clinical, unbiased setting.


my official IQ and my IQ by an online test are within two points of each other.



Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 26 Jun 2015
Posts: 505

29 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

cathylynn wrote:
Xenization wrote:
Without reading the other responses (sorry), here's my response.

1. Mostly true. One of the ways Aspergians were differentiated from people with 'classic ASD' was by IQ (which was, for AS, average and above). However...

2. There's no true measure of human intelligence, just like there's no true measure of empathy. IQ can be useful in applying for services, etc., but if your IQ is average to above average... it really doesn't mean much.

3. Referring to (1), notice I say "were differentiated". The DSM 5 no longer classifies AS (or PDD-NOS, for that matter) as an official condition. Everything's just "autism spectrum disorder".

4. And, finally, IQ tests online are almost always unreliable. You need to be evaluated by a professional in a clinical, unbiased setting.


my official IQ and my IQ by an online test are within two points of each other.


That means basically nothing, and it certainly doesn't validate online IQ tests.


_________________
Call me Xen.
--
xenization (n.) - the act of traveling as a stranger.


boredome
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 1,020
Location: here

29 Jul 2015, 10:22 pm

that test isn't reliable or accurate I think

I scored 139 on it, which clearly isn't correct since my actual tested iq is 123. it looks like all it is is 20 questions and a timer.. if you really are interested in having an objective measure of your intelligence go see a professional or something. that being said it's probably not a good idea to obsess over how smart you are..


_________________
life is a game


sport
Raven
Raven

Joined: 20 Feb 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 124
Location: us

23 Mar 2020, 11:26 am

I guess the reason I don't like them is have always scored lower than average.I never was top in the class.