How good are you at replying to text messages?

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aspieZim
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2014, 3:37 am

i prefer calling i'm still using one of those 'dumb' phones and it takes like 10 minutes to text anything. literally faster and much less painful to call.

figure if i ever upgrade to a smartphone i'd reply immediately when a response is needed.

I don't see a point not replying. it's not like i need to type a speech or write an essay.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 4:31 am

aspieZim wrote:
i prefer calling i'm still using one of those 'dumb' phones and it takes like 10 minutes to text anything. literally faster and much less painful to call.

figure if i ever upgrade to a smartphone i'd reply immediately when a response is needed.

I don't see a point not replying. it's not like i need to type a speech or write an essay.

My mum had an old phone for ages and something funny happened.
She learned to touch type on it and she still texts faster on and old one than on her iPhone 4s.
:D

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2014, 4:44 am

Terrible.

I'll get your text, but there's no guarantee I'll actually see it in a timely manner. I usually have it on vibrate, so it won't go off in class, and if I'm charging it, I'm usually in a different room.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 8:26 am

Not that great at replying. I don't have my phone on 100% of the time because I'm not usually in a place where I can charge it easily, so I tend to preserve the battery by keeping it off. Either way, most of my friends know that I prefer having conversations in real-time (face-to-face, Facebook, Skype, etc.) and if there was something urgent that people texted me about, I catch them either on Facebook or when I next see them.

Then I have done my job

alien91
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2014, 8:44 am

Depends on how much I like the person. If its a girl i like or a friend, i will respond immediately. If im busy , feeling anti-social, or i don't particularly care for the person it may take me awhile or i might never reply lol.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2014, 8:46 am

I usually reply timely, but I forgot if I don't. Also depends if I feel like talking.

Gizalba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 9:26 am

I find it really hard to reply to texts, or emails, forums etc because I seem to be rather OCD with my checking. I often read messages then leave it until later to reply to attempt to give myself perspective and not overthink it, however I inevitably struggle just as much to reply whether I do it straight away or leave it a few days. In fact if I leave it a few days (or weeks when I just can't deal with it!) it can actually become harder as it is then playing on my mind worrying that I want to reply and how I'm going to reply and what that person thinks about my delayed reply which is getting more delayed by the minute. Then it becomes a burden. However I do prefer to talk to people via writing which is why I still do it despite the anxiety. I will keep re-reading and editing messages, even really small ones, to check many things such as; whether the tone is as accurate to what I want it to be, whether I have used what I see as an acceptable number of smilies, the likelihood of misinterpretation and whether I could reduce that chance by altering it etc. I know these things usually really don't matter to the extent of the big deal I make it into, and are usually really insignificant to the receiver if it is informal communication, but I can't seem to stop checking as I get unbearably anxious if I send something without analysing it in detail first :/

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 9:46 am

I hate text messages and try to avoid them whenever possible. I'm more likely to reply to a text with a phone call or email.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

I try to reply as soon as I get it, and I always reply if it's something I know I can give a straight answer to right away and when I know that the person doesn't necessarily want to have a long conversation. However, if the person wants to chat for a while, there is a delay sometimes. There are some days when I just don't want to do social chit-chat: when I am doing homework, engaged in an interest, or am too socially worn out. The only exception to this is my boyfriend (unless I am doing schoolwork) as he is the person I am the most comfortable with. All of the friends I have are understanding of this and all of them seem to do the same thing as well - they will delay their texts back but they still happily get back to me and pick up from where we left off.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

DaveBacon
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2014, 1:03 pm

I have to reply straight away or else I'll forget or lose interest in replying. I prefer texting and emailing rather than actually speaking on the phone, but I hate it if someone makes a joke or sarcasm or something like that in a text because I just don't get it.

If I send a text to someone and they don't reply straight away it drives me insane. My best friend is the worst for this, sometimes she doesn't reply for days.

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2014, 5:33 pm

anneurysm wrote:
I try to reply as soon as I get it, and I always reply if it's something I know I can give a straight answer to right away and when I know that the person doesn't necessarily want to have a long conversation. However, if the person wants to chat for a while, there is a delay sometimes. There are some days when I just don't want to do social chit-chat: when I am doing homework, engaged in an interest, or am too socially worn out. The only exception to this is my boyfriend (unless I am doing schoolwork) as he is the person I am the most comfortable with. All of the friends I have are understanding of this and all of them seem to do the same thing as well - they will delay their texts back but they still happily get back to me and pick up from where we left off.

And you don't SMS people in the far Southeast corner of the world whom you've never actually met.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 6:57 pm

It often takes me a while because I keep my phone on silent while studying.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm

Myrtonos wrote:
anneurysm wrote:

And you don't SMS people in the far Southeast corner of the world whom you've never actually met.

That is correct. I also do not text anyone that I am not interested in communicating with, such as yourself. I would also appreciate if you would please stop replying to my posts. Thank you.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

I am good about replying in a timely manner.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:08 pm

anneurysm wrote:
Myrtonos wrote:
anneurysm wrote:

That is correct. I also do not text anyone that I am not interested in communicating with, such as yourself. I would also appreciate if you would please stop replying to my posts. Thank you.

I didn't understand what was going on there 8O .
Why did that person reply, how was it relevant?
So confused.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

I don't check email, I don't have a cellphone, I don't use any social media aside from message boards.