Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 6:51 pm

Tanz wrote:
You have my undying jealousy too. He is one of my favorite authors and still remains on my short list of actors and writers to meet. I have met quite a few, at various cons, though for a while there I had really bad luck that they died within a year of me meeting them. (Like Patrick Troughton, Ian Marter, and a couple others whose names escape me at the moment.)

YOU met Pat Troughton and Ian Marter? Now I'M f***ing jealous!! ! I was only a toddler when THEY died.....

Maybe I might have to keep you away from Terry Pratchett to make sure your curse don't cause him to die early....

On sabbatical...

Drakshin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2009, 10:50 pm

Tanz wrote:
You have my undying jealousy too. He is one of my favorite authors and still remains on my short list of actors and writers to meet. I have met quite a few, at various cons, though for a while there I had really bad luck that they died within a year of me meeting them. (Like Patrick Troughton, Ian Marter, and a couple others whose names escape me at the moment.)

Well i wanted to meet David Gemmel (not sure if he's that well known) but he died summer 2006 :(

karasu wrote:
I recently got a shipment of five of his books--all to re-read. It's a good thing, as I've been sick for days and have had nothing else to do. He continues to rock my socks.

It blows my mind that there are lots of people who have never heard of this guy. It's like not knowing who Douglas Adams is. Or who Monty Python were.

Anyway you have my undying jealousy. ;p Congrats on the signing. Have you perhaps seen the TV adaptation of Hogfather? It was...fun.

I have no clue who Douglas Adams or Monty Python are / were. But damned be thee who never read TP.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 11:07 pm

That's awesome. My sister and Mum have been to several of his signings. Very cool guy.

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2009, 11:35 pm

Cool:) I am a big fan. I purchased an audiobook of "Monstrous Regiment" and "Fifth ELephant" (read by Nigel Planer), which is a great way to enjoy them:). I probably look rather insane bursting out laughing while I am walking home listening to them, but at least people don't walk too close to me ... :lol: I have been building my hardcopy collection as well. I am knee deep , so to speak, into "Lords and Ladies" at the moment.

I have seen a few interviews with Terry Pratchett, he is an incredibly quick witted and intelligent sounding man. I was saddened to hear he had Alzheimer's - he is an engaging writer and even stories I have read over and over, I still get drawn in completely, and I will be sad to see that fade in time :cry:

Fluffybunnyfeet
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2009, 1:41 am

Yes, I loved the audiobook of Monstrous Regiment too.

I went to see TP here in New Zealand a couple of years ago. And i've been keeping up with news, saw a UK documentary about TP's Alzheimers recently. Might have to re-read some earlier stuff, things have been quiet enough that it might be a welcome diversion.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:58 pm

he doesn't come out to this neck of the woods, alas. Have read...oh, about 12 of the 40-odd books (some very odd...;) that he's written. I'm jealous too...;)

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 11:40 am

Has anyone seen "The Colour of Magic" yet? How awful is it? :(