How to get better at understanding questions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Mar 2014, 2:33 pm

I have a problem understanding questions - test questions, interview questions, homework questions, everyday questions. I always answer them wrong or am unable to answer them very well unless I have answered them before. It is not like I don't know things, I just don't know what people are asking for. Thought I would grow out of it, or with more practice, I would get better - now I am 21 - but its not any different. Really hurting my grades, and has likely prevented me from getting a job several times now.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 2:51 pm

It's not that you don't understand the questions being ask. It's that you understand them too well and are giving a too perfect answer to them. It's hard to explain but it's an NT/aspie thing. You are applying too much logic to it.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 5:48 pm

Also, you could be trying to answer the question before you fully processed what the asker wanted. Give yourself a little time to think and don't feel rushed to say something immediately.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 6:25 pm

I'm like this too. I hope that I grow out of it or something. I read the report about me from when I was in testing, and it said that questions/instructions were repeated, clarified, and simplified. That did occur a lot, but it was apparently so prominent that it was to be noted.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 6:28 pm

sacrip wrote:
Also, you could be trying to answer the question before you fully processed what the asker wanted. Give yourself a little time to think and don't feel rushed to say something immediately.

That is also very true. Almost every time anybody says anything to me, I say, "what?" and then before they even repeat themselves, I then know what they said, because I just responded before I could even process it. It is a habit though, and I don't think that I'll ever get out of it.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

jamie2
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2014, 10:28 am

sacrip wrote:

Haha, I do this a lot, it gets me into trouble because I answer the question way before I know what is actually being said.