Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 2:57 pm

Finally.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/25/candy ... y-crusher/

Quote:
Social game publisher King is giving up its trademark claim over the word “Candy.”

The Candy Crush Saga maker is withdrawing its trademark bid for “Candy” with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The company has confirmed this action to GamesBeat, but it could not comment on the matter further due to its upcoming initial public offering. On Feb. 5, King acquired the rights to the 2009 Blackberry puzzler Candy Crusher. It plans to use the trademark for “Candy Crusher” to protect its flagship title Candy Crush Saga, which is one of the products that helped King dominate the multibillion-dollar mobile gaming business in 2013. Now, if a developer releases something with a similar name to Candy Crush, King can use the established Candy Crusher property in a case against the threat.

It’s important to note that King still has the “Candy” trademark in the European Union, and it does not plan to abandon that.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:38 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Finally.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/25/candy ... y-crusher/

Quote:
Social game publisher King is giving up its trademark claim over the word “Candy.”

The Candy Crush Saga maker is withdrawing its trademark bid for “Candy” with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The company has confirmed this action to GamesBeat, but it could not comment on the matter further due to its upcoming initial public offering. On Feb. 5, King acquired the rights to the 2009 Blackberry puzzler Candy Crusher. It plans to use the trademark for “Candy Crusher” to protect its flagship title Candy Crush Saga, which is one of the products that helped King dominate the multibillion-dollar mobile gaming business in 2013. Now, if a developer releases something with a similar name to Candy Crush, King can use the established Candy Crusher property in a case against the threat.

It’s important to note that King still has the “Candy” trademark in the European Union, and it does not plan to abandon that.

Candy Swipe already existed before Candy Crush. I don't see why they should be able to patent a game that's already a knock off of an earlier game just because the copy happened to be more popular than the original and because they have better lawyers.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:48 pm

Finally! I still don't understand how they could ever accept patenting the word candy. Well, glad that's ov...

Aspiegaming wrote:
WHAT THE HELL!