Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

When I was 17 I hanged out with my 15 year old brothers friends regurley. A lot of them knew I had aspergers and were accepting of me. My brother though was not always happy about me hanging out with his friends. I did not have many friends my own age.

There was one occasion when I was 17 when my brother and his friends were arranging to all meet up in the woods. I was very eager to go along to it but my bro stopped me dead in my tracks and said "don't come along because there will be 'girls' there."

I did not understand why that would matter if there girls there? What was my brother trying to warn me about perhaps?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm

ask him.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 1:32 pm

cathylynn wrote:
ask him.

"Haven't got anything good to say dont say anything at all"

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

2 thoughts.
He was afraid that you would appear odd, which would reflect badly on him and this would negatively effect his prospect or relationship with the girls.
Or a 17 guy would be socially uncomfortable with the age gap to 15 y.o. girls, especially if you are out of school or in university.

I agree that you should ask your brother why having girls present changes the situation of having you around.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 2:03 pm

nebrets wrote:
2 thoughts.
He was afraid that you would appear odd, which would reflect badly on him and this would negatively effect his prospect or relationship with the girls.
Or a 17 guy would be socially uncomfortable with the age gap to 15 y.o. girls, especially if you are out of school or in university.

I agree that you should ask your brother why having girls present changes the situation of having you around.

He was not saying that girls can be more 'judgemental' towards 'odd' behaviour right? Or maybe that the girls might have misinterpreted odd behaviour as sexual harassment?

Back then I walked with a weird gait

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 2:07 pm

I ran into situations like that when I was in school too. I remember being turned away from a few parties by others assuming to me that I would not like the activities going on that the parties. On both times that was drinking at the parties.

As for people on the spectrum associating with your sibling's friends, that not uncommon. I did it and it drove my sister and one of her friends nuts even though that friend learned to be graceful with me about things and allowed me to hang out.

As for the girl's thing, my sister is six years younger than I am and used to do something similar when she would be allowed to use things like an old camera or even the computer. Then when I would get a chance to use it and she had to nerve to talk down to me by saying things like "That's not a toy." I absolutely hate it when someone like that assumes that because we look a certain way on the outside rather than look on what is on the inside.

So the next time someone like your brother talks to you like that, I would look at him and say 'Yeah what of it? I think I know what a girl is, a boy with boobs,"\

Lol :lol: