Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 2:15 am

Today, I went to a book-signing that had Terry Pratchett. This is the second time I've been to one, although this time, I had 5 books to have him sign (though I found out later he could only sign 3 books per person. Damn!).

A couple of girls standing behind me actually shrieked when they saw him through the shop window. I thought one of them had been assaulted! Weird. I thought that sort of stuff was for rockstars, not for authors....

While he signed my books, I was able to (unlike last time) talk to him briefly. I asked him how was he enjoying Australia. He said he was seeing it from the insides of planes, hotels and bookshops.

I got him to sign The Science of Discworld II: The Globe (the first Science of Discworld book was the one he signed when I went to my first signing), The Colour of Magic, and Reaper Man. He put unique comments in each one, and the funniest was in Reaper Man: "Read it and reap, Terry Pratchett".

On sabbatical...

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 2:22 am

Terry who? :?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 2:42 am

RedMage wrote:
Terry who? :?

Terry Pratchett, writer of the "Discworld" novels. It sort of like "Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", except it's a fantasy-comedy rather than sci-fi-comedy.

Have you ever watched cartoons on the ABC called "Soul Music" or "Wyrd Sisters"? They're adaptations of the Discworld novels of the same name.

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 2:43 am

BTW, nice new Red Mage avatar, and is the signature a quote from "8-Bit Theater"?

On sabbatical...

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 2:49 am

Quatermass wrote:
BTW, nice new Red Mage avatar, and is the signature a quote from "8-Bit Theater"?

Thanks. Yeah, I was looking for a quote from Red Mage and found that one.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 2:50 am

Quatermass wrote:
Have you ever watched cartoons on the ABC called "Soul Music" or "Wyrd Sisters"? They're adaptations of the Discworld novels of the same name.

Nope, I've never even heard of them.

Cybrludite
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2007, 3:04 am

I'm looking forward to Midsouthcon next month. PTerry is going to be the Guest of Honor.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 3:58 am

I met an author once, but I forgot who he was.

Blind
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2007, 4:33 am

I read a book of him in english class "Guards! Guards!" it is a bit confusing!

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 6:00 am

There was a feature length live-action adaptation of Hogfather on in the UK over Christmas. It was pretty good, and pretty close to the book.

I hope that it gets to Australia soon Quatermass - it's the first "proper" film that Terry Pratchett was happy to have made.

Never had any chance to see Terry Pratchett in person yet (though there's someone who's kids go to the same school as mine who is the spitting image of him - beard, hat and all :lol: ).

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 6:03 am

Cernunnos wrote:
There was a feature length live-action adaptation of Hogfather on in the UK over Christmas. It was pretty good, and pretty close to the book.

I hope that it gets to Australia soon Quatermass - it's the first "proper" film that Terry Pratchett was happy to have made.

Never had any chance to see Terry Pratchett in person yet (though there's someone who's kids go to the same school as mine who is the spitting image of him - beard, hat and all :lol: ).

Yeah, Hogfather does look good.

I actually know someone, from when I used to work in a newsagent, who looks very like him. Face and hair.

On sabbatical...

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2007, 7:39 am

I recently got a shipment of five of his books--all to re-read. It's a good thing, as I've been sick for days and have had nothing else to do. He continues to rock my socks.

It blows my mind that there are lots of people who have never heard of this guy. It's like not knowing who Douglas Adams is. Or who Monty Python were.

Anyway you have my undying jealousy. ;p Congrats on the signing. Have you perhaps seen the TV adaptation of Hogfather? It was...fun.

Tanz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2007, 8:55 am

You have my undying jealousy too. He is one of my favorite authors and still remains on my short list of actors and writers to meet. I have met quite a few, at various cons, though for a while there I had really bad luck that they died within a year of me meeting them. (Like Patrick Troughton, Ian Marter, and a couple others whose names escape me at the moment.)

"Lunch...is on Millie" - Ace Rimmer

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2007, 9:44 am

Terry Pratchett is cool

korppi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2007, 6:02 pm

That's right, he's really cool. I don't know the latest count - luckily there are lots of his books! - but I think I've read the majority of them.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 6:51 pm

Tanz wrote:
You have my undying jealousy too. He is one of my favorite authors and still remains on my short list of actors and writers to meet. I have met quite a few, at various cons, though for a while there I had really bad luck that they died within a year of me meeting them. (Like Patrick Troughton, Ian Marter, and a couple others whose names escape me at the moment.)

YOU met Pat Troughton and Ian Marter? Now I'M f***ing jealous!! ! I was only a toddler when THEY died.....

Maybe I might have to keep you away from Terry Pratchett to make sure your curse don't cause him to die early....

On sabbatical...