Writing about feelings between characters

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

Do you find it difficult to write about how one character feels about another? Or about how a character feels when certain things happen to them?

I wonder if my writing suffers from being devoid of, or has too little of, thoughts of feelings or subtle indications of how a character is feeling.

Things like: "She folded her arms and turned away from him." - That could mean she felt uncomfortable, or was trying to hide her reaction etc.

Do you wonder if your writing suffers from a lack of feeling? And if so what do you do to fix it?

Vacant_Entity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2014, 4:43 pm

I've found that quite often yes, my writing is just on facts and no feelings are really described. I find it helps to ask someone else what they would feel in the given situation, so you can add this to your writing

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 12:44 pm

That's a good idea. Often thought I wonder if its best to leave it to the reader. Perhaps imply the feelings by describing an action, however subtle, that would signal their feelings.

Obvious examples are:

He clenched his teeth - to indicate anger or pain
She passed a hand through her hair - to indicate flirtation or boredom

I also worry that I do not give any depth to my characters. I often do not see them as having defining memories or hopes for the future.