Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 3:06 am

What do you prefer; online friends or real life friends?

I think online friends are better, even though I'll never meet half of mine. :x

Freawaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2007, 3:36 am

It's nice to be able to turn them off when you're tired. XD

Guy: Where did u go last nite?
Freawaru: Got booted, sorry

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 3:47 am

real life.

since most of mine...all of mine are real life.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 5:29 am

Freawaru wrote:
It's nice to be able to turn them off when you're tired. XD

Yeah. And block them when they annoy you. :lol:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 5:29 am

I always prefer real-life friends. At least you can go and arrange to meet them face-to-face and see what they're about. Internet 'friendships' are just words on a screen and it would be very difficult to make a proper emotional bond with someone.

Also, the Internet does tend to have its share of fruitcakes, oddballs and people who can become a nuisance and a chore to you. Offline, you can simply avoid them - unless they start stalking you and following you everywhere, that is.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 6:34 am

Undecided :P

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 6:38 am

Heh, I don't favour real or online friends.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 9:50 am

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Online friends because they can be there when real life ones cannot...if you have enough of them, that is. Real life friends, because you can do something with them, like watch a film or go for a walk or just talk. Disadvantage of online friends is that you cannot generally have them over to watch a film or talk. With real life friends, it can get annoying if they intrude when you are occupied with something.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 10:07 am

I have a total of four online friends from WP now that I chat over AIM with regularly, hope to add more, and a smattering of NTs. I enjoy the lack of a need for face-to-face contact. I was contacted last night by a friend telling me about a 160$ web design job he wanted me to do. So do I like online friends? Yes.

jonrkc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2007, 11:00 am

I like both online and real, physically present friends. I'm a lot more at ease sitting at a keyboard interacting with people, but I have three or four fairly longtime "real" friends that I will visit with now and then. As long as the group (including me) is no more than three people I don't get too anxious. Two is far better than three, though. More than three, and I'd rather not get together at all.

I don't do any chatting via internet since I've found it more a nuisance than a pleasure the times I've tried it. I thought technical or special-interest chat rooms would be pretty wonderful but I dropped that expectation after I found that there was generally nobody to talk to, or nobody to help me with a computer problem, etc. Forums are better for that, because your request gets more exposure.

As far as just chatting, I don't like to do it anyway, so I'm not missing anything there. Serious conversation is a pleasure; chatting is a real turn-off, for me. (That includes on the phone.)

I've been friends with one person for five years now, another for twenty, and a third for almost thirty-three years. I depend too much on these people and worry about that quite a bit.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 11:03 am

Real life. I view wp not as my social life but rather as a forum for which I can relate to others in a specific area, AS, that I will never be able to in real life. I like the discourse with people here, but its not real friendship. I suppose it could become that if I got more into it (and I suppose I have been getting more into it recently) but for now at least, I prefer face to face contact.

greyh3lium
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2007, 11:28 am

i dont like this 'RL' thing - we are after all, all real and not fake heartless people are we not? :) That is the way i view my friends - they are all real whether they live near me or not ^^

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2007, 12:02 pm

I agree with greyh3lium. I like have friends online and friends I can see in person, since most of my very good friends live far way from me, I'm used to not seeing them. However, I do like to have friends to do stuff with like watch a movie, go out and do something with, or someone to eat lunch or dinner with.

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Feb 2007, 12:05 pm

real life friends

Ignition_Cognition
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2007, 12:13 pm

I can't deal with either. :cry:

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2007, 12:16 pm

I prefer online friends, but I'm trying to make an effort to stay in touch with the very few friends/ close acquaintances I had IRL too.

For me friendship is about communication, not about going out to do stuff... so online is fine.