Autism Speaks and Google Sponser Investment conference

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:01 am

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/273229.php

My initial reaction is this seems a major development. I think it will alter things for us in both very good and very bad ways because because the history of the profit motive is replete with both results. I don't see why it would be different with autism.

Autism advocates have been ineffective in stopping Autism Speaks from demonizing us. Maybe big money telling them stop denigrating the Autism "brand" can get them to stop. Government here in the USA has been mostly trying to turn Autistic children into clones and ignoring Autistic Adults. Maybe private can do better even if it is for the "wrong" reason. Maybe I am just naive but my initial reaction is to be cautiously optimistic about this.

But right now nobody knows what will happen.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

I don't think that's the right link? Nothing to do with Google ...?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 9:54 pm

Corrected link
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101453479

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman