Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Bester
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2007, 9:44 am

Hi, I'm a 28 year old male and I'm trying to move out of my mothers house.
It's extremely stressful. Every week I search through the newspaper looking for an apartment. However its hard finding an apartment at all, never mind one near the town center. I'm too anxious to drive, so it has to be near the town center. I would prefer to rent an apartment instead of a house because its easier to maintain. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2007, 1:27 pm

Hi, I'm a 28 year old male too, also in IT. I moved into a new apartment recently (about 2 weeks ago).
Moving is stressful, it took me 3 months to do this move, mainly because I was being messed around by other people ('friends' who couldn't make up their minds what they wanted). In the end I decided just to do the move myself as it was getting too stressful, I'm happy now with my own place.
Anyway, I originally moved out of home (with my parents) when I was 18, since then I've more or less moved every year.

I'm so glad I moved out of home, although it was great living there, and my parents love me and everything, I have tasted independence and just couldn't move back with my parents for any length of time.

This website has been very useful to me during all my moves:
http://www.email4property.co.uk/
You just select the area you are looking to move to, then enter your requirements, then you can (via the website) send an email to all the letting agents listed for that area with your requirements.
(one form does it all)

Once you have done that, you just sit back and wait ... the letting agents will contact you (either email or phone - your choice) with properties matching your requirements.

Makes it a lot easier, I always recommend that site, hope it helps.

AssBurgerWithCheese
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2007, 4:41 pm

Bester wrote:
Hi, I'm a 28 year old male and I'm trying to move out of my mothers house.
It's extremely stressful. Every week I search through the newspaper looking for an apartment. However its hard finding an apartment at all, never mind one near the town center. I'm too anxious to drive, so it has to be near the town center. I would prefer to rent an apartment instead of a house because its easier to maintain. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Heh. For a moment I thought you needed help moving your video game collection, books, and furniture!

Me, I lucked out and have a mom who bought a place which I'm renting (although this is probably making me really weak because I'm not picking up the life-skills for true independence). But, that way, the money I pay for rent doesn't go into a black hole (ie: Landlord's pocket). I'm responsible for everything else, though (food, utilities, cable, etc.).

Craigslist usually has some pretty good listings, although you usually have to do lots and lots of digging.

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2007, 5:34 pm

I thought he needed help moving his House lol

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2007, 7:54 am

Hahaha .. :lol: .. I hope he doesn't need help moving .. I'm not very good at that (actually moving belongings).
(i hired a man-with-a-van when I moved)

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 8:29 am

On "apartment instead of house:" would you consider a co-op or condominium for the best of both worlds? You could own but still have all your maintenance done for you.

Are co-ops and condos common in the UK? Do they even exist?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Feb 2007, 10:53 am

i cant lift/move anything for 6-8 weeks, i just had hernia surgury. i'm not really staying in bed though because its basically boring. i just took a mouthfull of pain meds and will have to deal with it. i cant stay home. too boring