How good are you at replying to text messages?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 10:37 am

I would usually respond to a text either right away or within a few minutes of receiving it. It depends on what I am busy with at the time, but I would always reply to a text from a family member, friend, or my boyfriend.

backjruton
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm

Only my mum, dad, brother and close friend have my phone number and I reply to them all of the time because I have an app on my phone that brings a pop up every time I get a txt and mostly it's to check up on me to see if I get home safely when I walk back on Wednesdays and Thursdays from college :roll:

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm

I either think "I'll reply later", then forget to or just don't know what to say, so don't bother replying.

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

I tend to reply right away after I get the message, the key is get the message I've been known to be obsessed with something and not respond to a message for hours because I didn't check my phone. Sometimes I've made people mad because I see the message and reply and I wake someone up because then sent it at 9 pm and I responded at 12 am and they had already went to bed. I have to watch it and not send texts after a certain time at night but if I see a text for me it's like this desire to reply right away is strong and that can get me into trouble.

Eye test score: 21
AQ test score: 40.0 , AQ-10: 7.0
(RAADS-R): 183.0

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 2:38 pm

I think that this is their fault. If you want to reply to a text message then you should, it is their fault if they have their phone on so loud that it can wake them up at night or if they didn't just mute or turn it off.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 2:45 pm

While I don't have a problem thinking of a reply immediately after receiving a text, it does take a while for me to write one; it may take 10 to 15 minutes before I finish and send it. Mostly because I'm not used to it doing it all that often. This goes for both the old flip-phones with all the buttons, as well as the smartphone with its touch screen.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm

I have to use an application called "Swype" on my phone to type. It allows you to go from a letter and then connect the letters you want to form a word which is much quicker and easier for me as I am clumsy.
It also has a speak function which I use more.

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

LifUlfur wrote:
I think that this is their fault. If you want to reply to a text message then you should, it is their fault if they have their phone on so loud that it can wake them up at night or if they didn't just mute or turn it off.

Yes it may be there fault but it doesn't do well for trying to make relationships with people especially if they tell you not to text them after a certain time and you do because you lost track of time.

I recently lost a relationship because of texting and I still don't understand what happened, but I was calling her and than all a sudden she didn't want to talk to me so I didn't and than I called her one day and she was like oh that took courage to call me so I called her again and never got a hold of her, than one day left a message on her phone and she texted me back how I'm being obsessive and calling her too many times, and it made no sense to me because well she said I could call but she never answered the phone so I tried again another day. We than got in a texting fight, where I misunderstood so stuff and reacted, and she didn't understand me and the last text she wrote was " if you text me one more time I will copy all your texts to your parents and ask them how to get you to stop without a restraining order." That scared the crap out of me haven't texted or called her since. I just don't know how it ended up that way but apparently I was obsessive. I guess because she paid attention to me and listened to me when I called when she wouldn't listen anymore I had a hard time with it, I have a tendency to get obsessed with one person at times and tell them more than they want to know. Anyways what bugs me the most about this situation is I ran into her in a social setting and she completely ignored me I even tried to talk to her and she walked away, now even for someone who struggles with reading body language hers was so obviously not wanting to talk to me that I could read that message just fine when I can't always do that. It's really hard because at one point I was calling her everyday and now she won't even talk to me at all, all because a stupid text message fight, oh ya and how I got on it was she was one of the people who told me not to text after a certain time. I had a really hard time dealing with this situation and it's made it much harder to trust people and want to put any effort into making friendships because I'm not every good at it and get too obsessed with one person and than they back off and leave. :(

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm

I don't know whether this was your fault or not but I wouldn't be able to start a friendship with such a person, let alone maintain one.
IMO, you got the better end of this.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 3:31 pm

I only text one person when they visit for a week once a year and that's it. Otherwise I don't have anyone else to text. I suppose I could text my mother but neither of us have keyboards on our phones so it's a pita to text. Also it's usually cheaper to just call since our cell phones cost 20 cents a minute and our texts cost 15 cents for each one you send or receive. Our cell phone are cheap ones that only cost $20 every 3 months and are mostly for emergencies or if we are away from home and need to call a cab.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2014, 6:27 pm

Texting allows me more room to sound less awkward and more articulate. It would sometimes take me an hour to type out a response.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2014, 6:46 pm

I rarely send or receive texts as myself and most of my contacts prefer email (or telephone). My approach is the same for both though: how soon I reply is almost always down to how busy I am and the relative priority of the matter being discussed. The only exception is that for me, typing on a phone or tablet virtual keyboard is fiddly; so for non-urgent matters, I will sometimes reply later when I am at a computer with a full-sized keyboard.

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2014, 6:58 pm

I made this "friend" through a support type group. Most of the people I text are people from support groups or I know through some other setting don't really make my own friends very easily but ya.

I think texting was a god send for me because I hate phones and I can express myself in writing way better than verbally, well when it doesn't backfire.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 7:43 pm

Alla wrote:
Do you reply right away? Wait several hours or a day/days?

sometimes right away,sometimes hours or a day.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 9:20 pm

Few times I do get one, so I reply fast unless forget.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 3:22 am

That is one of the scariest avatars I have ever seen. What's it from?